WTF Rule Changes

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Copied from another site I read:

If you haven't seen this already, I thought that I would share it with you. It clarifies some of the areas that we have been discussing on H.O. for quite some time.

Detailed Explanation of the Competition Rules & Interpretations
===============================================================
Detailed Explanation of the Competition Rules & Interpretations from the Technical Committee of the World Taekwondo Federation (as announced at the July 29-August 4 International Referee Selection Training Camp for the Beijing Games).
==============================================================
Article 11. Permitted Techniques and Areas
2. Permitted Areas
1) Trunk : Attack by fist and foot techniques to all areas covered by the trunk protector are permitted. However, such attacks shall not be made to the spine; the spine area is not considered a legitimate target and so, the portion of the trunk protector covering the spine is not a scoring area. From the Olympic Qualification Tournament in Manchester, England in September, the area covering the spine will white and the scoring area will be limited to the red or blue colored areas of the body protector.
2) Face : The area of the face excluding the back of the head, and attack by foot techniques only is permitted: As it is practically impossible to exclude contact to the back of the head, the entire area of the head and neck above the collar bones will be recognized as the scoring area.

Article 14. Prohibited Acts and Penalties

5. Prohibited acts (Kyong-go)
a. Crossing the boundary line: When both feet of a competitor cross the boundary line for whatever reason (except being pushed with the hand or shoulder of the opponent) a “kyong-go” must be given. A “kyong-go” must be given every time both feet of a competitor cross the boundary line and no “joo-eui” is to be given.

c. Falling down: In every instance of intentional falling, a “kyong-go” will be given without the use of “joo-eui.” Falling unavoidably during an exchange of technique is not to be punished.
d. Avoiding the match: The use of an inactivity clock will be implemented. After the declaration of “shi-jak” or “kye-seok,” the referee with give the competitors approximately 5 seconds to set themselves before giving a signal that will activate the inactivity clock. From that point, the competitors will have 10 seconds to initiate an attack or be issued a “kyong-go.” If there is equal inactivity on both sides, each competitor will be given a “kyong-go” but if one competitor is judged to be more passive than the other, that person shall receive the warning.

J. Uttering undesirable remarks or any misconduct on the part of a competitor or coach: Including in Article 14 or the Competition Rules and regulations are the following stipulations:
Objectives in establishing the prohibited acts and penalties;
(1) To protect the contestant
(2) To ensure fair contest management
(3) To encourage appropriate or ideal techniques

In line with these objectives, the act of intentionally lifting the knee to block the opponent’s attack or interfere with their technique is to be punished with “kyong-go” as an undesirable act.

=====================================================

The undersigned have met on the occasion of the WTF International Referee Training Camp for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games on July 29 ~ Aug. 4, 2007, in Korea and through healthy discussions; they have decided that the above detailed explanation of the Competition Rules & Interpretations would be clear and precise.

In agreement:

Mr. Soo-nam Park, vice president of the WTF in charge of technical matters
Mr. Eui-min Ko, chairman of the Technical Committee of the WTF
Mr. Rene Bundeli, chairman of the Games Committee of the WTF
Mr. Hong-ki Kim, chairman of the Referee Committee of the WTF
Mr. Kyung-myung Lee, chairman of the Education Committee of the WTF
Mr. Ik-ki Jeon, vice chairman of the Education Committee of the WTF
Mr. Steven Capener, special assistant to the Secretary General of the WTF

Aug. 14, 2007

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In line with these objectives, the act of intentionally lifting the knee to block the opponent’s attack or interfere with their technique is to be punished with “kyong-go” as an undesirable act

Interesting reading, thank you.

Does the above refer to the normal technique of chambering the leg, when done in such a manner as purely to impede an attack? I feel this may difficult to quantify.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe that this is intended to stop Steven Lopez as he is a master of the move. Chambering the leg and crossing the knee over the front of the body to shield yourself from an attacking opponent.

I really love the idea of the inactivity clock. It will really be a judgement call when it comes to deciding which player is being more passive than the other, but I think that this is a step in the right direction. So many fights at the recent World Championships were like 1-0 or 2-1 or even 0-0 etc and they need something to cause more action.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really love the idea of the inactivity clock. It will really be a judgement call when it comes to deciding which player is being more passive than the other, but I think that this is a step in the right direction. So many fights at the recent World Championships were like 1-0 or 2-1 or even 0-0 etc and they need something to cause more action.

Certainly room for controversy. I dont follow competition very closely, but I do think this would be a good idea.