Schools in and around Chicago

akelkar

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for martial arts classes in and around the chicago area. I'm interested in Karate, TKD, XMA and wushu. The only school that I've heard of is Sharkey's Karate in NAperville. I'm going to move to the chicago area soon and proximity to excellent martial arts schools will be a deciding factor. I know I cant do all those arts, but I will pick a schedule that works best.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know some of the guys from Sharkey's. They tend to be very capable MAists. But be aware, not everyone of them are very pleasant to be around. Some of them are very conseded and know they are very good.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for martial arts classes in and around the chicago area. I'm interested in Karate, TKD, XMA and wushu. The only school that I've heard of is Sharkey's Karate in NAperville. I'm going to move to the chicago area soon and proximity to excellent martial arts schools will be a deciding factor. I know I cant do all those arts, but I will pick a schedule that works best.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

One of our senior students was a student of Sharkeys for a long time, he says good things about them.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Napperville area is full of schools (both good & otherwise). I'd encourage you to look at several different types of schools & ask a lot of questions. Sorry, I don't have a specific school to recommend.

Best wishes.

OP
A

akelkar

White Belt
Reaction score
I know some of the guys from Sharkey's. They tend to be very capable MAists. But be aware, not everyone of them are very pleasant to be around. Some of them are very conseded and know they are very good.

Are you referring to the instructors or the students?

OP
A

akelkar

White Belt
Reaction score
Are you moving to Naperville?

Well, actually I'm graduating in May from Bradley U. and I may take up a job offer in Northbrook. So I'll get an apartment equidistant from the job and from the martial arts school that I choose.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's FMA, but Ken Smith's school is in Chicago. His school name is Islander's Karate. He's a great teacher if you're interested.

:)