Jet Li on Wushu

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
wushu, past and present

Wushu works by different rules than it used to. In the 1970's and early 1980's, competitive wushu really existed only in China, and so forms were judged by one set of rules -- one set of standards

the definition of wushu - part 1

Wushu, translated literally, means martial arts. (Wu = "martial, Shu = "art form"). When it was first developed, its primary purpose was (and will always be) for survival. Hunting animals, procuring food, fighting against aggressive wildlife, surviving harsh weather conditions, and so forth prompted the birth of this mode of behavior. Alone, wu is just fighting, military-based attack. Combined with Shu it transcends one level and becomes an intricate, purposeful skill.

Another tidbit I find interesting. Nowadays, one associates the word, "Kung-fu" with punches, kicks, martial arts champions, fighting. But the original meaning of "kung-fu" was never intended to describe martial arts in any way. Kung-fu originally referred to the time and energy spent in learning something. A successful chef expends lots of "kung-fu" to cook the tastiest dishes. A doctor undergoes considerable "kung-fu" to be able to take care of sick people. A martial artist uses lots of "kung-fu" in practicing his physical forms so he may display them to audiences one day. The term "kung-fu" was first broached to Western audiences by Bruce Lee when he stepped into the spotlight and used it to describe his martial arts. From there, a misconception arose and people began using "kung-fu" to refer to Bruce Lee, martial arts, punches, kicks, and the whole related system. So it is really a misnomer, a word whose meaning expanded to encompass other objects.

the definition of wushu - part 2

Many people, fans included, have approached me on how they should go about training in wushu to achieve one of these four objectives. Here, drawing upon my past experience, I will try to provide a very general framework within which the individual can pursue wushu training. It is important to remember, first and foremost, that these are very general guidelines only, and that individuals vary from one another in terms of body size, age, personality, and other vital respects

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I enjoy wushu...as in the competitive art. It takes a lot of physical skills and it is beautiful to watch. It isn't what I myself would chose to do, but we all train for different reason and different arts. I can appreciate anything that takes great skill to perform.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
and from that point onward it's been all downhill.

Modern Wushu vs. Traditional Wushu aside I find what he is saying in his first essay very interesting when he is comparing the old school competition wushu he did to what is going on today

I hear now that people mainly compete in three categories: Changquan, Nanquan, Taijiquan. The system today is not as complex as it used to be, when everybody had to compete in broadsword, spear, straight sword, cudgel, and empty-hand forms. Why, in our day, we had to learn all of the Eighteen-Arms*, internal styles, external styles, everything. That was our curriculum. Nowadays, if you want to go to the Olympics, you learn the compulsory forms, and that's it.

However, I believe that deep inside, wushu is much worse than before. I'm talking about the inside knowledge, the part of wushu that does not involve the physical body. Inner cultivation is the most important part, and it's definitely lacking nowadays

The most beautiful things in martial arts are not about sport, and they're not about speed. What wushu practitioners need to do is to concentrate more on the internal. They've got to take the time to bring their whole energy together with their mind to finish every movement. The speed nowadays is so fast and the jumps are so high...and yet, the details in between are not perfected at all.

There's no more personal "flavor" anymore. In the past, when we watched people practicing straight sword, you could be sure that ten high-level athletes would display ten different flavors. Even the simple act of "pointing" the sword -- everybody would do the movement with their own individual rhythms -- all technically correct and all distinct

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Modern Wushu vs. Traditional Wushu aside I find what he is saying in his first essay very interesting when he is comparing the old school competition wushu he did to what is going on today
Yes. 'Modern Wushu' back in the 70's with Hu JianQiang, Li LianJie, Zhao ChangJun etc. was VERY different than now. The competitors from that era are the real thing. Nowadays, the best of the best, are just good at 3-4 'routines' and a plethora of NanDu.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
".......The speed nowadays is so fast and the jumps are so high...and yet, the details in between are not perfected at all. "

ain't that the truth?????

Best wishes

Latest Discussions