Wing Chun Reference

dabeer

White Belt
Reaction score
We'd like to invite all you to participate in a new Wing Chun reference site.

Wing Chun Reference is a semantic wiki about Wing Chun (詠春, Ving Tsun, Wing Tsun, Weng Chun, Yong Chun, Wing Tzun, Wing Tjun, Vinh Xuan etc.) The objective of this project is to create a description of this Chinese martial art that is systematic, objective, factual and that allows everyone to easily share their knowledge about the art.

Wing Chun Reference covers the following Wing Chun related entities:
- people (practitioners)
- facts (standardized "sentences" about people)
- places
- organizations
- schools
- exercises
- concepts
- tools (weapons, training equipment)
- books
- instructional videos
- YouTube videos
- internet sites

Main features of Wing Chun Reference:
- every user, not just administrators, can contribute their knowledge to the site and many users can work on the same page
- the use of categories enforces inputting data in a systematic way and ensures a certain piece of information is only entered once in a well-defined place
- data is broken down into small, easily arguable chunks of information, which leaves little room for unverifiable information
- software is used to infer and deduct facts from pieces of information contained within the site
- users can ask the server their own queries (like "tell me which practitioners were born in the chinese province of Guangdong in the first half of the 20th century" or "what Wing Chun schools can I find in Ohio")
- easy to use interface (based on the software that powers Wikipedia)

www.wingchunreference.org

OP
D

dabeer

White Belt
Reaction score
Can I post information about my sifu on this site or can I only post info concerning myself?

you can post information about anybody, what's more, you are strongly encouraged to do so - the more info the better. However you need to make sure that the information is true.

Any dubious entries can be discussed using the Discussion tab attached to each page, where you can argue the info provided on the page.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
you can post information about anybody, what's more, you are strongly encouraged to do so - the more info the better. However you need to make sure that the information is true.

Any dubious entries can be discussed using the Discussion tab attached to each page, where you can argue the info provided on the page.

The information would be true, and could be verified by going to my sifu's webpage. He is a well known sifu in the U.S.A. anyway, with several magazine articles written about him over the years.

Thanks.

OP
D

dabeer

White Belt
Reaction score
While you're there feel free to add info about your school/organization, the town where you train, the websites you know etc. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The information would be true, and could be verified by going to my sifu's webpage. He is a well known sifu in the U.S.A. anyway, with several magazine articles written about him over the years.

Thanks.

Go for it Zep. As we were discussing on the "Your WC/WT/VT is so stupid..." thread, the only thing is to keep it positive. Personally, I'd love to post more about the guys I train under now, except they prefer to stay out of the limelight. Anyway, I'm always interested to learn more about what other people do, who they train with, and so on.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . I'd love to post more about the guys I train under now, except they prefer to stay out of the limelight.

I've always wondered why some people are like that. It's hard enough as it is finding good quality instruction or students to train with you. If you're out in the open, un-affraid to be in known, you find, eventually, better quality students and most times become quality instructors and thus even more people to train with. Which is very important in this art, to help improve your skills and knowledge of this unique system.

Most times it goes back to that old belief that martial artists shouldn't collect money for teaching, that they should be humble, starving, unseen and invisible people and that they prostitute themselves for making a living at it. That's a bunch of hogwash. If you have a knowledge and or a skill, you should be compensated for teaching or passing it on. You should be proud of what you teach. Look at the Gracies and all the Brazilian Ju Jitsu systems that have become rich teaching BJJ. They don't mind being out in the open, charging you for training and fully expect you to pay for a quality education in BJJ.

You also pay for higher education, a college or university, and pay dearly. Martial arts is just advanced education, education in a private school. And everyone knows private schools are expensive.

Wing Chun's roots are that the system was to be shrouded in secrecy. But that was 350 years ago, in China. It needed to be. But today, we need to get away from that idea, especially if WC is to survive this onslaught of MMA and it's thinking where the martial artist is a jack of all trades, master of none.

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
Why not just incorporate the information from wingchunpedia into your site. They spent a lot of time gathing the information there.

OP
D

dabeer

White Belt
Reaction score
Sure it can be done, in fact you can incorporate information from any Wing Chun related website or book. Wingchunpedia, just like many other other WC sites, has a wealth of precious information and I'm sure with time it'll get transferred to Wing Chun Reference. However, it's not a task for a single person, so if you feel like helping, just go ahead and start transferring it.

Latest Discussions