Wong Shun Leung students are impressive!

AndyCFK

White Belt
Reaction score
Sifu David Peterson's new Wong Shun Leung School in Malaysia

Last edited by a moderator:

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Always been very interested in Gary Lam. He comes across as a progressive, smart and humble master. Sadly, Im not so impressed with Dave Peterson. His videos on youtube are very disappointing from what youd expect of the WSL name (if you are going to boast that you are directly influenced by such a great kung fu practitioner, you need to live up to it)

I think a lot of people focus on who taught who and masters dont do themselves favours by boasting lineage etc. Im proud to currently train under a fantastic master, but Im my own fighter.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
You must grab the Gary Lam dvd's, I know that's not specific but you will find your own way. Think you will like them. And I wouldn't make presumptions about someone, praise doesn't come easily.

Can anyone clarify which day W.C Day actually is meant to be? Couple of conflicting bits of information. 18th March or 19th March

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
personally I don't find WSL top students to be any better or worse than any of Ip Man's other senior second generation disciples (ie those taught by Ip Man's other students other long periods). I see good and bad individuals in all lineages but unfortunately the further from the source you get the more diluted the knowledge becomes in all lineages.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
personally I don't find WSL top students to be any better or worse than any of Ip Man's other senior second generation disciples (ie those taught by Ip Man's other students other long periods). I see good and bad individuals in all lineages but unfortunately the further from the source you get the more diluted the knowledge becomes in all lineages.

Diluted? The further you get from the source, the more the system changes. Often for the worse, but not always. Was Yip Man's WC a dilution of Chan Wah Shun's? Was Leung Jan's art a dilution of the WC of earlier masters such as Wong Wah Bo? Was Ng Mui's art a dilution of Shaolin? Do you have to go back to Master Ugh who defeated Ogh in the caves of Igh back in 78,000 BCE to get the real thing?

In the study of kung-fu, as in many fields, there is a tendency to believe that there was an original, authentic version that represents some kind of "perfection" or "true knowledge" and that each following generation loses some of that original knowledge. Yet every few generations a great master emerges, often improving on what came before. Today's WC is a mixed bag, but I know there is some very good stuff out there. However, with no challenges or "pressure testing" to separate what is real from what is fantasy, there is no conclusive way to separate the wheat from the chaff. This, more than the passage of time or generations is what contributes to the decline of combat effectiveness in the martial arts.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Diluted? The further you get from the source, the more the system changes. Often for the worse, but not always. Was Yip Man's WC a dilution of Chan Wah Shun's? Was Leung Jan's art a dilution of the WC of earlier masters such as Wong Wah Bo? Was Ng Mui's art a dilution of Shaolin? Do you have to go back to Master Ugh who defeated Ogh in the caves of Igh back in 78,000 BCE to get the real thing?

In the study of kung-fu, as in many fields, there is a tendency to believe that there was an original, authentic version that represents some kind of "perfection" or "true knowledge" and that each following generation loses some of that original knowledge. Yet every few generations a great master emerges, often improving on what came before. Today's WC is a mixed bag, but I know there is some very good stuff out there. However, with no challenges or "pressure testing" to separate what is real from what is fantasy, there is no conclusive way to separate the wheat from the chaff. This, more than the passage of time or generations is what contributes to the decline of combat effectiveness in the martial arts.

I overlooked this post.
I have to say, I'm in total agreement with this. We tend to glamourize the old days and past masters, and conclude that everything that has come since is a poor imitation of what came before.
In some cases this is true, but not in all cases.
The old masters didn't have the modern conveniences that we have today....all in all, they may not have spent anymore time in training than we do today, when you consider the time they spent laboring and doing the normal day to day activities that we are able to take for granted, they had, I'm sure little time and probably little energy.
What they did have, was the "luxury" thrust upon them of having to prove their art's effectiveness. I'm sure many a charletan or BS'er was dealt with back in the day by having to put his fists where his mouth was or his opponent would put his fist there instead.

Because of our civilized(?) times, many are able to teach and pass along a load of crap. that in the old days would heve been dealt with in a whole other way.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of the videos here might help you,perhaps you checked them already.
http://www.youtube.com/user/ScienceFighting
It's Phillip Bayer's Wing Chun channel. There are alot of old videos of Wong,not the best quality,but then again,it's treasure. Mostly are done by Phillip Bayer himself i reckon. I think in Europe,he was Wong's closest student.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Lee is an ex brother in law of WSL and used to live in germany at one time. He now continues to teach in Australia. WSL used to call him e "The Machine" because of the regularity and intensity
of his wing chun practice and teaching.

joy chaudhuri

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barry Lee is an ex brother in law of WSL and used to live in germany at one time. He now continues to teach in Australia. WSL used to call him e "The Machine" because of the regularity and intensity
of his wing chun practice and teaching.

joy chaudhuri

One of my students lived right next door to Barry Lee , and I said to him "What the hell are doing training with me then, you should see if you can train under Barry".

As well as being called the "Machine" it was also said that if you were hit by Barry Lee you don't get back up.

nikthegreek_3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
At a seminar I attended year before last, the WSL students dominated in Chi Sau. There were lots of lineages there and I could see they were inpressed. It wasn't a case of lots of crap people like me and some of them were just better, 99% of them were instructor or very long term practiconers.

I did wonder why at the time and asked on here, no one could/would explain. Although I couldnt explain and still can't, how exactly they were dominating and why. I suppose I would need a video of it and a deeper understanding myself to know. An old member on here was there and I haven't had the chance to meet and train with him yet..I will...when I do I will ask him what he thinks.

I still love the Science of In fighting documentry and although it is dated and a bit funny in parts. It still explains our art to layman and shows WSL himself doing Wing Chun. At the end it said he was going to make another about Mook, Knives and pole....as I can't find anything I am assuming it never happened??
They pay much attention to Chi Sao because it is the method in which you can develop most tools of Wing Chun:
This is also a WSL lineage teacher. (My) (Cross-learned from 3 sublineages):

Latest Discussions