Point Scoring

Domz

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
First up, I'm new to the forums so I'd just like to say hey to everyone out there. secondly and the main reason I'm making this post - I have a Tae-kwon-do tournament coming up, my first ever tournament and because I'm a low rank (7 Kup) I will be doing point scoring so my main questions would be what would be the best way of scoring the points and what should I do outside the Dojang to improve for my upcoming tournament? i.e kicks which are used more than others and are more effective at point scoring.

Thank you very much for your time.

Dominic

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,
First up, I'm new to the forums so I'd just like to say hey to everyone out there. secondly and the main reason I'm making this post - I have a Tae-kwon-do tournament coming up, my first ever tournament and because I'm a low rank (7 Kup) I will be doing point scoring so my main questions would be what would be the best way of scoring the points and what should I do outside the Dojang to improve for my upcoming tournament? i.e kicks which are used more than others and are more effective at point scoring.

Dominic

Can you advise the rules? Points under ITF rules sparring are scored differently than WTF. Punches in the head are allowed in ITF (which is awesome).

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Regardless of federation and rule system, my advice is the same: spend as much time training under your master as you can. Going to your first tournament is exciting, but in the big picture your job there is to learn what it's like--gain experience under pressure. It will give you some lessons on what to work on from there. Your master has (presumably) been to tournaments before and can tell you what you, specifically, need to work on now.

If you want to work on something on your own, I suggest practicing the skills your master has you doing at practice so they're more automatic when you need them.

There are no magic techniques, combinations or setups. Please post again and let us know how you did. Good luck comes from hard work...so good luck.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you advise the rules? Points under ITF rules sparring are scored differently than WTF. Punches in the head are allowed in ITF (which is awesome).

No offense to you but the WTF type of sparring does not do point sparring.

On to your question the lead leg is your best weapon in real point sparring followed by hands techniques to the head or body. Usally the back of your opponet is illegal which always give way to the lead leg roundhouse as well as axe kicks and backkicks.

OP
D

Domz

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, and it would appear I was wrong - It not point scoring it's point stopping so you score a point and the the match is stopped and then started again.
And the points are ;
Punch - 1 point
Kick to the body - 2 points
Kick to the head - 3points

Sorry about the confusion earlier.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, and it would appear I was wrong - It not point scoring it's point stopping so you score a point and the the match is stopped and then started again.
And the points are ;
Punch - 1 point
Kick to the body - 2 points
Kick to the head - 3points

Sorry about the confusion earlier.

The same principle apply from my earlier post.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No offense to you but the WTF type of sparring does not do point sparring.

On to your question the lead leg is your best weapon in real point sparring followed by hands techniques to the head or body. Usally the back of your opponet is illegal which always give way to the lead leg roundhouse as well as axe kicks and backkicks.

If they don't award points and there is no knockout how is the winner determined?

Or do you mean they don't do stop point sparring?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they don't award points and there is no knockout how is the winner determined?

Or do you mean they don't do stop point sparring?

Yes they do not stop to award points....
icon10.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you're doing the point sparring we used to do (still in the rules manual, but we don't do it very often) the key is in your sparring style. Unless you are very good at blocking, you cannot rely on counter fighting - you must get in the first technique that scores, and keep going until the point is called; points that are seen after the first scoring point do not get counted.

The key here is the point that is called - if the referees don't see it, it doesn't matter how good it is or what it hits. That means you need to rely on techniques that can be seen by the referees. These would be techniques to the head (less likely to be blocked from view by your opponent's body) or middle to long-range kicks (also less likely to be blocked from view by your opponent's body. Hand techniques to the head are much more likely to be seen that hand techniques to the body. Leg techniques are generally more visible. Don't worry about the multi-point techniques (if there are any) as they are generally much more difficult - that's why they're worth more points. Concentrate on using the best techniques in your arsenal - that is the techniques you are the best at - in a fashion that makes them both legal and highly visible.

