Worst Idea Ever= Beatings

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To all the instructors out there: Do you customarily "beat the crap" out of your students? Is that the way you teach them?

I doubt it.

If he's a half decent instructor, he'll push you to your limit and a little beyond, but he won't "beat the crap" out of you. Even my upper rank teenage students know what their purpose is when they spar the lower ranks: challenge your opponent, and take the opportunity to try something new.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Also, sparring isn't just a collection of combos, keeping your guard up and counterhits. Strategy makes it gel.
Also remember, if your going to a "open tournament" you may be stepping into the ring with a kenpo stylist, kung fu stylist, shotokan stylist, etc. So your conditioning, speed, reactive speed, and ability to adapt to differant fighting styles, is very important.

OP
K

Knifehand

Sin said:
You got guts man... go for it
Thanks man, i think your one of the only people who sees where i am coming from...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that nothing happens overnight. That being said...it's apparent that you have a strong desire to compete and do well, which of course is fine. However, being good or getting good in the ring is one of those things that does not happen overnight. Its great and fortunate for you that you have someone (your GFs father) to help you in your training, but no matter how many times hes 'beating the crap out of you' :whip: :) don't forget to use the tourny as a learning exp. no matter how you do.

Have fun, good luck and please let us know how you do!!!

Mike

OP
K

Knifehand

MJS said:
One thing to keep in mind is that nothing happens overnight. That being said...it's apparent that you have a strong desire to compete and do well, which of course is fine. However, being good or getting good in the ring is one of those things that does not happen overnight. Its great and fortunate for you that you have someone (your GFs father) to help you in your training, but no matter how many times hes 'beating the crap out of you' :whip: :) don't forget to use the tourny as a learning exp. no matter how you do.

Have fun, good luck and please let us know how you do!!!

Mike
Thank you... I feel the same way...My girlfriend thinks that i want to win and will not settle for less... not true.. i want to place and do well... but i know... i have a world of things to learn... but its the drive i have... i want to go and do good... if not i will train harder...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
Thank you... I feel the same way...My girlfriend thinks that i want to win and will not settle for less... not true.. i want to place and do well... but i know... i have a world of things to learn... but its the drive i have... i want to go and do good... if not i will train harder...
Knifehand I have to add a few things here the goal of a MA'er is to do there best 100% of the time. A true Ma'ers does not rate themself by tournaments for all tournament are run differently. Even if you father in law beats the crap out of you have you learn anything of course that he can beat the crap out of you, Thats all. Now if you want to learn sparring tactics that will help you in Tournaments then you need to sparr people at those set of rule's, A great fighter does not make a great tournament fighter and a great tournament fighter does not make a great street fighter.You need to find out what you what and train that way for now there is plenty of time to change your mind to open up other avenues for the sake of training. Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

OP
K

Knifehand

Sin said:
So when is this sparring match..i would love to hear about it
I'll post as soon as it happens... or when i can feel my fingers again (JUST KIDDING!!):angel:

Brian (her father) told me it would have to be after his Recertification for Cho Dan. He was really focused on that... so it may be in a few weeks it may be tomorrow...but i will keep you all up to date!

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I get what you mean about wanting a challenge, man.All the sparring matches I enjoyed the most were against people far higher grades than me.You learn so much more when you really have to commit yourself.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
So, as some of you know, i'm pumped about my first tournament. If i go and spar other yellow/orange belts, there isn't much i can learn there, because they are just as inexperienced as i am. So i got the bright idea... why don't i ask a black belt to spar me so they can help me and all. Well, there is only one Dan i know well enough to ask such a favor, My girlfriend's father.

How many fathers have their daughters boyfriends willing suject themselves to beatings? Just one... moving on.

I went over to my girlfriend's house after my TSD class and hung out for a while... He dad comes home from his Dan class. My first words to him were, "So when are you going to kick my ***?"

The largest smile i've ever seen... i don't think i've ever seen anyone so happy to hear that.

We agreed on a date... and I, being a man of my word (and i really want to learn how spar really well) plan on sticking to it.

Any thoughts...
Excellent, though another choice of words might have been better! LOL Definately learn from those who are more adept that you, but do not negate the lower ranks- We even still learn a thing or 2 from them, its up to you to learn from the source provided.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I sparred my Sensei tonight and it was ok...first I started point sparring him and I was getting my a$$ kicked..then he told me....to stop and gave me a short speech and then well..I fought the way I was origionally taught and not TKD tourny point Sparring. Didn't do bad, at least until he got a good kidney shot in.....At least I didn't fall to the ground this time in mind numbing pain..........

Its always good sparring someone higher than you, thats where you get your training.

OP
K

Knifehand

Sin said:
I sparred my Sensei tonight and it was ok...first I started point sparring him and I was getting my a$$ kicked..then he told me....to stop and gave me a short speech and then well..I fought the way I was origionally taught and not TKD tourny point Sparring. Didn't do bad, at least until he got a good kidney shot in.....At least I didn't fall to the ground this time in mind numbing pain..........

Its always good sparring someone higher than you, thats where you get your training.
"up there, you don't have time to think. If you think you're dead" - "Maverick", Top Gun.

I think too much. Thats my biggest problem. I been told, just to let it happen, use my instinct and reflexes, and that allows me to relax and think about my target.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it going to beat you sensible or senseless?

Seriously, sparring a higher rank will not give you total expereince to fight another. For people have different favorite methods.

Latest Discussions