Xingyi... Really...

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A ton of freaking fun was had yesterday doing Gao Xingyi. My forearms are nice & sore & even a little bruised from the app drilling we did. It's been a long time since anybody's made enough contact on my forearms to bruise them. Whatta blast!!!!!!

If you're not doing xingyi & want to do a no BS get to it kinda thing, stop, slap yourself & go find a good solid xingyi teacher. Then get the bang on...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Welcome to the Xingyiquan "genuine, certifiable MA House O' Pain maniac" club :EG:

psst... and don't t ell anyone I said this...Police/Military Sanda is equally as painful to train :EG:

That is why I LIKE EM'!!! :EG:

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I used to train that way with my CLF training brothers, but life causes things to change & I didn't have anybody to train with.

Damn if I don't know & damn if it didn't hurt in that good way that only a MA'er understands.

I like the guy teaching too. He teaches along the lines that I do. I don't teach as a "get fit" thing, so the only warm ups we do are horses & drills. If you want exercise, go to a frikkin gym. Al's there to teach us to hit & hit hard... no qigong or post standing. Straight to walking the roads & drills. We can do standing on our own & like he says, it shows if you do.

Too bad for me it's only once a week. But that's ok... I got enough in that one class to last me all week.

Gotta go & decant my jow I've had brewing for a bit & get some more stewing. It's gonna be great!!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in :disgust: :uhyeah:

IMO Santi Shi is INCREDIBLY important to Xingyiquan. It is where that “Xingyiquan hits like a truck” thing comes from. But then I am looking at this from a Hebei Style perspective. I do believe that beginners should be shown the proper way to stand and I do belevie that the goal should be at least 30 minutes per side.

However looking at this from the POV of martial arts class in the USA it is highly unlikely that you will ever find a class that takes 1 hour and dedicates it to only Santi Shi.

My second Xingyiquan sifu made us stand anywhere from 5 minutes to 10 minutes per side at the beginning of class for the first few classes (He also got into Wuji and Zhan Zhaung from time to time) but after that he said it was up to us to train on our own. Then he focused on Forms, applications and other Xingyiquan drills. But all were painful in a good way IMO so it was all good training

But in Hebei Santi Shi is only the first standing posture there are others that are equally as important but I believe that they are more important to the 12 animal forms than Wuxingquan. Since I was only shown the tiger form before he stop the class I really did not get into those

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I used to train that way with my CLF training brothers, but life causes things to change & I didn't have anybody to train with.

Damn if I don't know & damn if it didn't hurt in that good way that only a MA'er understands.

I like the guy teaching too. He teaches along the lines that I do. I don't teach as a "get fit" thing, so the only warm ups we do are horses & drills. If you want exercise, go to a frikkin gym. Al's there to teach us to hit & hit hard... no qigong or post standing. Straight to walking the roads & drills. We can do standing on our own & like he says, it shows if you do.

Too bad for me it's only once a week. But that's ok... I got enough in that one class to last me all week.

Gotta go & decant my jow I've had brewing for a bit & get some more stewing. It's gonna be great!!!!

hey, I feel your pain - pun intended.

I also was solo for a long time in my White Crane training. Eventually, when a couple guys came into sifu's class who wanted to learn White Crane, he gave them to me and I've been working with them for a couple years now. One of the first things I started doing with them, once they understood some basic technique, was to drill hands-on, impact stuff. It hurts, I go home with arms that ache for days afterwards. Getting your punches beat down with a hard Pek Choi, is just plain painful. Takes the fight right out of you. Now do it over and over. Now take combos from the form and work them hands-on. They hurt too, when you are uke. It's how it ought to be done. I love it, it's what was missing from my training for a long time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Takes the fight right out of you. Now do it over and over. Now take combos from the form and work them hands-on. They hurt too, when you are uke. It's how it ought to be done. I love it, it's what was missing from my training for a long time.

I think you just hit on something that has been bugging me awhile now.

