Wing Chun ranking system proposal.

OP
M
Reaction score
One thing I must say is I appreciate your ability to take criticism. An aspect of someone applying wing chun philosophy's to their life.
Thanks SS. I love receiving feedback to see what others may think. The good and the not so good. Most of the CMA people I have encountered thus far on this forum have been straight forward, provided input and or feed back and for the most part, true professionals. I "eat the meat and spit out the bones" and don't take it personally unless some one makes it personal. I was once told, "If you don't want to know what I think, don't ask me." I have asked and I appreciate the feed back. And about "applying Wing Chun to my life.." it's more like applying my faith in life to my Wing Chun but thank you for the compliment and the post.

SamAbb

White Belt
Reaction score
The question posed by this thread is impossible. Wing Chun is a conceptual art that has many different interpretations and expressions.

Train hard. Introduce yourself by your experience in *years training* - simple.

OP
M
Reaction score
SamAb, Thanks for your input. We've implemented it in our school locally and it has had a real positive affect amongst the students. I thought it would have been more of a motivator for the younger group but surprisingly the adults have really stepped up their game. Is it the full-proof answer to all schools and situations? I think not however, it is a tool that is working and giving the students a little more pride in how they do what they do. We also implemented certificates with each promotion which have also been well received. I recently drafted a proposed certificate for when a person reaches "Sifu" level they'll receive a certification similar to that of a "1st Degree Black belt" in traditional styles but not a belt. This would allow a Wing Chun Sifu to teach on government/ military installations, college/universities and other venues where a written certification is a requirement to teach. Again, not for everyone but it's working for us. Thanks again for the input.~MAL1963
The question posed by this thread is impossible. Wing Chun is a conceptual art that has many different interpretations and expressions.

Train hard. Introduce yourself by your experience in *years training* - simple.

SamAbb

White Belt
Reaction score
Nice one. Is everyone aware though that there is no universal system in Wing Chun. Are they aware that the grades, ranks, titles and certs only mean something within your school only? Be careful of that. Make people aware of it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nice one. Is everyone aware though that there is no universal system in Wing Chun. Are they aware that the grades, ranks, titles and certs only mean something within your school only? Be careful of that. Make people aware of it.

Good evening SamAbb. Yes, the students within our school are aware that most other Wing Chun schools do not have ranks, certs etc. Thanks for your input and concern.

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Do you think that we need to have ranks and gradings to motivate people? That depends on the person. Some people are goal driven, others are not. I just think it will provide a clear progression within the style for those to follow. I know, and agree, that this is not for everyone. I just built it based upon what I saw and how I thought it might be used to help teach students and provide structure.

Wing Chun Kung Fu: To establish what defines Kung Fu ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kung_fu_(term)

The main goal of any individual in learning MA is to attain the highest skill level possible and the ultimate ability of effectively defend self and love ones. Having said that, if this is not enough of an motive, no amount of belts, strips, bells and whistles are going to have any meaningful impact. Accepting " it's good enough for me" only serves to short changing themselves and money unwisely spent ... but then, some are satisfied with just that level of accomplishment.

I "pass on" what I know freely. From the onset, my people are informed they ARE expected to put forth the time and efforts in and out of class, and if they are not at least reasonably progressing along with the rest, and yes the are fast learner, maybe this commitment is not for them ... meaning, find another baby sitter. JMHO

Latest Discussions