Evolution in taekwondo

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So get ready for some real change! Coming to a Dojang near you…..A new taekwondo rank structure, now with meaning and new colors, plus new uniforms! EXTRA - The black belt is now blue (midnight blue, like TSD)

Actually we will introduce these new uniforms next month at the World Poomsae Championships in Vladivostok Russia! Cannot wait to wear mine.

http://www.jcalicu.com/JCALICUS_POOMSAE_files/%202011poomsae.pdf

Have fun!

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember seeing pictures of guys working out in their underwear before the development of the gi. For me a kick is still a kick, and a stance the same, but the drama this creates should be entertaining...something to talk about at least. As a sparring athlete you know that both my short coat and outer jacket will be down to my knees to hide my leg movement! Thanks for sharing this.

Carl

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So get ready for some real change! Coming to a Dojang near you…..A new taekwondo rank structure, now with meaning and new colors, plus new uniforms! EXTRA - The black belt is now blue (midnight blue, like TSD)

Actually we will introduce these new uniforms next month at the World Poomsae Championships in Vladivostok Russia! Cannot wait to wear mine.

http://www.jcalicu.com/JCALICUS_POOMSAE_files/%202011poomsae.pdf

Have fun!

Very interesting. Was there Kukkiwon input, collaboration and cooperation on the design, or was this an entirely WTF project? Will the new uniforms be mandatory at all international WTF events? Will the same uniforms be used in Kyorugi? Is the overcoat a ceremonial part of the uniform?

On a side note it's also interesting that the WTF classifies GM as 7th Dan up, which I thought it should be until I saw some postings on MT which say the Kukkiwon considers GM grade begins at 6th Dan and up.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah this was posted to my facebook account a few weeks back. It really means nothing unless they are going to mandate this for events. A couple of the uni's look pretty cool.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm. Very interesting. Will kukkiwon support this? Is this new for all of us or just international players? Is this just for poomsae?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this set in stone and if so will this be mandatory at all events?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting in that document they refer to 1st-3rd Dan as Master, 4th-6th Dan as Instructor Master and 7th-9th Dan as Grandmaster. Also interesting is that they translate Master as Sabeom (I though Sabeom was technically the term for a KKW certified Master Instructor, although everyone uses it just for an instructor).

That aside - I hate the new Kup colours (probably because I'm used to the old ones), but I like the overcoat, I think that looks really cool and I've never been a fan of wraparound uniforms.

I'm also interested in the Kukkiwon's thoughts as I'm more of a Kukki-Taekwondoin than a WTF Taekwondo Player (poomsae or kyorugi)...

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right now, they are calling it a Poomsae Uniform. They told us about this a couple of years ago but they are making us wear them this year.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From someone obviously not in the federation:

New uniforms, new belts and ranking = more money spent by the practitioner
Are there to be new requirements also for the new ranks?

ATACX GYM

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah this was posted to my facebook account a few weeks back. It really means nothing unless they are going to mandate this for events. A couple of the uni's look pretty cool.

Pretty much my thoughts too.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right now, they are calling it a Poomsae Uniform. They told us about this a couple of years ago but they are making us wear them this year.

But why change gup holder's belt colours and dobok if WTF Poomsae Competitions require dan grades to participate?

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When the new Taekwondo Park is opened all will be known! This is NOT just for competition folks.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So does this mean every KKW TKD BB will have to wear a midnight blue belt? I already had a blue belt. I don't want another one. In fact I'm pretty much gonna go ahead and say I am not wearing a blue belt instead of my black belt. I don't do TSD, KKW TKD is supposed to use the black belt, and they're trying to have us become something we're not. I'm also not wearing a housecoat over my dobok.

I see this as an attempt to regain face. They're compromising what Kukki TaeKwonDo is.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
New uniforms, new belts and ranking = more money spent by the practitioner Are there to be new requirements also for the new ranks?

If I were at USAT, I would keep it the way it is now, white dobok, with the possible exception at Poomsae Team Trials. Competition is already expensive enough as it is.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I were at USAT, I would keep it the way it is now, white dobok, with the possible exception at Poomsae Team Trials. Competition is already expensive enough as it is.

Plus those dobok's look really stupid. I would not want to wear that.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is the point of isolating the women from the men?

Considering TKD is known for having lapel trim to match the belts and so forth, having the women in an outfit that is less-uniform in color than the men looks odd to my eyes.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting in that document they refer to 1st-3rd Dan as Master, 4th-6th Dan as Instructor Master and 7th-9th Dan as Grandmaster. Also interesting is that they translate Master as Sabeom (I though Sabeom was technically the term for a KKW certified Master Instructor, although everyone uses it just for an instructor).

So everyone is on the same page, these are the new titles:

1-3 Dan: Sabum (Master)
4-6 Dan: Jido Sabum (Instructor Master)
7-9 Dan: Dae Sabum (Grandmaster).

That aside - I hate the new Kup colours (probably because I'm used to the old ones), but I like the overcoat, I think that looks really cool and I've never been a fan of wraparound uniforms.

The guep color belt system is different from what seems to be the standard in US dojang, which is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red, black (or some derivative of that).

The overcoat looks like a Kuk Sool or Hwa Rang Do uniform.

I'm also interested in the Kukkiwon's thoughts as I'm more of a Kukki-Taekwondoin than a WTF Taekwondo Player (poomsae or kyorugi)...

I can say that the new uniform colors contradicts some of the stuff taught at the Kukkiwon Instructor Course, at least the one I attend, wherein they told us that colored uniforms, patches, etc. were for children to keep them motivated, but that instructors and leaders don't need such outward displays and that we should all wear plain white dobok and no stripe or indications of rank on our belts.

But it seems like WTF, in partnership with TPF, are calling the shots at the moment. The Kukkiwon, under President Kang, seems to follow WTF's lead, so I would predict that the Kukkiwon would go along with these WTF ideas and adjust the Kukkiwon Instructor Course and probably the Textbook accordingly in the near future.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When the new Taekwondo Park is opened all will be known! This is NOT just for competition folks.

There you go. TPF.

I can't see requiring the overcoat for kyorugi competitors or for regular dojang students either. That doesn't make sense. But if what you say is true, no more v necks, I better stock up now. so that I have a 40 year supply....

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am convinced someone has decided they want to completely piss me off and that's the only motivation behind this. This is stupid.

*Deep breath*

This probably won't even affect my school. If it does, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. But I'm not wearing a house coat or a blue belt. Why again do we need to look like TSD?

Latest Discussions