Yipman's Lineage

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Find your lineage among Those:

e.g. My lineage is the following: Sifu Thomas Mannes, Master Kernspecht, GM Leung Ting, Yipman.

These are the name of the Yipman's students who were known and popular. (sorted Alphebatically)

Bruce Lee,
Chow Tse Chun,
Choy Siu Kwong,
Chris Chan,
Duncan Leung,
Hawkins Cheung,
Ho Kam Ming,
Jiu Wan,
Kan Victor,
Lee Che Kong,
Lee Shing,
Leung Sheung,
Leung Ting,
Lo Man Kam,
Lok Yiu,
Moy Yat,
Tam Lai,
Tsui Seung Tin,
Wang Kiu,
William Cheung,
Wong Long,
Wong Shun Leung,
Yip Chun,
Yip Ching,

other students who trained with Yipman are:

Au Chi Keung
Au Tong
Chan Hon Man
Chan Jo Lee
Chan Kin Hay
Chan Nuen Lam
Chan Sui Lung
Chan Tai Yim
Chan Tak Chui
Chan Wai Hong
Chan Ching-Man
Chan Chi-Shun
Chan Kam-Ming
Chan Kao Chan Shing
Chan Shing-Tao
Chan Wing
Chan Wun-Lam
Chang Tai-Yim
Chang Tok-Jiu
Cheung Hung
Cheung Peter
Cheun Kong Nang
Cheung Ching On
Cheung Bun
Cheung Kong
Cheung Yu Wing
Chiu Van
Chiu Wan (Chiu Wun)
Chow Kong Chi
Chow Lok Chi
Chow Tze Cheun
Chow Yiu Shing
Chung Man Kam
Chung Wing Kong
Cheung Yiu-Wing
Chi On Cho
Chi Chow Kwong-Yiu
Chow Lok-Jee
Chow Sai
Choy Siu-Kwong
Chung Kam-Chuen
Chung Yao
Fong Ming Bew
Fong Yiu
Fung Hon, Stewart Fung
Fung Ping Boi
Ho Chi Hon
Ho Kai Lun
Ho Leun
Hon Kam Ming
Hon Chak Cheun
Hui Siu Cheong
Hui Yin Leung
Kam Man Chun
Ho Kui-Wah
Hui Lee
Jun Ching-On
Kong Wai
Kwok Cze Yan
Kwok Keung
Kan Wah-Chit
Kwok Fu
Lam Ying-Fat
Lee Cheung
Lee Fat-Chi
Lee Kam-Sing
Lee Leung-Fun
Lee Man
Lun Gai
Lai Bong Seck
Lai Kui Wing Baptista
Lai Tak Keung
Lam Kwok Wing
Lau Cheun
Lau Dik
Lau Hon Lam
Lau Ming
Lau Wai
Law Bing/Yan
Law Chung Yin
Lee Hon
Lee Kam Wah
Lee Kui On
Lee Ngai Ming
Lee Ngan Foon
Lee Shing
Lee Ting Wah Jackson
Lee Wai Chi, Kam On
Lee Wing
Lee Yan Wing
Lee Yiu Fai
Lo Bang
Lo Chek Sang
Lo Tai
Lo Wing Bong
Ma Hang Lum Andrew
Mak Po Shing
Man Siu Hung
Man Yin Kwong
Miao Yin Lun
Maio Yin Wai
Mo Kee
Mok Po
Ng Ying
Ng Yuet-Do
Ng Chan
Pang Che Yam
Pang Kam Fat, Henry
Poon Bing Lit
She Mei King
Siu Yak Man
Tam Lai
Tsui Cho
Tang Sang
Tang Sik Ki
Ting Yuk Lan
Tong Jo Chi
Tong Tze Cheun
Tse Chiu Hung
Tsui Kong Tin
Wat Yung Sang
Wong Chung Nin
Wong Si Wing
Wong Hon Chung
Wong Hei
Wang Kiu
Wong Kwok Yau
Wong Kwok
Wong Ling
Wong Long Ching
Wong Pak Yee
Wong Tak
Wong Tsok
Wong Yam Tsung
Wong Yat Hang
Wong Yee Lai Ivan
Wu Yau
Wong Chi-Ming
Wong Chuk
Wong Jee-Wing
Wong Wei
Yau Hak So
Yuen May-Keung
Yeung Chung Hon
Yeung Hei
Yeung Tse Wai Chu
Yeung Wing
Yip Bo Ching
Yip Kim Ching
Yip Shing Cheuk
Yip Yin
Yuen Chi Kong
Yau Ma-Tei

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Oh, a direct Lineage. What a lucky guy you are.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Oh, a direct Lineage. What a lucky guy you are.

It gets luckier, I train one on one with him, he only has a handful of students that he wants to focus on developing, so it is very much like a family, I am very blessed

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Regarding your sifu, how old is he now? I think that he definitely met the Gongsau. Just ask him about what do he thinks of Sifu Wong next time you train with him. I wanted to know how Yipman's students thinks of him.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
Regarding your sifu, how old is he now? I think that he definitely met the Gongsau. Just ask him about what do he thinks of Sifu Wong next time you train with him. I wanted to know how Yipman's students thinks of him.

I asked him about WSL about 6 months ago when I returned from Melbourne after having a training session with David Peterson, (He invited me to one of his classes after i had introduced myself and asked if I could meet him [he is a very accomadating man who is passionate about his art and his Sifu]), Sifu of course has fond memories of WSL, and spoke of him fondly (as I was told WSL also spoek highly of Sifu [In fact David Peterson told me something that WSL had said about my Sifu that knocked my socks of]). WSL's Wing Chun and my Sifus Wing Chun was very similar in many respects, I have seen clips of WSL fighting (the sparring on the set of "enter the Dragon") and seen Sifu demonstrating his fighting, I remarked to Sifu that he and WSL where very similoar in the way that they fought Sifu smiled and said of course thats how we all where aggressive. His comments also where on WSL's prowess as a fighter, yes all good comments by sifu.

By the way he is pushing mid to late sixties, and would still kick anyones Gluteous Maximus ;)

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
bcbernam777 said:
I asked him about WSL about 6 months ago when I returned from Melbourne after having a training session with David Peterson, (He invited me to one of his classes after i had introduced myself and asked if I could meet him [he is a very accomadating man who is passionate about his art and his Sifu]), Sifu of course has fond memories of WSL, and spoke of him fondly (as I was told WSL also spoek highly of Sifu [In fact David Peterson told me something that WSL had said about my Sifu that knocked my socks of]). WSL's Wing Chun and my Sifus Wing Chun was very similar in many respects, I have seen clips of WSL fighting (the sparring on the set of "enter the Dragon") and seen Sifu demonstrating his fighting, I remarked to Sifu that he and WSL where very similoar in the way that they fought Sifu smiled and said of course thats how we all where aggressive. His comments also where on WSL's prowess as a fighter, yes all good comments by sifu.

By the way he is pushing mid to late sixties, and would still kick anyones Gluteous Maximus ;)

I tried to search about your Sifu but did not find the enough information I need. Just his name was mentioned in Yipman's students list.
Please if you can provide me with any information about his biography and perhaps some pics and videos if available, it would be something great. I look forward to know about him, especially that you told me that he is very loyal and helpful, it seems that he developed a certain method of teaching in order to have a solid foundation of Wing chun in his students footwork and balance.

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
There is a Wing Chun School near me and I believe the Sifu is a student of Yip Ching.

I have a little knowledge about Masters Yip Ching and Yip chun. Can I know why Yipman taught them Wing Chun in a late stage of their lives, and why they are mostly related to the UK teachings of Wing chun. I once saw master Yip Ching in a meeting with our Grandmaster of Wing Tsun Leung Ting, in which they were discussing issues about the system and its concepts.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
I have a little knowledge about Masters Yip Ching and Yip chun. Can I know why Yipman taught them Wing Chun in a late stage of their lives, and why they are mostly related to the UK teachings of Wing chun. I

I can't answer the question, I know the Sifu of the Wing Chun School near me and it is in NY, but I am not one of his students.

I run into him from time to time during my work day if I remember I will ask if he knows. I do know he is absolutly thrilled with what he has learned from Yip Ching. This Sifu learned from someone else and had his own school prior to starting his studies with Yip Ching.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
sam kwok - yip ching - yip man

sam kwok - yip chun - yip man

Sam has represented both sons of yip man and continues to do so in his representation of yip man wing chun kung fu.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study under Kevin Shea in San Francisco. Kevin has been a student of Wing Chun for about 35 years, and has studied under Chris and Stanley Chan. I see Chris on your first list, but I don't see Stanley on either list. He could be listed under his Chinese name, and I don't know what that is. Stanley is the older of the two brothers, and studied longer under Yip Man. Stanley has also very much shunned the public eye, and only teaches a handful of students. Chris has had an active school for many years and is much better known.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There is also an old Chinese guy north of me that only trains people that already know a lot of Wing Chun, I can't remember his name, and I have been looking for it. But I did check the Yip Mann Lineage back when I first heard about him and there is a name there that is the same.

If I find it I will post it.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Starting to feel left out now, the master of our association is James Sinclair, take it no-one's heard of him....?? Although what his lineage is, is beyond me.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Starting to feel left out now, the master of our association is James Sinclair, take it no-one's heard of him....?? Although what his lineage is, is beyond me.

Lineage guarantees only one thing, the person learned from a famous teacher.

It does not necessarily mean a good teacher and not having that lineage does not necessarily mean a bad teacher.

If Mr. Sinclair is good at Wing Chun and a good teacher, who cares about his lineage.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Lineage guarantees only one thing, the person learned from a famous teacher.

It does not necessarily mean a good teacher and not having that lineage does not necessarily mean a bad teacher.

If Mr. Sinclair is good at Wing Chun and a good teacher, who cares about his lineage.

Kinda what I was thinking. All's well that ends well then eh? :)

OP
yipman_sifu

yipman_sifu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Kinda what I was thinking. All's well that ends well then eh? :)

You may be in the Yipman lineage, but due to the many students his students taught it is some time difficult to know the connection between your Sifu and Yipman, and suppose you were not from Yipman's lineage. It is like we said depends on your sifu skill, doesn't matter about the lineage as much as the skill of individual's in training.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yipman_sifu said:
You may be in the Yipman lineage, but due to the many students his students taught it is some time difficult to know the connection between your Sifu and Yipman, and suppose you were not from Yipman's lineage. It is like we said depends on your sifu skill, doesn't matter about the lineage as much as the skill of individual's in training.

Although I am very impressed with Wing Chun, I do not do Wing Chun, so I have never checked to deeply into this, but who was Yip Mann's teacher?

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:

I've heard of him and trained with some of his ex students that moved away from the area they were in.

He learnt from simon lau who was a student of lee shing. However he went on like many, to learn from yip chun and perhaps his biography gives a better insight into why:

http://www.ukwingchun.com/Master_James_Sinclair.htm

Lineage means nothing, how far up on the family tree certainly matters nothing if you have a good teacher. Unfortunately a lot of people are blinded by this and chase lineage and neagate good sifus in order to get closer to the top.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Although I am very impressed with Wing Chun, I do not do Wing Chun, so I have never checked to deeply into this, but who was Yip Mann's teacher?

Yip man learnt from chan wah shun and leung bik

Latest Discussions