Working in favor or against your natural gifts

Z

zen_hydra

Assuming one trains in a well balanced way, should a person train primarily to take advantage of there preexisting gifts, or should they focus on downplaying those abilities and focus on other areas (such as someone with long reach primarily focusing on 0 range combat)?

One of my personal issues is that I constantly wonder how I might developed differently as a martial artist if I was physically less advantaged than I am. I am 6' 5"(1.98 meters) tall. I weigh about 250 lb (113.4 kilos). I am naturally quite muscular, and strong. I have faster than average reaction time. The speed of my hands and feet are faster than most people that I have encountered. I have long limbs that give me a large reach advantage over most people. I have lived most of my life picking up various martial skills starting at a very young age, so I think tactically, and am comfortable (actually infatuated is a better term) with combat. I train very hard, because I love to push myself. When it comes to sparring and fighting, against most opponents, I am growing less and less satisfied. If I can out speed, out power, and outreach my opponents with little effort, what is the point of using finely honed technique. I, of course, feel the need to pursue technique for the sake of perfecting myself, but the driving need to learn technique so that I can competently defend myself isn't there because I already can (better than most).

So the question I pose to myself is, If you where 5' tall, and 120 lbs how much skill would you need to have to overcome not just the raw advantages of someone who is 6' 5" (stronger, faster,etc), but also overcome whatever his skill level is?

OP
M

Mormegil

I suppose if you've already fully honed your skills that take advantage of your long reach and such, then you might as well develop your other skills to be a more "complete" martial artist.

Maybe work on short range, where long limbs can be a hinderance. If your martial art does trapping, develop that. Emphasize grappling and ground work.

To answer your question, what would I do against a substantially larger opponent. It depends on the opponent. If he appears comfortable with his hands and long reach, I suppose I would work at long range and try to use my longest weapon, my feet agaisnt him. If he seems comfortable with the legs, then I would go in close and try to tie him up with close range stuff - inside boxing, trapping, and take advantage of my lower center of gravity in standing grappling (throws, sweeps etc)

OP
Z

zen_hydra

I do seem to spend a good deal of time trying to explain to my sparring partners how to best get inside my reach. I do mix things up to better challenge myself when sparring. Giving myself handicaps, and severely limiting myself on what techniques I will use.

My question isn't so much about my own situation, but more of a philosophical one. Should we focus on our talents, or our weaknesses

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
so what you are bascially asking (i think) is if i'm already 6' 5" and 250 lbs, and i take on a guy that is 5' 10" and weighs 170 lbs, and i'm faster, and stronger than him, why don't i just give him an old fashioned beat down instead of trying to "play by the rules" so to speak?

OP
S

sweeper

our talents.

At leaste to start we should strengthen what we are good at because that's where we will improve the fastest, It doesn't make sence to me to make a weakness an area of focus to the point of making it your prime area of practice. If you wouldn't want to do it in a real fight (for reasons of risk) why concentrate on it? I would suggest to strengthen your strength and than make sure you are compitant enough in all other ranges so you can deffend in them and manuever into a position of advantage.

It sounds like you are already pritty darn good at using your strength speed and reach, so It probably wouldn't hurt to expand into other regions if you havn't already.

But one final note, if you are so good at your strength that fighting within that strength is not a challenge to you, than you need to find someone stronger in your strength than you or move to amore challenging area, simply because if you aren't challenged there your advance will be no where near maximal.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by zen_hydra .....So the question I pose to myself is, If you where 5' tall, and 120 lbs how much skill would you need to have to overcome not just the raw advantages of someone who is 6' 5" (stronger, faster,etc), but also overcome whatever his skill level is?...

Obviously, the skills to break limbs. In WingChun, there is this fighting concept of Attacking the Weapons. Needless to the say, the one with the longer reach has the advantage. Have you watched Bruce Lee's Game of Death? His last fight scene against Kareem Abdul, who dwafted Lee in height and reach, would be of interest to you.

OP
C

chufeng

Given your height and conditioning, you could easily outrun any antagonist...why stand and fight?

chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

Both. First of all, you need to maximize your strengths, and minimize your weaknesses.

I'm not the tallest guy around at around 5'7" at around 180 pounds at a 9% BF. My strengths are basically speed, agility, coordination, leverage, and power. I personally like outside, speed type fighting with the legs, or fighting at an arms length so I can stick and move. I also like grappling a lot due to my advantage in leverage and my strength for certain takedowns. However, I do not like in-fighting. When I'm in that position, I either move out or move in.

In a real fight, use your strengths. In practice, work on using your strengths AND work on weaknesses. If you aren't poetry in motion, don't try to be in a real fight. You should work on your coordination, agility, flexibility, speed, etc. but no reason to try to act like Sugar Ray Robinson in a real fight.

You need to be adept... That means learning how to fight lightweights who move like bees, tall lanky people, tall and heavy people, short and stocky people, etc. Not only that, but you need to work on how other people fight. No two people, even if they're from the same disciplines and arts, fight the same. There are certain differences in say, Rickson vs. Royce Gracie and what moves they like to use, etc. You need to be ready.

