Would you give your boss your facebook password?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich, most posts are already visible. All I have private is realname, reallocation, email and IP addresses.
I can't give them the passwords as they are encrypted.
They'd have to go around me to get those.

Subforums that are not public? Premium Forum, etcetera

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I would not give it to them. However, I will admit, that many people I see on FB, clearly dont use their head, with some of the things they post. Hey, its your FB acct. so post/say what you wish. However, understand that your actions, may come back to haunt you. As an example, here are some of the things that I've seen:

Sexually explicit pics, pics of drug use, mention of drug use, mention of violence, people posting every step that they make thru-out the course of the day, people posting personal information.

yes, carelessness, some do come home to empty houses, or worse, because they have carelessly announced to their 1000 closest friends where they live, what they have and how long they are out of town on vacation. I suppose that is the disconnect that, while sitting in your living room, you are open to the world....

I could probably go on, but you get the idea. :) Personally, I caved into the pressure and started a FB acct. that I've had for a while. I rarely post, though I do comment at times, on other peoples posts, I don't have any personal info, no pics...yeah, its a pretty boring acct...lol...but thats my choice, and I have my reasons for doing what I do.
Pretty much the same here. My FB accounts are after long dormancy put to work for, well, work on the to organizations I am involved with. No personal pictures. There are only a few of me in existence anyhow,a nd most of them are too ugly to share. ;)

I suppose if it was a matter of me getting fired from the job I have, yeah, I guess I'd have no choice, but I also have nothing to worry about, because I'm careful with what I post. :) This isn't the first time that people have been under the gun for what they've said, posted, on FB. I wonder if a potential empolyer would also ask for the PW for your email acct. as well.

I am currently not in the position to wonder about that (I can't get fired from my job. Being mom is forever. On a day like today it's a regretable fact, too)
But after 15 years of 'don't give out your password' I would probably stare at the request like those people just dropped in from outer space.

No, you may not have my password. I hate changing passwords.

Do they need access to my off side backup servers as well? You know, the carbon copy type services that allow you to have your files even when your house got blown away in an F5 tornado and your hard drive is in one county, the monitor in the next state and so on, not to mention the back up discs that are now orbiting the atmosphere...

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its kind of funny nobody ever says they would give their password over until they are sitting in a room with the boss and he asks. I asked about that today to our recruitment guys they said they cant remember anyone ever not giving up the password.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its kind of funny nobody ever says they would give their password over until they are sitting in a room with the boss and he asks. I asked about that today to our recruitment guys they said they cant remember anyone ever not giving up the password.

They are probably dumbfounded that they are being asked...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

But how bad do most applicants want the job? Let's be real; you get a kid desperately trying to become a cop, and tell him he's got to give up his left arm to get the job -- most of them are going to ask if they need to take it off at the elbow or the shoulder.

I honestly think it's unethical for an employer to insist on passwords. Yes -- they can and often should ask for a list of usernames/emails used on social networking sites. But even then -- somebody hiding something ain't gonna give up that account. That's why you do the BI, too.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would say, "Nice tactic, but it won't work on me. What else do you have?"

kitkatninja

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Give out passwords, heck no. However if a company wanted to know my "personal" side (not that there's much on my FB account), a good comprise would be for them to "friend" me on FB, that way they can see whats on my account for the purposes of interview (or if she's hot :uhyeah: ), but I can also "de-friend" them if I don't get the job :)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The companies are opening themselves to lawsuits. What is stopping me, after giving them my password, to go to an internet cafe and libel someone, or the competition. If caught, I could just claim it was them. After all, they had access to my account.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we dont ask for the password we ask them to log in and then we go thru the page while they are there and when were done they log back off.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we dont ask for the password we ask them to log in and then we go thru the page while they are there and when were done they log back off.

still, a machine that isn't my own, how can I trust that my key strokes aren't monitored and saved?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
still, a machine that isn't my own, how can I trust that my key strokes aren't monitored and saved?

I guess you cant but im not as paranoid as you. You could always change your password once your done.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess you cant but im not as paranoid as you. You could always change your password once your done.

I would most certainly have to.

I guess it's like the police knocking on your door asking to look in your panty drawer. if you say yes, what they find is fair game.

It is still intrusive, no two ways about it.
(and frankly, I am not sure if I would want to work for a company like that.)

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would most certainly have to.

I guess it's like the police knocking on your door asking to look in your panty drawer. if you say yes, what they find is fair game.
With the copy you can say no and it is your right.
I don't owe you a job.
It is still intrusive, no two ways about it.
(and frankly, I am not sure if I would want to work for a company like that.)
Yes, it may be intrusive but you can always say no and turn down the job. As an employer, an employee exists for only 2 reasons to my me money or to make my life easier so I can make more money. I want someone who I 'know' I CAN GET 120 OUT OF. NO OCCUPY losers. Don't like it go somewhere else.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, it may be intrusive but you can always say no and turn down the job. As an employer, an employee exists for only 2 reasons to my me money or to make my life easier so I can make more money. I want someone who I 'know' I CAN GET 120 OUT OF. NO OCCUPY losers. Don't like it go somewhere else.

what?

I suppose it depends on how hungry one is.

But somehow your point is lost to me...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/...k-rummaging-prompts-moms-privacy-crusade?lite

A mother who says her middle-school daughter was forced to let school officials browse the 13-year-old girl’s private Facebook page is speaking out against the practice because, she says, "other parents are scared to talk about it."Pam Broviak, who lives in the Chicago suburb of Geneva, Ill., says her daughter was traumatized when the principal of Geneva Middle School South forced the child to log in to her Facebook account, then rummaged through the girl's private information.
"What a violation of my daughter's privacy this whole episode was," Broviak said. The incident took "a huge toll on my daughter, who ended up crying through most of the rest of the day and therefore missed most of her classes. She was embarrassed and very upset."

Going after students now too.

Latest Discussions