You people were right, I should've clarified.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i agree with transk, if its a good instructor you dont need to ask. when the time is right the instructor will promote when he sees thestudent has met a certain standard. if this is how the instrucuctor works good for him. but some will allow questions, good for him too. either way when a student works with one of those students, the important thing to do is DONT ARGUE! their dojo their rules. i could understand a student qurious when they will get their next rank. but if the instructor dosnt want to answer his wishes should be respected too.

this is me to bigtime... i ask my instructor multiple questions every class (i make sure to do it at apropriate times afcoarse)

Last edited:
OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
i agree with transk, if its a good instructor you dont need to ask. when the time is right the instructor will promote when he sees thestudent has met a certain standard. if this is how the instrucuctor works good for him. but some will allow questions, good for him too. either way when a student works with one of those students, the important thing to do is DONT ARGUE! their dojo their rules. i could understand a student qurious when they will get their next rank. but if the instructor dosnt want to answer his wishes should be respected too.

this is me to bigtime... i ask my instructor multiple questions every class (i make sure to do it at apropriate times afcoarse)

I agree, a student shouldn't argue. But just because a student asks questions doesn't mean they're arguing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1555569_10152568140017607_8418996848586469231_n.jpg

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
how many students tell their instructor they are not ready for the test or tell him they do not deserve the rank ?
I know I never felt I was ready to get more rank maybe because it meant more responsibility or I was comparing myself to those who already had that rank.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many students tell their instructor they are not ready for the test or tell him they do not deserve the rank ?
I know I never felt I was ready to get more rank maybe because it meant more responsibility or I was comparing myself to those who already had that rank.

I have for sure, I had to be persuaded to test for 1st Dan. I've known others too who has said they weren't ready. Often I think we can put ourselves down and think we can't do it whereas the instructor, because they have more experience, can say yes we are ready to grade. I think it's hard as well to see improvements you've made or that you have gained knowledge but you can see it in others so you think you aren't ready for grading.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have for sure, I had to be persuaded to test for 1st Dan. I've known others too who has said they weren't ready. Often I think we can put ourselves down and think we can't do it whereas the instructor, because they have more experience, can say yes we are ready to grade. I think it's hard as well to see improvements you've made or that you have gained knowledge but you can see it in others so you think you aren't ready for grading.

One of the biggest determining factors in regards to whether or not you will pass a test for a rank is self confidence. There's been students who've given up in the middle of the test because they just didn't think they could do it. When you test, or even when you just train, you've got to go in with the attitude that you will do your best and that way, whether you pass or fail you know you've given it your all. And if you do fail you should learn from that, you should know why you failed and so you will need to know what you have to work on.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

My first white belt is definatly my favorite belt. I still keep it in my bag at all times in case I take a class in an art I am not graded (BJJ now and then) or I or a friend forget their belt at home. Have used it in many arts and at times friends or family have borrowed it for extended periods of time. It is like an old friend who has been there for the whole journey.

And let us not forget, the black belt turns white over time.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest determining factors in regards to whether or not you will pass a test for a rank is self confidence. There's been students who've given up in the middle of the test because they just didn't think they could do it. When you test, or even when you just train, you've got to go in with the attitude that you will do your best and that way, whether you pass or fail you know you've given it your all. And if you do fail you should learn from that, you should know why you failed and so you will need to know what you have to work on.

Yeah. It is better to have tried and failed, and not try at all. I know one thing for sure, I do not tests very well at all irrespective of the subject matter. Scary things are those tests.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first white belt is definatly my favorite belt. I still keep it in my bag at all times in case I take a class in an art I am not graded (BJJ now and then) or I or a friend forget their belt at home. Have used it in many arts and at times friends or family have borrowed it for extended periods of time. It is like an old friend who has been there for the whole journey.

And let us not forget, the black belt turns white over time.

Your white belt must be getting dirty since you've had it for so long and used it so much, it might even be turning black.

And yes the black belt does turn white over time, and that's a sign of true experience, a black belt with the color coming off with use that is going to white.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yes the black belt does turn white over time, and that's a sign of true experience, a black belt with the color coming off with use that is going to white.
Or that you wash it alot. Or you purposely destressed it to look old. Or its just a cheap belt

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your white belt must be getting dirty since you've had it for so long and used it so much, it might even be turning black.

Yeah, but it will look worn though. Real signs of age. The washing to remove colour, would not show such age. So yeah, you are right. However, that does not mean the wearer has.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, but it will look worn though. Real signs of age. The washing to remove colour, would not show such age. So yeah, you are right. However, that does not mean the wearer has.

A belt gets worn with use rather than age. You can get a belt and hang it up on your wall and never wear it or train with it and it will not get worn. On the other hand if you train with it constantly it will get worn and faded much faster.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A belt gets worn with use rather than age. You can get a belt and hang it up on your wall and never wear it or train with it and it will not get worn. On the other hand if you train with it constantly it will get worn and faded much faster.

Yeah, but in a natural state.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

You do know that this is a parable?

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
At a guess, you are hungry for a Black belt, but not quite there. Then again, I feel you are just being disingenuous.
More along the lines that I didn't get a black belt when I had hoped to.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

It is just a light brown or grey in places. Would post a picture but seem to have a problem with adding to my galleries right now...

Latest Discussions