OP
W

white dragon

I wonder how good some of these are..... *goes off in search of more info*

OP
V

vincefuess

Let's start small.

Pankration and Mu Tau are Greek- though Mu Tau is an art developed by Jim Arvinitis while in the U.S.- he published a book describing the art as "Greek Karate" in the late 70's.

Now, take a deep breath and hang on- cuz we gonna do some listing: :eek:

BRAZIL: Capoeira, Gracie Jujutsu (originally Japanese- modified)

BURMA: Bando, Lethwei, Naban

CHINA: Hundreds of variations of Kung Fu, more than can be listed- southern and northern. So many, I won't even list examples.

EGYPT: Sebekkha

FRANCE: Savate, LaBoxe Francais

HAWAII: Lua, Hakoko, Kakalaau, Kula-Kulai, Mokomoko, Kenpo (?)

ICELAND: Glimae

INDIA: Bandesh, Binot, Fari-Gatka, Marma Adi, Silambam

INDONESIA: (many- but these are best known) Bersilat, Gulat, Pentjak Silat, Poekoelan, Silat, Sundra

JAPAN: (again- MANY- best known) Aikido, Aiki-Jutsu, Atemi, Genkatsu, Hakuda, Hojutsu, Iaido, Jojutsu, Judo, Jujutsu (many styles), Karate-Do (many styles), Kempo, Kenjutsu, Kendo, Kobudo, Kyudo, KyuJutsu, Masaki-Ryu, Ninjutsu, Shootboxing, Taijutsu, Torite, Yari-Jutsu, Yawara, Yoshin-Ryu, Yubi-Jutsu

KOREA: Many, many variations of Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won, Hwarang-Do, KwonBop, Tang Soo Do, Moo Duk Kwan, Tae Kyon, Yudo

MALAYSIA: Poc chek

OKINAWA: Countless styles of Te, Kobudo, Kobujutsu, Tegumi, Toide, Tuite

PHILLIPINES: Arnis (many styles including Kali), Kuntao, Tapado, Yaw Yan

THAILAND: Muay Thai, Thai Boxing

UNITED STATES: (who knows) American Karate (many styles), American Kenpo (many styles), Jeet Kune Do, Sport kickboxing, and variations on every art from everywhere in the world.

VIETNAM: Co-Vo-Do, Cuong Nhu, Nhu Dao, Qwan Ki Do, Viet Vo Dao, Vovinam

This is by no means an even remotely complete list- but I hit some of the major styles of each place. Whew!!!!

OP
D

disciple

Originally posted by vincefuess
INDONESIA: (many- but these are best known) Bersilat, Gulat, Pentjak Silat, Poekoelan, Silat, Sundra

In my opinion:
Bersilat & silat are just indonesian terms for martial arts. Poekoelan (which should be "pukulan" in modern Indonesian language) means strike/punch/hit. I don't think it is considered a martial art itself. Gulat is Indonesian term for wrestling/grappling of some kind, so I think it too is not Indonesian martial art. Those are only based on my understanding, I don't know if there are new Indonesian MA called by these terms. BTW, I have never heard of "sundra", does anybody know about this art?

INDONESIA:
Pencak Silat
Silat Serak
Cimande
Serah
Suci Hati
Cikalong
Ratu Adil

salute to you
:asian:

OP
D

disciple

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...better ask than get lost...
What's the difference between Muay Thai and Thai Boxing?
Does "OKINAWA" art considered Japanese art?

OP
W

white dragon

Would boxing be counted as British? Queens rules etc. Gon on, give us at least something! :)

OP
V

vincefuess

You know, it's funny I left out boxing (it was late when I posted that admittedly partial list). Boxing, though considered by many an American sport, I want to say had its beginnings in Ireland- though my reference material has it listed as both Ireland and England. Not being a boxing afficianado I can't say for sure. Perhaps a boxing guru like Gou Ronin could answer that one for us.

As far as the clarifications on the indonesian arts, thanks to "disciple" for the further clarification. That was my purpose when making this general list, so experts in each area can use it as a stepping stone to futher define and clarify.

Japan/ Okinawa: Technically all of Japans Karate arts came from Okinawa. It is generally recognized that Gichin Funakoshi was the first to succesfully introduce Te to Japan with the establishment of the ShotoKan style there. However, the Japanese versions of Te, while closely resembling their Okinawan roots, were developed into their own unique styles- that is why I made the distinction. I will go further to point out that it is generally believed and accepted that the Te arts practiced on Okinawa are translations of techniques learned from Chinas early KungFu or GungFu arts- Okinawa is closer to China than Japan is.

This is indeed a BIG BIG topic!:eek:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by vincefuess
As far as the clarifications on the indonesian arts, thanks to "disciple" for the further clarification.

Agreed! Isn't silat also used in other places (e.g. the Philippines), and bersilat in Malysia? See the Indochinese Martial Arts-General forum as well.

Japan/ Okinawa: Technically all of Japans Karate arts came from Okinawa.

I tell people that karate is (originally) Japanese in the same sense that the luau or hula dance or lei are American traditions. You wouldn't say that--you'd say that they're Hawaiian, even though Hawaii is (now) part of America. Similarly for karate (originally, though now there is Japanese karate).

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting thread. Speaking of the Euro combative systems. Awhile back I caught a segment on the idiot box that was really enlightening. They were showing the various weapons(swords,mace etc..) of the medeival period, and a number of the swords were HUGE. Of course my kenpo attitude kicked in, as in now how in the world could you use THAT effectively? Then a couple guys came into frame carrying these monsters. The swords had to be all of 6-7 feet, and the guard had to be a good foot long. These looked like some truly HEAVY tools. Anyway they squared off, and commenced to working. Brua let me tell you they used the blades edge,point,guard, and the end of the grip, FLUIDLY!!!! I was very impressed with their skills. I would have never guessed that something so big, and cumbersome looking. Could be so effectively used!!! Now a question. Does anyone actually still train in these medeival period arts?
Salute in Christ,
Color Me Schooled :eek:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are also a coupe of martial arts that seem to be Hawaiian in origin. They are based on breaking and dislocating.
Forms in these systems are based on sea and land animals ie: Shark sea hawk etc.
shadow

OP
G

GouRonin

Boxing is often considered a British sport/art/combat as it was made popular in the English isles. However it really took off when it came to North America as those %$#@ pussies in England who actually did the boxing were wussies. In North America you had men who fought "knuckle & skull" matches that eventually gravitated to boxing and toughened up the sport.

Gou "Stick it to the queen" Ronin

OP
W

white dragon

Not sure if you were joking or if you really are a xenophobic ***, however I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt... anyway, bare knuckle boxing was popular in the british isles long before it went to america. There are several famous folk songs about irish boxers that had to flee the country after killing men in illegal boxing matches.

OP
W

white dragon

Just going back to the bit about swords, I've done some training with broad or "two handed" swords and axes, and they do weigh a lot, but a lot of it is powered by your momentum. The reason for the heavy swords was to crush through chain mail and heavy armour. Most people hit by a sword like that would die of broken bones caused by the weight of the blade. These later changed to thinner lighter blades to get through the gaps in the armour.

OP
V

vincefuess

Though it really has no place in this discussion. Medieval swords were huge because the fighters mind was small- IE: they were looking for ways to blast through armour. The two handed claymore was just such a weapon. Any of us who have trained with two-handed weapons such as the staff know that the heavier weapon you train with, you can weild a lighter weapon more easily. I bought a staff at the Scarborough Faire a few years ago that was 7' long, octagonal, and about 2" in diameter, and is solid ASH. I bought it because it impressed me, and because I figured if I could do "staff set" with that godzilla of a stick, I could do it with rattan with no prob!!!! I was right.

History denotes that the staffmen of medieval times HAD to use weapons of such girth, for they had to disable the armored tank of a suited knight. Nobody but knights could afford swords, so it makes sense.

They lacked the insight to out-move their attackers and take out the back of the knees or whatever- they just didn't have the brains. Lord knows, put anybody in a suit of armor, no matter how bad they are, and I will kick their *** in my underwear today. (Good idea for pay-per-view). They would be grass.

You have to understand that we are far more advanced mentally- though in some cases (like mine) that can be hard to conceive. Remember- they didn't have the gumption to see electricity.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by donald
Now a question. Does anyone actually still train in these medeival period arts?
Salute in Christ,
Color Me Schooled :eek:

Yes there is. At midevial(sp?) festivals, you'll see more or less sucssesful variations of fighting styles. But. ... mostly they are taken from old books. No one has keep the styles alive as you can see in asia. Our history has much more "if this works better then we discard the old", so that's why most of the old styles are gone. What's left is the "oplympic" sword fighting. they have different schools there, but a "narrow" sword usage...

But try to look at these links:

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Pagoda/8187/Talhoffer.htm

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/paradoxes.html

I think these show alittlebit of the "good old days"!

/yari

KumaSan

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by disciple
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question...better ask than get lost...
What's the difference between Muay Thai and Thai Boxing?

Seem like this got lost in the shuffle. Muay Thai and Thai Boxing are the same thing. Some people thought that Muay Thai wouldn't catch on in the western hemisphere with a foreign name, so instead of calling it kickboxing which would get confused with the western style karate-influenced sport, they called it Thai Boxing. Some purists even hate that, insisting that it should be called Muay Thai.

Also, don't know if it's been mentioned, but we can add Krabi Krabong to the list of Thai arts.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by white dragon
Not sure if you were joking or if you really are a xenophobic ***, however I'll give ya the benefit of the doubt... anyway, bare knuckle boxing was popular in the british isles long before it went to america. There are several famous folk songs about irish boxers that had to flee the country after killing men in illegal boxing matches.

As I did state, boxing was popular in the isles but not elsewhere until it came to north america. Then it exploded in popularity. I will admit that there are plenty of tough boxers there though and boxing enjoys a great deal of it's history and technique because of it's start there.

It isn't breaking my heart that the monarchy cashes the fattest unemployment cheque in the world on your tab and that hopefully soon we'll follow the road that the USA and Australia walked and rid ourselves of the queen and the rest of those parasitic inbreds.
:shrug:

I like the Brits. Hate the monarchy.

OP
W

white dragon

I think Australia still has the queen, and Canada. but yeah, no one over here really likes the monarchy. Well unless you threaten to get rid of them and replace them with something European. Everyone hates Europe, it makes us think of the French, and even you guys hate them! *joke!!!*

OP
G

GouRonin

Australia is in the process of dumping the monarchy completely. They are only a figurehead here in Canada and if a lot of us had our way we'd dump those freeloaders.

I'd take Quebec of the queen anyday. At least they DO something. Ha ha ha ha!

I should point out by the way that the currect considered heavyweight champ of the world was born in the former British colony of Jamaica, lived in Canada for years and got his training here and fought for us in the olympics and now currently resides and fights out of England.

Latest Discussions