Does Kung-Fu have a poor public image?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally I hate the image that some people have of my Art. I think the media has done a pretty good job of assisting that image.

The Kung-Fu I know and love is a practical, down to earth, *** kicking fighting system. Not an acrobatic, fly through the air, while defending yourself against 25 armed attackers joke of a circus stunt.

I feel that the general concensus of non martial artists (and some martial artists) is that it is not a serious fighting art. Maybe some of the movies produced are part of the reason? Maybe I'm being sensitive? Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyways, rant over.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Why blame the movies when wushu is being promoted they way it is, all acrobatic long-fist moves by folks who can't apply any of it.

oxy

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why blame the movies when wushu is being promoted they way it is, all acrobatic long-fist moves by folks who can't apply any of it.

Because movies have a much wider audience; an audience which on average have a lower level of understanding than the demographic of informed martial artists which includes people such as yourself.

You should also read that other thread about wushu. It is modern wushu you are talking about, not wushu as it really stands.

Either way, modern wushu was not the cause of this either. A much older example is Chinese opera which was invented during the time of Mongol rule. They also contain sequences of acrobatised movements. Of course, they didn't have multimillion dollar budgets with national screenings, so their affect is not as noticeable nowadays.

To generalise, it is the attempt to appeal to the lowest common denominator that continues to produce these unrealistic public images.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Personally I hate the image that some people have of my Art. I think the media has done a pretty good job of assisting that image.

The Kung-Fu I know and love is a practical, down to earth, *** kicking fighting system. Not an acrobatic, fly through the air, while defending yourself against 25 armed attackers joke of a circus stunt.

I feel that the general concensus of non martial artists (and some martial artists) is that it is not a serious fighting art. Maybe some of the movies produced are part of the reason? Maybe I'm being sensitive? Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyways, rant over.

You're not wrong but since you can really do nothing about it, why let it get to you?

I let it get to me before and all it did was have a serious negative impact on my training.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're not wrong but since you can really do nothing about it, why let it get to you?

I let it get to me before and all it did was have a serious negative impact on my training.

Can't help but agree with XS on this one.

Do what you do and don't worry what others think, I guess.

One of the unfortunate side-effects of wuxia-style movies and their slightly less fantastic relatives is that they encourage a certain type of person to take gongfu because they actually think they will learn to do some of these fantastic things. Martial arts attracts wankers, can't be helped, but some of these people need to come down from the clouds and catch a breath.

Just so you know, I actually love gongfu movies generally, and wuxia in particular. But they do have a strange effect on the perception of the art.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I feel that the general consensus of non martial artists (and some martial artists) is that it is not a serious fighting art. Maybe some of the movies produced are part of the reason? Maybe I'm being sensitive? Maybe I'm wrong?

Anyways, rant over.
Heh, if you think YOUR art has a bad image look at Ninjutsu! Those poor guys are still trying to get rid of the stereotyped all black, masked, super-human abilities hollywoodized version of their art. Example... the recent Myth-Busters episode on Ninjas. Fortunately they had a (real) Ninjutsu instructor clear up some of those myths and unfortunately not enough time was spent on the real art itself.

I adore the recent Kung-fu movies that have come out... Fearless, Crouching Tiger, Hero et al. because they show us the legends, the mythology of ancient China. I know that standing/fighting on the very tops of bamboo trees and fighting off a zillion arrows is impossible... but I didn't care about that... it was beauty and poetry in motion. It also involved using a martial art that I love.
Ignore the people who don't know how to tell the difference between mythology and reality. And ignore those who can't appreciate the differences.
You know what's the truth about your chosen art. Stay with it and to blazes with anyone who thinks it's not a serious fighting art.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We SD-oriented TKDs can make the same sort of complaint: all people ever see or hear about for the most part is the combat-ridiculous WTF style, with a couple of people in a ring dragging their knuckles on the mat or holding their hands limply at their sides whilst attempting to knock each other out with various parts of their feet hoisted a couple of meters above the ground...

If you worry about what other people think of your art, all you'll get is a headache and fall into a never-ending bad mood. Life is too short for that.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heh, if you think YOUR art has a bad image look at Ninjutsu! Those poor guys are still trying to get rid of the stereotyped all black, masked, super-human abilities hollywoodized version of their art. Example... the recent Myth-Busters episode on Ninjas. Fortunately they had a (real) Ninjutsu instructor clear up some of those myths and unfortunately not enough time was spent on the real art itself.
Yeah, as bad as it seems for CMA, the Ninjutsu guys have it worse. They may never get past that whacked-out image hollywood spewed out in the '80s and '90s.

As beautiful as the new films coming out of China are, and as clearly impossible so much of it is, they still blur the line between the real and the unreal.

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
First of all, "kungfu" is not one art and even non-MAists know that much. Second of all, what is the point of stating the obvious? Most MA practitioners are LARPing. If you just complain here you are no different than them so get back to the training hall and prove everybody wrong. ;)

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
how about just proving its value out on the mat. a friendly get together with martial artists of various styles to share, spar, and learn is usually a good experience for all involved.

if they are right, you will have learned something. if they are wrong, it will be understood. talk is cheap, feeling is believing.

pete

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
First of all, "kungfu" is not one art and even non-MAists know that much. Second of all, what is the point of stating the obvious? Most MA practitioners are LARPing. If you just complain here you are no different than them so get back to the training hall and prove everybody wrong. ;)

I disagree with your first point. Most non-MAs actually DO think the Kung Fu is one art, just like they think Karate is one art. Most folks don't really know there are many arts encompassed by the generic terms Karate and Kung Fu.

