Heavy Bag

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just hung a heavy bag in my garage and wonder what cardio workouts you would recommend. We don't use them much during class so I don't really know what to do with it other than kick it.

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are several good cardio workouts you can do. One of the one's I have done is to do as many front leg turning kicks in 10 seconds, go as fast as you can. Let's say for example you did 20 kicks in 10 seconds, you then multiply that number by 3 and then go for 30 seconds and try to reach that number, you can then multiply it in 3 again and go for 60 seconds. Do both legs of course. And if you dont reach your intended target then make it up with some push-ups

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'll let other tkd folks give you their routines, but i'll tell you what not to do. don't go punching the thing as hard as you can. that's not what it's for, & unless your hands & wrists are extremely well conditioned &/or well wrapped you'll probably just hurt your self. punching a heaving bag should focus on technique, speed, & accuracy.

sorry i know you didn't ask but i talk to all kinds of guys who hurt their wrists wailing away on the bag as hard as they can.

jf

dsuh86

White Belt
Reaction score
You can do a routine of kicks and punches.

front kick x 10
roundhouse x 10
back kick x 10
tornado x 10

punches

jab x 25
jab and punch x 25
undercut x 25
elbow x 25

punch + kicks

front jab and kicks x 10

Just be creative and mix up punches and kicks. Good luck with the workout!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Put an egg timer on for 2 or 3 minute rounds and then move around the bag throwing strong technique. Take a 30 second to 1 minute break and do it again. Do as many rounds as you can. If you're really hard core, you can do pushups or situps in between rounds.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
1. Grab a CD player with large speakers

2. Grab a copy of the Mortal Kombat soundtrack

3. Turn the volume up to 11

4. Wrap your hands/wrists, and bag gloves is not a bad idea, either

5. Grab a jump rope

Ok, now you're ready to begin.

1. Start by stretching out...completely

2. Warm up with 3 minutes of a fairly fast pace with the jump rope

3. After jump rope, do 3 reps of 10 pushups, 30 second rest between reps

4. On the bag, work the left jab, moving evasively after each jab, 50 jabs

5. Work the right jab in the same manner, 50 jabs

6. Work the right reverse, 50 reps, moving evasively after each punch

7. Work the left reverse in the same manner, 50 reps

8. Jab/reverse punch combo, moving around the bag, 50 reps

9. 3 minutes of jump rope at a fair pace

10. Left leg in front, front round house kick, moving around bag, 30 reps

11. Right leg, same kick, moving around bag, 30 reps

12. Left leg in frount, right leg rear round house kick, moving around bag, 30 reps

13. Same as before, right leg in front, moving around bag, 30 reps

14. Repeat this for each of the following kicks: front, side, spin side, spin hook

15. After all kicks have been completed, 3 more minutes of jump rope

16. For 1 minute, perform as many round house kicks from alternating legs as possible, rest for 30 seconds...3 reps

17. 1 minute rest

18. Freespar...time yourself for 10 minutes, and pace yourself like you're actually fighting an opponent. Each technique should be delivered with clean precision...if the technique is sloppy, peform technique until correct

19. 3 minutes jump rope

20. 1 minute constant sparring: for 1 minute, perform as many techniques as possible in as many combos as possible without stopping, moving around the bag...rest for 30 seconds...3 reps

21. 1 minute jump rope

22. stretch and cool down...you may want to walk around for a while after stretching to allow your muscles to stretch properly

Things to remember:

Bring a large container of water with you, and drink it during the rest periods...but don't gulp it down. Drink it in small sips...just enough to wet your mouth and throat.

When hitting the bag, either with your hands or feet, hit with about 75% force. As Jarrod pointed out, injuries can occur when hitting a bag with full force.

It's a good idea to wear shoes while you work out at home, even if you're on a foot-friendly surface. This will allow you to be used to the feeling of wearing shoes, so that when you train in class, you will notice a slight difference in the ease of the kicks and movement.

Stretching is very, very important. The same as with hitting the heavy bag, you can injur yourself very easily if your muscles are not ready for the strain.

I used to do this workout when I was in highschool and attending class regularly. I haven't had the chance to try it now, since I'm out of shape and everything, but I'm quite sure I won't be able to make it all the way through the workout now without having to rest for a longer period of time than is listed. And that's ok. If you feel like you physically can't continue with the workout, then rest. There's no shame in that. But, on the other side of the coin, you do need to push yourself. Just know your limits of how far to push yourself.

