WTF President : "New uniforms will further promote taekwondo"

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and check them out. In my opinion they look hillarious. I was telling some people about them at a tkd camp recently. One of the guys there downloaded pictures of the new uniforms on his phone and passed it around. People laughed so hard they were literally choking on their beer. Really funny stuff.

And it might be fair to bet that those folks choking on their beer, with laughter, have never, and are not likely to ever represent their country in anything of significance, leave alone taekwondo. It takes zero effort and imagination to laugh and sneer at things one knows very little about.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And it might be fair to bet that those folks choking on their beer, with laughter, have never, and are not likely to ever represent their country in anything of significance, leave alone taekwondo. It takes zero effort and imagination to laugh and sneer at things one knows very little about.

That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it. I just think the uniform is goofy looking, doesn't detract from anyone's accomplishments. I've already outlined why I prefer the V neck dobok and I have my reasons aside from it looking goofy, which IMO it does.

tigycho

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was asked whether this uniform was to become the required uniform for WTF poomsae competition, and I had assumed so, but I can't find anything online to support that.

In fact, outside of forum posts, and the J-Calicu site, I'm having trouble finding anything concrete other than the uniform is a Poomsae uniform.

I'm wondering if the new Calicu uniforms are required now? If not, do we know that they will be?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was asked whether this uniform was to become the required uniform for WTF poomsae competition, and I had assumed so, but I can't find anything online to support that.

In fact, outside of forum posts, and the J-Calicu site, I'm having trouble finding anything concrete other than the uniform is a Poomsae uniform.

I'm wondering if the new Calicu uniforms are required now? If not, do we know that they will be?

It was mentioned as required in this invitation package to the world poomsae championships.

http://www.wtf.org/bbs/bbs.php?bbs_...=505&page=6&search=&keyword=&symode=view#btop

click on the first pdf file and scroll down. But I believe this was only for the last wtf poomsae championships only. You might wish to check the WTF poomsae competition rules for what is required. I do not believe those uniforms are required for USAT poomsae competition.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Anymore news on this? Are these available yet?

As for what it looks like, there was a picture of the actual dobok in the link. To those who say that it looks 'goofy', I disagree. They look quite attractive in my opinion.

$2011-06-20_2680x_new-uniform-Poomsae_REAL-e1308552851207.jpg

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's not bad looking I guess but it's not Taekwondo to me. I got rid of my crossover dobok when I switched to KKW.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm actually fine with the crossover dobak, and even the 'simulated' crossover on these.
I'm not a fan of the bathrobe though, nor of the gender- and rank-specific colors. We already have a perfectly good, functional, and widely understood method of indicating rank. And gender confusion isn't really an issue at a competitive TKD event, is it?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
they are probably available in korea. do you want one?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
doesnt matter to me as it doesnt effect me, but think all the ones in the picture look fine.

but you shouldnt take my word for it, i am not known for my karate fashion sense. I think tucking your top into your pants looks good.......

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
doesnt matter to me as it doesnt effect me, but think all the ones in the picture look fine.
I like the fact that they actually look like a hanbok and don't look like they'd lend themselves well the 'so-many-patches-you-could-be-in-Nascar' look.

I think tucking your top into your pants looks good.......
Hankido doboks have the wide, flowing pants and they tuck the top in as well. And yes, it does look good.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the fact that they actually look like a hanbok and don't look like they'd lend themselves well the 'so-many-patches-you-could-be-in-Nascar' look.

Hankido doboks have the wide, flowing pants and they tuck the top in as well. And yes, it does look good.

I am guilty of the tarted up doboks. I can't help it, I like it...

Right now I've only got our federation crest on my left chest, but the dobok I bought has the three Adidas stripes down the leg, three stripes on the shoulders, "Adidas" down the left arm and about fourteen adidas logos wherever they could stick it. I almost bought a Kwon uniform too but I preferred the Adidas. My old dobok has the same crest and "Woo Young's Taekwondo" down one arm and sleeve.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

but you shouldnt take my word for it, i am not known for my karate fashion sense. I think tucking your top into your pants looks good.......

One of the local instructors does that, with a KKW style pullover dobok, and it mystifies me. I think it's weird looking. He's probably one of the best all around Taekwondoin I know though so his fashion sense can go unquestioned...

Latest Discussions