I do argree (for the most part) with your second point. Honestly, I wouldn't let it get to me. You know what you train is useful so why let anyone else's opinion cloud that? Keep training and let people think what they want to think. Better yet, drag some of their a$$es down to a class and THEN ask them what they think if KF...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Movie images, Hollywood agrandizement, even modern Wushu, etc. have all played a part in the general publics idea of what Chinese Martial Arts are. It has been going on a long time and in the west it took off with Kung Fu the series starring David Carridine. (plus other things) The reality is that the Chinese Martial Arts image has been stereotyped to fit with some of the above by your average person. All we can do is try and educate them and when possible show them what true Chinese Martial Arts are.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Movie images, Hollywood agrandizement, even modern Wushu, etc. have all played a part in the general publics idea of what Chinese Martial Arts are. It has been going on a long time and in the west it took off with Kung Fu the series starring David Carridine. (plus other things) The reality is that the Chinese Martial Arts image has been stereotyped to fit with some of the above by your average person. All we can do is try and educate them and when possible show them what true Chinese Martial Arts are.

Well said. :asian:

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Ha! Yeah, at least the average punter doesn't associate us with turtles...
icon10.gif

My best mate is always on at me about how boring ba gua looks - "it's too slow" and "not exciting enough - why so much walking in a circle? How does that help you defend yrself?" being the main complaints. But then she does come and sit through my gradings and performances, so it's a fair cop. I'm very aware that this would be the perception of most of the great unwashed. Do i care? Not particulaly.
Have to say i'm a big fan of kungfu movies too... especially the ones that subvert the genre - i guess i'm thinking Shaolin Soccer in particular!
icon7.gif

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ba Gua slow? huh?

as i said earlier, get your detractors on the mat, if its bagua... tie 'em up in knots!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only change I'd make is to substitute "all martial arts" for "Chinese Martial Arts" 'cause there are plenty of silly ideas out there about all the martial arts fueled by 2 second sound bite news "stories", entertainment silliness, and the idiots who feed it with inane demonstrations that are better described as poor magic acts!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exellent words from many in this one :tup:.

I like the conciseness of Brian's post which I think encapsulates the problem and (probably doomed :)) solution very well.

That said, I have to red-facedly admit that the groundwork of my taking up Lau Gar all those years ago was laid by "Kung Fu". I loved the 'Shane-like', self-controlled, nobility of Kane when I watched the series as a kid ... plus the effortless way he dealt with the (usually bigotted) 'bad guys' when they left him no choice ... :D.

"Enter the Dragon" also, I think, brought a great many people into the arts that otherwise would've not made the effort. Even the much reviled "Last Samurai" did the same job with the sword arts (and it's not reviled by me by the way, it's one of my top ten favourite films I've ever seen).

Nontheless, Hollywood can do a lot of damage it's true - before some of you chaps here started to re-educate me, I had a terrible disdain for "N1ngerz!" solely because of the drivel the media had pumped out ... well that influence plus my aquaintence with some fellows (whose attitudes I held in low regard) who did what they said was 'Ninjitsu', thus completing the tar-and-feathering of the art in my eyes :eek:.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score

Nicely put!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exellent words from many in this one :tup:.

I like the conciseness of Brian's post which I think encapsulates the problem and (probably doomed :)) solution very well.

That said, I have to red-facedly admit that the groundwork of my taking up Lau Gar all those years ago was laid by "Kung Fu". I loved the 'Shane-like', self-controlled, nobility of Kane when I watched the series as a kid ... plus the effortless way he dealt with the (usually bigotted) 'bad guys' when they left him no choice ... :D.

"Enter the Dragon" also, I think, brought a great many people into the arts that otherwise would've not made the effort. Even the much reviled "Last Samurai" did the same job with the sword arts (and it's not reviled by me by the way, it's one of my top ten favourite films I've ever seen).

Nontheless, Hollywood can do a lot of damage it's true - before some of you chaps here started to re-educate me, I had a terrible disdain for "N1ngerz!" solely because of the drivel the media had pumped out ... well that influence plus my aquaintence with some fellows (whose attitudes I held in low regard) who did what they said was 'Ninjitsu', thus completing the tar-and-feathering of the art in my eyes :eek:.

I don't think you need to be even slightly ashamed of what inspired you to take up MAs. I pretty much have the same inspirations as you. The difference, I think, with you and me is that we did not go into the training hall expecting to be taught to walk on water or punch holes in walls. I think some do these days. Reality and fiction are quite indistinct in some peoples' minds.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-I agree with what others have said. Educate. Lead by example. Show people how your style, whatever it is, has helped improve the quality of your life. Explain to them, should they ask, especially when a movie is involved. It is unfortunate that so many believe whats on the silver screen to be reality or something very close to it, when we all know better, especially when it comes to martial arts. Just have to educate.

A--->

Latest Discussions