I am no Sadomasochist (although I am a genuine, certifiable MA House O' Pain maniac :EG:) but training CMA IS going to hurt if done right and it is a part of the training that should not be removed or avoided.

:hmm: More to think about

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you just hit on something that has been bugging me awhile now.

I am no Sadomasochist (although I am a genuine, certifiable MA House O' Pain maniac :EG:) but training CMA IS going to hurt if done right and it is a part of the training that should not be removed.

:hmm: More to think about

YES!

Injury - NO, but training includes a certain amount of impact and rough treatment, and that's what you need to learn to use this stuff. You shouldn't go home injured, but you should go home knowing you've been worked over.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
YES!

Injury - NO, but training includes a certain amount of impact and rough treatment, and that's what you need to learn to use this stuff. You shouldn't go home injured, but you should go home knowing you've been worked over.

This was a part of Sanda training, Wing Chun training and Xingyiquan training and a while back Taijiquan training but these days it seems to be missing from Taijiquan and THAT is what has been bugging me. Although Taiji is not dealing with impact as much as the other 3 styles in the way of punches or palm strikes but there are hits and no one seems to train them much these days. It seems that no one wants to learn it as an MA anymore.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Now to get back on topic

Where does Gao Style Xingyiquan come from?

I am familiar with Gao Baguazhang and I believe it has a Xingyiquan form in it but I don't know about a separate Xingyiquan style with the name Gao.

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now to get back on topic

Where does Gao Style Xingyiquan come from?

I am familiar with Gao Baguazhang and I believe it has a Xingyiquan form in it but I don't know about a separate Xingyiquan style with the name Gao.

Hung family from Taiwan is about all I know. Honestly I haven't looked into that part yet. Al's teacher is/was Allen Pittman.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hung family from Taiwan is about all I know. Honestly I haven't looked into that part yet. Al's teacher is/was Allen Pittman.

Then it appears that it might come from Chen Panling

Hung I Mien had a brother Hong Yixiang that was a Xingyiquan guy but Hung I Mein was a Bagua guy.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A ton of freaking fun was had yesterday doing Gao Xingyi. My forearms are nice & sore & even a little bruised from the app drilling we did. It's been a long time since anybody's made enough contact on my forearms to bruise them. Whatta blast!!!!!!

If you're not doing xingyi & want to do a no BS get to it kinda thing, stop, slap yourself & go find a good solid xingyi teacher. Then get the bang on...
Bam!

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then it appears that it might come from Chen Panling

Hung I Mien had a brother Hong Yixiang that was a Xingyiquan guy but Hung I Mein was a Bagua guy.

It's Hung I Mien's brother... that much I know & CPL is in there somewhere because Allen Pittman also teaches Gao Bagua & I've heard CPL tossed around in their group.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It's Hung I Mien's brother... that much I know & CPL is in there somewhere because Allen Pittman also teaches Gao Bagua & I've heard CPL tossed around in their group.

Dai Wenxiong (Dai Xinyiquan) > Li Luoneng > Guo Yunshen > Li Cunyi > Zhang Junfeng > Hong Yixiang

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Was Gao Xingyiquan taught along with Gao Baguazhang? Gao Yisheng studied Xingyiquan?

Allen Pittman I have heard some excellent things regarding his teaching looking at his books
they are well written no nonsense approach.

Clfsean I can understand why and how you got the "good pain" Allen's style seems to be very martial no bullshi* approach.

Glad you enjoyed the training.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just have to duck in and say I`m jealous of you all. There`s nothing here in town but Judo. It`s not bad, but I miss getting hit. (In a way that only a MA can understand.)

OP
clfsean

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dai Wenxiong (Dai Xinyiquan) > Li Luoneng > Guo Yunshen > Li Cunyi > Zhang Junfeng > Hong Yixiang

I reckon... I haven't inflated my water wings yet to go venturing. Plus there's the problem with the language & all... :whip1: