working with the heavy bag

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In dojang we have 5 heavy bag (ala boxer) sambonim boght some months ago, however we don't use them, sambonins likes palchaguis the most, teher is only one single guy who uses the heavy bag at the end of the class.

Last night no one of my students showed on dojang so I hung one of these heavy bags and afther a warmup/stretching session I started to work on the heavy bag, I must say I like it, I did only stationary kicks, no jumping or bouncing just regular kicks at maximun of power and I liked I did front kicks,roundhouse kicks miod level and high level,side kicks and hook kikcs. What I like abou this session was my high kicks were not bad at all, my right foot was reaching neck level (I am 6 feet tall) my lefth foot was at chest level, nothing to be surprise of but my right high kicks were very nice.

I really liked wotking with the heavy bag, don't understand why sambonim does not use in a regular basis, the beg help us to develop impact and power to our kicks.

I finishing session practicing Koryo, Kungam and Taeback.

Some times working alone is a good thing.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our school also does not seem to use the heavy bag much. Before and after class, yes, but not very often as part of the class. We do use heavy kicking shields though. I think the perception is that this makes it easier for the person holding the kicking shield to give feedback and suggestions.

Personally, I have a BOB in my basement and pound on him regularly. It's good training, and a lot of fun.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a heavy bag set up at home and use it regularly. Its an important part of my training and I have improved heaps since adding it in to my regular training schedule.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only thing we have that resembles heavy bags at the school are the freestanding wave master type. I have an 80lb hanging bag at home. To me it's a totally different work out. I use the bag at home a few times a week and love it.

Maestro402

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a personal dojang and in it I have a 100 lb heavy bag. Only thing I would say is be a little careful of the type of kicks you practice on a heavy bag. Trying a crescent (inside or out) could cause an issue if form is the least bit off. Also, don't start of slamming the bag with a roundhouse. Warm up to it. IMO, its like any tool, it can be beneficial if used correctly.

I've found its biggest benefit for me is back and side kick practice and even speed kicks.

Hust my two cents worth.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I really wish my school had heavy bags. They had the wave masters and we broke (made them leak) more than a couple. I think after that the owner told the instructors not to let us do drills on them as often or ones that involved full power kicks. At least that was my impression.

sangchae

White Belt
Reaction score
In dojang we have 5 heavy bag (ala boxer) sambonim boght some months ago, however we don't use them, sambonins likes palchaguis the most, teher is only one single guy who uses the heavy bag at the end of the class.

Last night no one of my students showed on dojang so I hung one of these heavy bags and afther a warmup/stretching session I started to work on the heavy bag, I must say I like it, I did only stationary kicks, no jumping or bouncing just regular kicks at maximun of power and I liked I did front kicks,roundhouse kicks miod level and high level,side kicks and hook kikcs. What I like abou this session was my high kicks were not bad at all, my right foot was reaching neck level (I am 6 feet tall) my lefth foot was at chest level, nothing to be surprise of but my right high kicks were very nice.

I really liked wotking with the heavy bag, don't understand why sambonim does not use in a regular basis, the beg help us to develop impact and power to our kicks.

I finishing session practicing Koryo, Kungam and Taeback.

Some times working alone is a good thing.

Manny
I practiced a lot with the heavy bag early on, then found that it wrecked my technique. When kicking the bag it covered up my poor balance because it stopped me at the end of the kick. When sparring if my partner avoided the kick I was off balance.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heavy bags are a great tool. In one of He Il Cho's books he cautions not to use a bag over 60 lbs. Impact exercises take a toll over time. Don Wilson commented once that that the impact angle of forces into the hip is far different in a side kick than in walking , running an jumping which the body anatomically my not be "designed" to absorb as well. Like many athletes MA people have at least their fair share of hip replacements .

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I practiced a lot with the heavy bag early on, then found that it wrecked my technique. When kicking the bag it covered up my poor balance because it stopped me at the end of the kick. When sparring if my partner avoided the kick I was off balance.
Great point. Early on technique, balance and distancing as in overreach are important. Hitting something was the last part of the equation. Boxers shadow box, karate ka practice kata. Once you have adhered to the above (3) all you lack is distance for hitting, which by now YOU control.....

Latest Discussions