Ask your instructor if s/he has a copy of the rules - then read them carefully and ask questions about them. Tournament sparring is a game - and the name of the game is "score points". Only by understanding the rules that the referees will be following can you play the game properly.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds almost like the ITA rules.

In that case, aside from doubling up on the technique - just in case the judge didn't see the first 3 kicks you landed... ;)

Keep in mind what gives you strikes. With 3 strikes and various points for various infractions, it does not take much to tank your first match (I did that....thankfully I was too sleepy to realize how messed up my round was :D)

Also, while it is very good to have a game plan ans to what techniques you use and how and when, observe your partner/opponent. Something like keeping a soft eye on the head/shoulder triangle. Much of what happens below is still advertised there. And in time you learn how to read them and counter accordingly.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes but the WTF does not allow hand shots to the head like in the ITF

Exactly what I said when I replied to this post. The main difference is that ITF allows punches to the head. The kicks are basically the same. In this case, it sounds like the OP is going to be participating in a point-stop type tourney. In which case it might be worth searching the internet for Karate points sparring for tips if searching for TKD point- stop sparring tips doesn't uncover much as this is the main sparring rule set for sport Karate (Shotokan).

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly what I said when I replied to this post. The main difference is that ITF allows punches to the head. The kicks are basically the same. In this case, it sounds like the OP is going to be participating in a point-stop type tourney. In which case it might be worth searching the internet for Karate points sparring for tips if searching for TKD point- stop sparring tips doesn't uncover much as this is the main sparring rule set for sport Karate (Shotokan).

Around here it is mainly used by the ATA school and those Karate groups such as the TKL ot AOK leagues. He should look up some of the A.A.U. videos for Tae Kwon Do sparring because they use the point stopping in there matches, so google AAU National point sparring 2010 and you can see alot of this type of sparring.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Around here it is mainly used by the ATA school and those Karate groups such as the TKL ot AOK leagues. He should look up some of the A.A.U. videos for Tae Kwon Do sparring because they use the point stopping in there matches, so google AAU National point sparring 2010 and you can see alot of this type of sparring.
This is why it is hard to take students to light contact point (stop) type tournaments,you never know which rule set they will use.Could be grabbing,holding,attack after falling, groin shots,back target,sweeps, the list goes on. Not to mention stepping out of bounds is sometimes a penalty and sometimes not. Light contact can very from ring to ring, so can head contact,if you are used to just slightly dodging you may find its a point.
The AAU tournament always has the same rule set, usually quality ref's and has 2 rounds with coaching in between.This is a good way to participate in point style sparring.
The one common denomenator I believe is speed and using kicks to keep the distance.I like what Terry says about fast kick roundhouse, cut kicks, front kicks all from the lead leg.Then you need a step back kick and a jump back kick for those leaping backfists. A fast leadleg round (ahp bal) for the head.

OP
D

Domz

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow! I'd would just like to say to everyone - Thank you very much for the help. Now all I need to do is make sure I don't get knocked out in the first round ;)

Grover

White Belt
Reaction score
I know I`m a lower rank but I get a lot of advice from black belts. I`d say realy on side kicks, snap kicks and round-d-rounds and round-d-tound combos

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

Dominic

I assume you have an instructor/coach. If so, ignore most of the advise anybody has given you on this thread and listen very carefuly to the person who trains you and will be on your corner. Sorry folks, but I think the adage of too many cooks spoil the broth might apply here.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a Tae-kwon-do tournament coming up, my first ever tournament and because I'm a low rank (7 Kup) I will be doing point scoring so my main questions would be what would be the best way of scoring the points and what should I do outside the Dojang to improve for my upcoming tournament?

If I were you, I would tell your instructor that you are still a beginner and that you do not feel that it is appropriate for you to be judging others at a tournament.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I were you, I would tell your instructor that you are still a beginner and that you do not feel that it is appropriate for you to be judging others at a tournament.
You know he means point fighting not point scoring?