WTF President : "New uniforms will further promote taekwondo"

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is the dobok in question, is it not? If so, I like it. I think that it is a good change.

I don't particularly like it but if we are moving towards having individualized dobok, then I would simply allow competitors to wear whatever they wanted, within reason. For example, gymnastics and figure skating don't have strict rules on what color your performance costume should be, I don't think.

Regarding earlier comments about the curriculum needing to be addressed instead of the dobok, personally, I find nothing wrong with the curriculum as it is. If there are things that specific kwanjangs feel should be there, then there is nothing stopping you from working those things into your own curriculum. Personally, I think that hard and solid training in the existing curriculum is plenty.

I agree.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you seen one of these doboks? I mean not just the drawing or a picture? Sometimes things look better in person so to speak.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find people do this in general with everything. Even catch myself : )

I catch myself doing it more the older I get. I wonder if it is me or if it is because the current leadership has a completely different viewpoint from the pioneers. I think it is a combination of both.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you seen one of these doboks? I mean not just the drawing or a picture? Sometimes things look better in person so to speak.

No I haven't really seen it in person. I don't particularly care for the cross over aspect for taekwondo dobok as well as the colors. For taekwondo, I prefer a plain white v neck dobok with a black collar but no patches. For hapkido, I prefer a plain white single weave judo gi with no patches, even though I have other hapkido dobok as well. But if other people wish to wear that new competition dobok for daily dojang training, I wouldn't have any objection to it. Just my personal preference.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't particularly like it but if we are moving towards having individualized dobok, then I would simply allow competitors to wear whatever they wanted, within reason. For example, gymnastics and figure skating don't have strict rules on what color your performance costume should be, I don't think.
This is very prevalent in sport martial art tournaments. You see all different type of martial art uniform. The main rule is that it be some sort of martial art uniform. They don't care if it is cross over v-neck, sleeveless (for forms and weapons), etc.

As for the new dobok, I like them. I saw some pictures of them on people and they looked ok. My only concern is how they feel when you are performing in them.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I catch myself doing it more the older I get. I wonder if it is me or if it is because the current leadership has a completely different viewpoint from the pioneers. I think it is a combination of both.

In what way do you see their viewpoint as being different and do you see this new dobok as part of that?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
In what way do you see their viewpoint as being different and do you see this new dobok as part of that?

To me, the pioneers worked hard and more importantly worked together to create standardized things in taekwondo. Logos for example. Never did I ever think that the logos of the KTA, WTF and Kukkiwon would change, because there was hidden meaning behind the symbols which worked well together. Now all three organizations changed their logo, and with it, the hidden historical meanings have been lost. Dobok same thing. The v neck uniform is a trademark and symbol of taekwondo, which is both functional and stylish. Going to cross over with colors defeats that. The pioneers settled the uniform, logo, certificate, poomsae, sparring and other issues already, so why change what ain't broke? But, I am not in charge of these things, so I just go along with it, until such time as when I can make a difference, somewhere, somehow.

A better example would be the bylaw changes that were implemented at USAT after 2004. The USTU bylaws up to that point represented 30 years of collective wisdom of the USTU leadership. The bylaws were modified over the years to make the system better. Then in 2004 it was changed to a completely different system, which I and others predicted would lead the USAT to ruin. Eight years later, the USAT is in ruins, on probation from the USOC and on the brink of bankruptcy due to a lack of financial and managerial capability. Now we have to figure out how to fix things, which ultimately means bringing back what our USTU pioneers created for us.

Stuff like that.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I'm for progress, so I guess it's a good thing for competition Poomsae. I'm bracing my self for a lot of "progress", coming soon. Careful what I have wished for all this time :)

The more I see them, the more I'm OK with it. I have not seen it in person yet, but I have seen a lot of photos of them at the World Poomsae Championships. The company told me that they will be available very soon, so I will get one and check it out.

Keep in mind this has nothing to do with curriculum etc, or the Kukkiwon. This is something from the WTF.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
then you are not trying very hard or you are overly optimistic

remember who we are talking about here, every single thing the KKW does they do to make money.

sad truth

Really? How about the World Taekwondo Hanmadang? The entry fee is zero and 4-5000 competitors regularly show up.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Really? How about the World Taekwondo Hanmadang? The entry fee is zero and 4-5000 competitors regularly show up.

I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see both ITF and KKW practitioners compete at a Hanmadang.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know it'll never happen, but I'd like to see both ITF and KKW practitioners compete at a Hanmadang.

It used to be that the USTU Junior Olympic Championships were the largest taekwondo tournament in the world. Now I think it is the World Hanmadang. I heard the ATA World Championships were large too, but never heard any numbers.

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The ATA World Championships typically hosts > 4000 competitors.

It used to be that the USTU Junior Olympic Championships were the largest taekwondo tournament in the world. Now I think it is the World Hanmadang. I heard the ATA World Championships were large too, but never heard any numbers.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For the record I hate these things still...my instructor likes them...guess who wins...lol. Such is life, he's much more interested in poomsae than I am anyway