WTF rule changes

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What I find amazing is the USAT has no clue it seems. Mandatory Liscense for competitors, how muchwill that cost now?

WTF Rule Changes/General Assembly

Friday, 08 October 2010 | by Ronda Sweet
You don't see it on the USAT site, but Hal-a-on-top-of-it and I have it posted.
The WTF has come up with some interesting rule changes - Mandatory Athlete Licenses, English is the official language, 4 points for a turning kick to the head,
Among the major changes to the WTF Rules and Regulations, which will take effect immediately, are the change of the name of the WTF Rules and Regulations into the WTF Statutes, the deletion of the Executive Committee, and the increase in the number of WTF Council members from 32 to 35.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
What a hoot! From "rules" to "statutes". I wonder if they'll become "commandments" next year.

Interesting to see the removal of the protest system, assuming the video replay system will meet the need. Is it that reliable?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Based on what this thread is about I don't feel so bad about what I think every time I see a post with "WTF" in the title... and it is not World Taekwondo Federation :D

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, you forgot to mention a couple of the other rules changes

The return of the point gap: In case of 12 points difference between athletes at the time of the completion of the second round, the referee shall stop the contest and shall declare the winner.

And when there is no EBP in use but just corner monkey's pushing buttons: In case of using four judges or three judges, valid points shall be those scored by at least two or more judges, under the new Competition Rules.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

The return of the point gap: In case of 12 points difference between athletes at the time of the completion of the second round, the referee shall stop the contest and shall declare the winner.

And when there is no EBP in use but just corner monkey's pushing buttons: In case of using four judges or three judges, valid points shall be those scored by at least two or more judges, under the new Competition Rules.

Yes but I left the link so everyone could just go and read them, sorry. So what is your take on this mandatory athletes liscense from the WTF?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes but I left the link so everyone could just go and read them, sorry. So what is your take on this mandatory athletes liscense from the WTF?

Think this is a WTF dig at KKW and they will be eliminating the KKW requirement?

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
What does that mean ATC
Just a me thinking of what they are upto. Mrs Rhonda (Opps sorry, Mrs Sweet I should say) states one possibility. This is better than day time TV. I am on the edge of my seat wating to see where it all leads to.

Last edited:

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So what is your take on this mandatory athletes liscense from the WTF?

I am frankly surprised that it took nearly 40 years for the light bulb to come on in their heads and realize that there is money to be made here.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The license thing looks like another way to extract even more money from members. It is also a way to control who competes in the USAT events and the Olympics. By temporarily suspending someones license just before Olympics tryouts for some trumped-up charge it is possible to make sure that they pose no threat to the politically correct winner of the competition.

The license is an easy way to control people, just threaten to suspend it and they will come round to your way of thinking.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what is your take on this mandatory athletes liscense from the WTF?
Hard to tell. They don't go into much detail, i.e. how much, duration (annual?) or even what advantages they forsee by implementing this. I think igillman offers a reasonable interpretation in their absense of one. $$$. In trying to keep an open mind, I would have to say they're way past due for coming up with some method of policing who comes in and out of tournaments, if that's their intent.
I also have a concern about the instant replay. Unless I'm misunderstanding what's presented, it's going to drag tournaments out into wee hours addressing each player that got "robbed". I'd like to hear more about this and what practical issues they forsee arising from this and how they intend to address them.

I'm not opposed to the 12 point "slaughter rule", at least in the younger age groups.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
They finally posted it on USAT site.
Wow, they did not link the entire article nor did they mention English being the official language replacing Korean. I really want to see if that one takes place or not.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It was first to 12 points or a 7 point gap which made fighting more exciting people could just fight harder and end it no more just bouncing around just trying to finish one point ahead!! . I was very disapointed when In Korea they said it was voted out??? so what is it now a 12 point gap ??? or 7 or ??????????

Also official rule was you had to have 4 corner judges they made everybody buy new equipment or upgrade the 3 judge to 4 judge?? controlers and upgrade the software?? Before with paper it was always odd 3 or 5 total counting center Ref.??

But in the event of a tie or score issue the center ref could declare a winner based on different issues??? has that changed???

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I cant see the USAT enforcing it except at events like the US. Open. otherwise local and national events have always been USATs "modified WTF" rules.... errrr.... statutes...

They always seem to change and adapt their (USTU<USAT) rules from the WTF's rules when its here in the U.S.

I can see some rules changing to keep up, but no way is lil jimmie my 7 years old yellow belt gonna fork over money to the WORLD TEAKWONDO FEDERATION for an athlete license AND pay for a USAT membership AND buy the gear AND pay the registration fees....

So we'll leave it to the rich kids to represent us... not the best TKD kid....

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just all to funny if was not so sad we really need to get everybody on Jerry Springer one day. I coulld not help it I am old enough to deserve a senior moment?

Some times I find this all sureal I burried a 13 year old boy last week who committed suicide or was murdered while the adults/parents drank in the next room and this week a 24 year old girl with a 3 year old baby that hung her self drinking with her boy freind that killed his father with a dump truck and only did only 2 1/2 years in jail? One of my nieces 19 hung herself in February along with two others 19 to 21 because her boyfriend killed her 7 month old baby shaking the baby to much and he was sent to prison but she killed herself thinking the troopers were comming for her too?

TKD has so much to offer these kids and our youth in life skills it is life and death for them some times i just can't relate to the rest of you over sport, and power and money forgive me

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is just all to funny if was not so sad we really need to get everybody on Jerry Springer one day. I coulld not help it I am old enough to deserve a senior moment?

Some times I find this all sureal I burried a 13 year old boy last week who committed suicide or was murdered while the adults/parents drank in the next room and this week a 24 year old girl with a 3 year old baby that hung her self drinking with her boy freind that killed his father with a dump truck and only did only 2 1/2 years in jail? One of my nieces 19 hung herself in February along with two others 19 to 21 because her boyfriend killed her 7 month old baby shaking the baby to much and he was sent to prison but she killed herself thinking the troopers were comming for her too?

TKD has so much to offer these kids and our youth in life skills it is life and death for them some times i just can't relate to the rest of you over sport, and power and money forgive me

Dan, my heart goes out to you. Sport, drama, and politics diminish in comparison to loss of life. To me taekwondo helps you grow and shape yourself into more than you were--it can be life changing. For some people sport serves as that forge.

When I teach kids at school and work with TKD students in the evening, I'm very conscious that I'm touching someone's life--and that I don't know what all else might be going on. I too have had students die. The structure and lessons you provide and the praise you give might shape whether one of your students survives--you may never know who or when.

Hopefully there are times when life is less heartwrenching and you can enjoy sport. As for drama and politics, I wouldn't miss 'em.

Carl