Wu Shu versus traditional: 4 Phases

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I agree with what Xue Sheng said about Wushu and Gongfu being interchangeable terms. Most people lump everything together into 中国 功夫 (Zhongguo Gongfu), though.

About the 花拳 (Huaquan)... Isn't that also a style (Probably not a very musculine style)? Or am I horribly mistaken here?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
About the 花拳 (Huaquan)... Isn't that also a style (Probably not a very musculine style)? Or am I horribly mistaken here?

I think you are right. I have a feeling it is more of like a set of styles because I have heard of a number of "flower fist" styles, like mei huaquan, "plum flower fist".

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, if I remember correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong, although the Chinese governement uses the terminology to mean sports not fighting arts to many of the Chinese on mainland Wushu and Kung Fu are interchangable and the real term you have to look out for (and I apologize the Mandarin word escapes me for the moment) is "Flower Fist" that you have to watch out for and you don't want to be called if you are a CMA person. Or at least that is what it is like in Beijing and Harbin

Moi Fah chuan is plum flower fist?

Latest Discussions