Size is a natural advantage, but in the aspect of things, isn't all that important. On the mat, in the ring, etc., it plays a VERY IMPORTANT role but in the down and dirty rules of street fighting, it really isn't that important. Trust me on this. The biggest advantage a huge guy has on the street is confidence, and the smaller guy lacking it, so it's a two-pronged blade.

Unsurpassed strength does not mean unsurpassed power

If two people were evenly matched, then the stronger person would win... But in reality... No two people are the same. Rarely is one person almost the exact speed with one another. What it really comes down to is who's the faster thinker. Who can better utilize his environment? Who can better adapt? A person who has understood the importance of even the simplest technique such as a feint or the jab, etc. will come out on top.

The term "two evenly matched fighters" is not really an assessment on speed, strength, power, flexibility, etc. Not very accurate. Two people might be close when fighting, but each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

Given your height and conditioning, you could easily outrun any antagonist...why stand and fight?

Where is the fun in that???

Have you watched Bruce Lee's Game of Death?

Yes, I have. That is on of Bruce's best fighting scenes (IMO). You can clearly see how much more skill someone Bruce's size would need to have to deal with someone that much larger (and stronger). I need to find someone that dwarfs me in size and power like that, so that I can better understand what it is like for the average person who fights someone my size.

Perhaps confidence plays a bigger role than I had thought in these sort of situations. Since I have always felt confident in my ability to defend myself, I have assumed that is how most people feel. I am generally very empathetic, but I really have a hard time understanding the kind of mindset (like a lot of women have) that would cause one to just freeze up in the face of danger. I guess my problem is that I have never been a victim, and anytime that anyone has tried to overpower me (since reaching my full size) has done so at there detriment. I just can't see that attitude changing if I suddenly found myself a 5' tall 110 lb female. Better a rabid hamster, than a docile cat.

OP
K

KanoLives

Originally posted by zen_hydra
I need to find someone that dwarfs me in size and power like that, so that I can better understand what it is like for the average person who fights someone my size.

Hey I heard Shaq is looking for a sparring partner. :D

J/K.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by zen_hydra ...
Perhaps confidence plays a bigger role than I had thought in these sort of situations. Since I have always felt confident in my ability to defend myself, I have assumed that is how most people feel. I am generally very empathetic, but I really have a hard time understanding the kind of mindset (like a lot of women have) that would cause one to just freeze up in the face of danger. I guess my problem is that I have never been a victim, and anytime that anyone has tried to overpower me (since reaching my full size) has done so at there detriment. I just can't see that attitude changing if I suddenly found myself a 5' tall 110 lb female. Better a rabid hamster, than a docile cat.....

Find a biker bar, then do as someone once suggested. Go up to the biggest and meanest biker and spit into his drink. I am quite sure that would resolve your dilemma of not having sufficiently competent opponents to spar with.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

Find a biker bar, then do as someone once suggested. Go up to the biggest and meanest biker and spit into his drink. I am quite sure that would resolve your dilemma of not having sufficiently competent opponents to spar with.

I am really not looking to acquire a criminal record, thank you very much.

I actually have a biker that attends my school. While not particularly tall, he does pack quite a bit of mass. At his current skill level he's really not much more than a brawler (I can take him apart pretty easily). I have no delusions that I could take on a whole bar full of rowdy drunks and win, though.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I dunno what it is, but it just seems like you are taking MA or looking to take MA for the wrong reasons.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

I dunno what it is, but it just seems like you are taking MA or looking to take MA for the wrong reasons.

Why, because my focus is on developing myself to my full potential? I am not taking martial arts for self defense. I could already defend myself very well. I am not taking martial arts to learn discipline. I have been learning discipline throughout my life. I am not taking martial arts for a history lesson. I can acquire a much more in-depth lesson from a university. I am looking to push myself to my limits, and perhaps, beyond. I am trying to make myself the most powerful warrior that I can be. Martial arts is the physical leg of my mind, body, and spirit development.

So please tell me and everyone else how I am studying martial arts for the wrong reasons.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with that. However, adding humble pie to your diet is good for your health, as I was once told. Humility keeps your from been blindsided by overconfidence.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

Humility is a virtue. So is honesty. I have not been boasting for the benefit of my ego. I have only stated facts and observations about myself. It would be false of me (and counterproductive to my overall post) to say that I am anything other than what I am. I never claimed to be the fastest, strongest, or most talented individual around. I have merely mentioned that my natural gifts/talents make me feel like they might be inhibiting my martial arts experience by making thing too easy for me when sparring against others. I am sorry that false modesty is what you seem to expect from people. I am no more responsible for the talents or gifts that I have, than anyone else that has talents or gifts.

"I am what I am." Popeye the sailor

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not here to lecture anyone. However, since you believe you are so talented that you are hard pressed to find worthy opponents, then there are many avenues to pursue. K-1, UFC, Pride, Lumpinee Stadium, Ratchadamneon Stadium, to name a few. Opportunities away. Best wishes to you.

OP
Z

zen_hydra

I actually do intend to try some open martial arts tournaments when I get time and funding (I have to imagine that the entry fees and travel expenses can be pretty steep, and the US Army is currently dictated where I can go), and thanks for the well wishes. Best of luck to you, as well.

Latest Discussions