Xma

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, can someone tell me where you could find an XMA (Extreme Martial arts) dojo in Northern Ireland?

I appreciate all the replies,

Bobby.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that the gymnastics in a funny gi I saw on TV?

Cthulhu

OP
bobster_ice

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its like gymnastics, acrobats and martial arts all piled in together, so yes it is like gymnastics.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, You may want to find a good "JUDO" school. You will find it is excellent martial art that will get you ready for any XMA type of schools.

Judo has grappling,chokes,locks, and striking techniques. Learning how to fall and land is very important. Learning throws will help you in all grappling arts.

Some of the top Mix martial artist are Judo experts...research this! ...Just my thoughts on this.....Aloha

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He's talking about the Acrobatic stuff, not the fighting stuff ;)

I can't help, but expect a lot of negative responses. Something about athleticism and performance turns a lot of martial artists off :D

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's talking about the Acrobatic stuff, not the fighting stuff ;)

I can't help, but expect a lot of negative responses. Something about athleticism and performance turns a lot of martial artists off :D

I WAS going to resist the urge.. but given this springboard I just can't.

Nothing wrong with athleticism and performance, but (and I love this quote)

"Flash without strong basics is trash."

Most XMA stylists I've seen (and I haven't seen all that many) have really crappy basic techniques. Sure, they get lots of cheers from the crowd, but it seems to me they are just half-assed martial artists and half-assed gymnasts and half-assed acrobats. Wait.... that's three halves :)

IMO, they should focus that athleticism into ONE of the three and REALLY shine by proving they can so SOMETHING well.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it seems to me they are just half-assed martial artists and half-assed gymnasts and half-assed acrobats. Wait.... that's three halves :)

IMO, they should focus that athleticism into ONE of the three and REALLY shine by proving they can so SOMETHING well.

Oh, I don't know. I mean, they can't fight, but then a lot of the 'real' Martial Artists I've seen couldn't fight worth a damn anyway. The XMA guys certainly put on a good show, though, so more power to them!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
A better name would be EX-MA :flame:

Must... resist.. posting.. more... crap..
quiet.gif

Shotgun Buddha

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey everybody, can someone tell me where you could find an XMA (Extreme Martial arts) dojo in Northern Ireland?

I appreciate all the replies,

Bobby.

I see from your profile that you're into Parkour? Your best bet would be find a good Parkour crew to train with, and also look for somewhere that does Capoeira, and mix the two yourself.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps there basics are just different then yours? Afterall the art has an entirely different prupose.

And I'd give edge to a lot of XMA stylists over a good number of traditional ones in a "real" fight based purely on athleticism. Same for athletes of other sports that require a high level of athleticism.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps there basics are just different then yours? Afterall the art has an entirely different prupose.

And I'd give edge to a lot of XMA stylists over a good number of traditional ones in a "real" fight based purely on athleticism. Same for athletes of other sports that require a high level of athleticism.

I can see many similarities between XMA and WWF. The only things XMA doesn't have (yet) are characters, drama, and matches for a belt.

OP
bobster_ice

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see from your profile that you're into Parkour? Your best bet would be find a good Parkour crew to train with, and also look for somewhere that does Capoeira, and mix the two yourself.
Thats a good idea. I havnt done parkour since august....Very bad weather in Northern Ireland, well in the winter.

Latest Discussions