WTF clubs that credits General Choi as founder and/or developer of TaeKwonDo

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wait A second, " you just wrote that TKD has a reverse knife hand strike... That is exactly the same trajectory path as ridge hand... Only difference being fingers slightly bent and thumb not tucked in???
So the motion is Not always different for a knife hand
It's the other side of the hand with different targets and multiple different possible paths, some of which are physically impossible with knife hand e.g. groin strike forwards.

Palm heel strike uses a flat hand, are you going to call that alternative knife hand too? What about a slap?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's the other side of the hand with different targets and multiple different possible paths, some of which are physically impossible with knife hand e.g. groin strike forwards.

Palm heel strike uses a flat hand, are you going to call that alternative knife hand too? What about a slap?

The dude below hits with the same point of impact as in the black and White clip we discussed, using the same motion. How is the striking surface different??

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The dude below hits with the same point of impact as in the black and White clip we discussed, using the same motion. How is the striking surface different??

It is the other side of the hand you muppet.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is the other side of the hand you muppet.

Thats my point. And you still label it knife hand so the part of the hand is irrelevant to whether its a knife hand

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thats my point. And you still label it knife hand so the part of the hand is irrelevant to whether its a knife hand
It is a poor translation. The names mean 'knife hand' and 'knife hand back side'. The technique for using those respective surfaces is different, their targets are different, and their paths are different. The name is incidental as the true name is Korean and cannot be directly and accurately translated. They are similar in hand form, but not in other ways. The finger positioning is important for each, but there's no reason for a 9th dan to teach you this as sonnal deung does not appear in the colour belt form syllabus. So, he's right, all knife hand techniques in your form syllabus so far are bent fingers. Accept it and move on. You'll learn this technique soon.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you don't think the instep compared to ball of the foot is equally an entirely different part of the foot as the different striking surface between a ridge hand and knifehand?
Apples and oranges. A knife hand and reverse knife hand strike travel in opposite directions and have entirely different body mechanics whereas the turning kick with the instep and ball of the foot travel in the same direction and have virtually the same body mechanics..

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

maxresdefault.jpg

Hey look, he's doing a knifehand!
Since the contact point and actual striking technique are irrelevant, according to you...

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can strike soft parts of the body such as the kneck with an "incorrect" knife hand strike configuration - fingers straight.. and they won't break. Or I can throw a ridge strike where fingers are meant to be straight. It doesn't matter which way the motion goes or which side of the hand I strike with. Fingers won't break either way.

Last edited:
OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nor is a vertical vs horizontal turning kick with different parts of the foot as point of impacts. We call them both turning kick, or in "american terms" roundhouse kicks.
Roundhouse kicks all use the same striking surface - at least all the roundhouse kicks I know. A spinning back kick is as unrelated as that ridge-hand.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you don't think the instep compared to ball of the foot is equally an entirely different part of the foot as the different striking surface between a ridge hand and knifehand?

Really?
Yes, it is equally different. And the toe position for one is as equally unrelated as the finger position in question.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roundhouse kicks all use the same striking surface - at least all the roundhouse kicks I know. A spinning back kick is as unrelated as that ridge-hand.

Roundhouse kicks can hit with the shin, the instep, the ball of the foot, or the point of the toe*, depending on the art and the specific variation. The change in striking surface can require some adjustments to the body dynamics, but it's still a roundhouse kick.

*(There's at least one karate style which conditions the feet so that you can do this barefoot, but I have no desire to try that. I only use the point of the toe when kicking with shoes, Savate style.)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. We teach the roundhouse striking with the instep, the shin, or the ball of the foot. We consider the instep as primarily a sparring kick, when your goal isn't to break anything. The shin and ball of the foot versions are for breaking, whether that means boards or ribs.

Now, the body mechanics for the kick are the same regardless of which surface strikes, unlike the knifehand vs ridgehand vs spearhand nonsense.

And of course, the various hook kicks are completely different to a roundhouse kick.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really. We teach the roundhouse striking with the instep, the shin, or the ball of the foot. We consider the instep as primarily a sparring kick, when your goal isn't to break anything. The shin and ball of the foot versions are for breaking, whether that means boards or ribs.

Now, the body mechanics for the kick are the same regardless of which surface strikes, unlike the knifehand vs ridgehand vs spearhand nonsense.

And of course, the various hook kicks are completely different to a roundhouse kick.

In Your school. In others they teach for the instep technique to chamber as a front kick before pivoting, unlike for the ball of the foot variation in which the chambering is semicircular.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys did not concider reverse knife hand strike to be a knife hand technique.. Well guess what, I do and have always done, and completely agree with the English translation.

I blanked on the proper term and kept labelling it alternative knife hand for some bizarre reason.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In Your school. In others they teach for the instep technique to chamber as a front kick before pivoting, unlike for the ball of the foot variation in which the chambering is semicircular.

Not necessarily. There are ball of the foot variants with the front kick chamber. But still, these kicks have largely similar dynamics and directions, which the knife hand and ridge hand do not.

The slightly different striking angle when using ridge hand means the fingers do not need to be bent as they are already slightly offset from the angle of the strike. This is not the case with knife hand.

This might not be an issue with a soft target, but with hard targets for which these techniques are also suited, such as the temple, the finger positioning becomes important in reducing the risk of injury to the striker.

OP
Axiom

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily. There are ball of the foot variants with the front kick chamber.

Even so, there is a semi circular chambering for the ball of the foot in the Kukkiwon textbook.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even so, there is a semi circular chambering for the ball of the foot in the Kukkiwon textbook.
There's also linear chambering for ball of the foot. See dollyo chagi in Taegeuk Yuk Jang for example.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roundhouse kicks can hit with the shin, the instep, the ball of the foot, or the point of the toe*, depending on the art and the specific variation. The change in striking surface can require some adjustments to the body dynamics, but it's still a roundhouse kick.

*(There's at least one karate style which conditions the feet so that you can do this barefoot, but I have no desire to try that. I only use the point of the toe when kicking with shoes, Savate style.)
Okay, instep/shin is a fairly minor variation to me. The ball of the foot we have a different name for (rib kick), so I wasn't counting that one. And toe of the foot I'd not seen - that's a new one for me. Seems there's some difference in terminology from what I'm used to.