Funny and encouraging

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yestardey I got a cell phone call from my sambunim, very short call just something like this.... Manny are you coming tonight to dojang? please bring two 2 inches wide bandages please.. As I was driving my car (I don't recomend this while driving) I just aswer Yes.... and hung up.
Bandages?? for what? Hummmm..... well, I drove to the near drug store and bougth them.

I went training and sambunim told me he bought a few punching bags or heavy bags.... Uhhmmm heavy bags... nice, we always use palchagis and very few the kicking shields (dummys).

We did our class and we ended with roundouse kicks to the heavy bags, I really like it cause I am bored about the palchagis, and all the classmates were enjoying the bags alot putting all their efforts in their kicking.

When we finish class sambonim ask the seniors to stay because he was going to show us how to wrap and protect our hands with the bandages cause we are going to have a boxing class.

I wrap my hands and had 3 rounds of two minutes each one using hands in the bag uding mostrly jabs and cross hands and some hooks, me and my parthner finished breathless but very happy.

The heavy bag is a nioce intrument to work with it, I really love it.

Manny

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny,
that is awesome. Working off the heavy bag is very important with hands and feet. It will teach you about how to hit and how to generate penetrating power.
You have a good teacher : )

Dave O.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm happy for you, Manny. But I would be disappointed if you haven't been exposed to heavy bag punching before. This should be a core part of adult training.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm happy for you, Manny. But I would be disappointed if you haven't been exposed to heavy bag punching before. This should be a core part of adult training.

When I was a teen I used to use heavy bag ala boxing, then when I entered TKD with my fisrth sambunim (bakck in the 80s) we used heavy bag but not a a primary tool, as a primary tool we used the kicking shields.

In my actual dojang we use palchagis the most and now I hope we will using the heavy bag ofthen.

The heavy bag teach us how to kick and punch hard there is no doubt abou it, also helps to strenght the wrist and knuckles and also helps to condition the shin and instep too.

Manny

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Manny,
I like the heavy bag too, and use it often. You are not limited to closed hand techniques. I also include palm heel, knife hand, ridge hand, and backfist techniques with the heavy bag. I like to mix blocking and striking combinations as I was taught long ago that any defense should flow into an attack.

Carl

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Manny,
I like the heavy bag too, and use it often. You are not limited to closed hand techniques. I also include palm heel, knife hand, ridge hand, and backfist techniques with the heavy bag. I like to mix blocking and striking combinations as I was taught long ago that any defense should flow into an attack.

Carl

Yup, I do use elbow and knee too and for fast backfists to even a ridge hand. The heavy bag helps to make more stronger blows.

Manny