Kung Fu - From Grasshopper to Caine

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The first video is the opening of the original TV series Kung Fu... the other three are a documentary of the making of the show...

[yt]T6Yx_tPxisc[/yt]

[yt]zj_d7BJnAV8[/yt]

[yt]bm-l7qH59dg[/yt]

[yt]SJnObZia268[/yt]

I hope everyone enjoys the step back in time...

Kwai Chang Kaine for President!

Yours in the arts,

Andrew

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I was a huge fan of the original "Kung Fu" series. I even read the "series" paperbacks that were available. Who is up for a updated version? I mean set as the original, but with new players, and BETTER action. Someone playing Caine, like Chris Cassamassa, or an Eastern/Western actor. Who has real CMA skills! I think it would be a huge hit in todays market. Anyone gotta fat wallet they wanna get up off of?

1stJohn1:9

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh yeah! I was a huge fan of the original "Kung Fu" series. I even read the "series" paperbacks that were available. Who is up for a updated version? I mean set as the original, but with new players, and BETTER action. Someone playing Caine, like Chris Cassamassa, or an Eastern/Western actor. Who has real CMA skills! I think it would be a huge hit in todays market. Anyone gotta fat wallet they wanna get up off of?

It would become a wire fu movie LOL.
No, it was great the way it was...I never liked remakes.

Robert Lee

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The old kung Fu series helped bring many a person to start training in a M/A art.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was stated above "Kane for President". Since he is foreign-born, he could not be president. Emperor, however, is another story:mst:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I agree with charyuop. The original series was very well made and well done. First to employ slow-motion camera techniques to the fight scenes.
And really IMO the show was about the philosophy of the Shaolin and Caine's intent to find his own center after the loss of his beloved Master Po. Yeah, yeah, yeah he was going to try and find his long lost half brother Daniel (cue Elton John music)...but it became a reason for his internal searching.
I think a remaking of the show would probably ruin it for a lot of people who enjoyed it (and the re-runs). I mean aren't there enough remakes coming out of hollywood already?

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I absolutely agree that the O.K.S. was great for its time, but I think an updated version would do well. I don't mean with the wires and all. I mean new technology, better over all understanding of the martial arts within the general public. Coincindentally, I was channel surfing the other night, and ran across an episode on a channel called EYE, or ONE. It seemed dated to me, and I am a fan. The fight choreoghraphy was not real good. Punches, and kicks were being thrown that were painfully off mark. I really think that an updated version would do well in todays market. A show case for the C.M.A.s' as well as an opportunity for other m.a.s' to be introduced. Think of the story lines; The Royal Court hires mercenaries from around the known world,Russia(Sambo),France(Savate),Greece(Pankration),etc.,etc.. There is just a plethora of interesting stuff out there. Do I not have any with me?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Chris Cassamassa?? The Power Ranger dude?? He's American Karate stuff/XMA... no CMA.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just used him(Chris Cassamasa) as an example of new blood. Although, I believe that the Red Dragon Karate system has C.M.A. roots?

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe not many people know that it did exist a second series of Kung Fu (I don't recall the title). It was always with Carradine and it was set in our days. I don't remember if he was a descendent of the original or what...In the show he was helping out a guy, I guess the nephew, who was a cop.
But it didn't have much seccess...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to IMDB.com it was Kung Fu: The Legend Continues ... it ran for 71 episodes 1993 to 1997 and had David Carridine playing an older Kwai Chang Caine and Chris Potter (who??) playing his nephew Peter Caine. http://imdb.com/title/tt0103460/
Plot synopsis here:
Kwai Chang Caine was a priest at a Shaolin temple, where his son Peter also lived and studied. The temple was destroyed and father and son each thought the other had perished in the fire. For many years, Kwai Chang 'walked the earth,' while Peter became a big-city cop. Finally, they are reunited and now together they battle evil, using wisdom, martial arts, and occasionally even Peter's service pistol (only as a last resort).
Yeah it probably didn't do too well (remember watching but not remembering one episode of it) considering that Kwai Chang would've been over 100 yrs old by he reached our day-n-age. Not very plausable to say the least... and the fact that Kwai wouldn't have touched a gun if his life depended upon it. So they blew it as far as being a continuation of Kwai Chang's life. Still for 71 episodes they must've been doing something right... :idunno: I just didn't pay it that much attention.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-OMG!!! People, Kung-Fu the Legend Continues is one of my favorite shows. The grandson of Kwai-Chang Caine, brought forth into the modern world, at least of the 90s, separated from his son 15 years prior to the present moment, (an insidious attack on their temple, each believed the other to have died), reunited I think in...well, not sure if they ever said what city they were in, though I had the feeling it was in Canada. Anyways, the son, Peter Caine, has grown up to become a cop and while investigating an incident in Chinatown, reunites with his father. The series had many memorable scenes and characters, at least for me. Been waiting for the series to be released on DVD, though a friend said he bought it off the internet on VHS. Having watched both series, I can say that I prefer the later one, probably just because the special effects are better, the stories are better, the characters more in-depth. I reccommend highly.

A--->

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
-OMG!!! People, Kung-Fu the Legend Continues is one of my favorite shows. The grandson of Kwai-Chang Caine, brought forth into the modern world, at least of the 90s, separated from his son 15 years prior to the present moment, (an insidious attack on their temple, each believed the other to have died), reunited I think in...well, not sure if they ever said what city they were in, though I had the feeling it was in Canada. Anyways, the son, Peter Caine, has grown up to become a cop and while investigating an incident in Chinatown, reunites with his father. The series had many memorable scenes and characters, at least for me. Been waiting for the series to be released on DVD, though a friend said he bought it off the internet on VHS. Having watched both series, I can say that I prefer the later one, probably just because the special effects are better, the stories are better, the characters more in-depth. I reccommend highly.

A--->

:idunno: to each their own I guess... the (newer) show never did anything for me... but then again, I only watched one episode and it didn't grab me... sooo perhaps if it's rerun-ed then I'll give it a try... for now it's not around in my area anyway.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-It was in syndication for a few years after it ended but I haven't seen it recently. In fact, I don't watch much t.v. these days. I would say that you have to watch more than one episode to get anything from it, maybe start at the beginning. For example, my favorite show of all time is Highlander the Series. Now, the first season is okay, but all the seasons after are so much better. Might take a show a season to really find its place. Course, in this day, if a new show can even last a month, its a miracle. Shows that don't get the big numbers quickly or the numbers drop off after the first and second episode often get the chop. Some would say prematurely. Thats televison for you. No wonder I don't watch much anymore. Groovy.

A--->

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked them both. I remember when I was a freshman in college, and my roommate went to bed before me (which was weird, as she also got up after me) laying in bed with the volume really low, watching the original Star Trek and then the original Kung Fu - they ran back to back, starting at 11 pm. Of course, that was back when I could go to sleep at 1, get up at 7, and be just fine...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- No wonder I don't watch much anymore. Groovy.

A--->
Oh yeah I know what ya mean... because last night I was trying to watch one of my favorite old shows M*A*S*H and they kept pissing me off because they kept cutting to commercial every three minutes... and running ten minutes of commercials after that! "C'mon!!!" sigh... no wonder I've turned off commercialized television and switched to just good ole uninteruppted DVD's.

Sheesh!

Latest Discussions