And, last but certainly not least...you don't have to have someone standing around watching you work out...(I know I would hate that...bag time is me time)...but don't workout if you're home by yourself, or if you don't have a way to get in touch with someone. Safety first.

So, try that, and let me know if it works. If it helps, maybe I'll start trying it out...haha

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Make sure you're maintaining good technique. That's one of the most important things. Like jarrod said, there are too many people who go wailing away on bags and end up just hurting themselves (I was one of them once).

Here's a sample workout for if you want to really burn (keeping in mind that I loves me some sweat and burn):

-Warm-up (moving slow)
10x front kicks each leg
10x roundhouse kicks
10x back kicks
10x jab
10x reverse punch
10x jab-reverse punch combo

-dynamic stretching
move legs up, side, back, in circles to stretch
knee raises and butt-kickers
stetch arms and rotate shoulders

-beginning
Anything from 3 to 10 rounds (2 - 5 minutes) of anything you've got (punches, kicks, knees, whatever; remember to maintain good form, though).
In between each round - rest 30 seconds, then 10 pushups, 10 situps, 10 pullups, then rest 30 to 60 seconds before the next round (beyond pushups, situps, and pullups you can throw in cherry pickers, mountainclimbers, or anything else that suits you).

-Middle
Take a short break, 3 - 4 minutes, stretching dynamically and moving around, but cooling down just a little
Then go into drills on the bag
For instance work jab-jab-reverse punch for a minute each side, then maybe go to jab-reverse punch-front kick-back fist, and work different combinations for 5 - 20 minutes. Follow this by a short break to walk around, drink, and cool off just a little

-End
Blast that bag for however long you can until you come to the point just before you can no longer maintain good form. This could take 3 minutes, it could be 35 minutes, depending on where you're at shape-wise. The point here is to work your body hard without destroying your body. If you start punching and your wrist keeps bending to the side, then you should've already stopped. If you keep kicking and your hips are sagging or you're losing your balance, then you shouldn't be kicking any more.

-Cool Down
Face the bag in a horse-riding stance. Execute slow, strong punches to the bag switching from one hand to the other. Not striking hard, but strong and pushing a little at the end. I would do this for anything from 50 to 500 punches.
Followed by some nice, long static stretching while cooling down
Hit the shower (or stream room if you have it)
If the insteps, shins, knuckles, etc. are bruised, swollen, or a little sore, rub some bio-freeze, mineral ice, tiger balm, or a homemade salve on them.

Side note: If at any time in a striking workout you see that your knuckles or insteps have torn open, stop your workout immediately. You can continue to exercise, but you should not strike with the torn open skin anymore. Give that some time to heal and then get back to it.

That's just a sample workout of what you may be able to do. Keep in mind that this is just an all around type of workout. If you're training for full-contact or for point fighting or for something else, then you should tailor your workout to fit you. I like long hardy workouts that burn, but I know other people who prefer workouts with longer pauses in between, or greater focus on single techniques. You'll have to find what is right for you.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If it is one of the lighter heavy bags you can do what I used to do with it. My bag was light enough that when I kicked it started to swing. I would play a game of making sure it does not swing towards me. This means I would kick it away from me and then as it swung back to the vertical position I would kick it away from me again. The game is to stop it from going past the vertical and heading towards you. It gets harder when you say that you are not allowed to do the same kick twice in a row.

This game gets you used to kicking the bag in the centre so that it swings directly away from you and not off to the side. It gets you to kick with enough power to give you time to execute the next kick and it gets you throwing several kicks together in a short space of time. It also gets you used to kicking a moving opponent.

OP
Y

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks everyone for the great ideas.
icon14.gif

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some great work out ideas guys, thanks.
I have a heavy bag and often find myself doing the same old routine, so there's some new ideas for me to try there.

Thank you! :)

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Clutch the bag with your knees and wrap your arms around it-hang there suspended for as long as you can. Try to hold yourself up for gradually longer periods of time. (Thought I'd throw in a non-striking exercise.)

mozzandherb

Green Belt
Reaction score
Clutch the bag with your knees and wrap your arms around it-hang there suspended for as long as you can. Try to hold yourself up for gradually longer periods of time. (Thought I'd throw in a non-striking exercise.)
just make sure your bag is hanging securely for this one...lol

Latest Discussions