YMCA Martial Arts Programs

S

superdave

Has anyone ever taken a martial arts class thru the YMCA? If yes, how well was the program run? Any problems of any type? The reason that I am asking is there is a Y very close to my home and they have Chin-Na classes that I would like to check out. All responses are welcome.

Thanks.

SuperDave :)

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Y is good because there is not a lot of overhead for the instructor so it helps keep the cost down. A couple of problems: class can get bumped. The program director may bump the martial arts class for something else. Also if the class doesn't keep up its membership, it may be cancelled.
But usually these issues don't come up often, it depends on the YMCA's program director. Some are cool to martial arts, others aren't.
:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

It depends, but for the Y, I think boxing or wrestling is the best of MA classes they have to offer. The instructors of the Eastern MA's are usually students themselves of a specialized dojo, around 2nd or 3rd dan.

OP
C

Chiduce

I do not teach at the YMCA myself, but my sifu teaches Tai Chi Ch'uan YWCA . To my knowledge martial arts classes at the local Y's, Boy's/Girls Club's, and Community Center's have very good instructors which tend not to hold back knowledge to their classes. The classes are usually oriented toward a family fellowship approach, with class fee's substantially lower than the city norm.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Chiduce

I do not teach at the YMCA myself, but my sifu teaches Tai Chi Ch'uan YWCA . To my knowledge martial arts classes at the local Y's, Boy's/Girls Club's, and Community Center's have very good instructors which tend not to hold back knowledge to their classes. The classes are usually oriented toward a family fellowship approach, with class fee's substantially lower than the city norm.
Sincerely, In Humility;
Chiduce!

I have found the same thing. We train in a "Y" . Usually after the aerobics classes are done. Sometimes they run a little late but there are no classes after ours so we can run later if need be.. The fees are a lot lower so we don't mind.

Gene Gabel:asian:

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I trained at the "Y" in Judo and Shotokan karate and I taught Tae Kwon Do at the local YMCA. It is a great experience. I would not have it any other way.

A WARNING: The Teacher makes the difference. Observe a class or two and ask questions of the teacher AND the students.
I was observing a Kenjutsu class at the YMCA and asked a simple question. I asked how much the monthly dues were. NOBODY could tell me. I later found out that the dues were Automatically subtracted from their checking account and the people had no idea how much was being taken!!!!

Thanks
Jeremy Bays

Latest Discussions