Ranking System Within Wing Chun

vincehardy3

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious...what is the ranking structure within Wing Chun? Is there a belt ranking system within Wing Chun that is equivalent (sp) to karate? If so, what are the ranks, and their karate belt equivalent (sp)? I'm asking because I see where people hold the title "6th Level Instructor"...what does that mean?

Thanks,

Vince

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen it, but I suspect it is a product of the individual school. I don't believe there is any established ranking structure that any group of wing chun people who did not study directly under the same teacher, would recognize.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
vincehardy3 said:
I'm curious...what is the ranking structure within Wing Chun? Is there a belt ranking system within Wing Chun that is equivalent (sp) to karate? If so, what are the ranks, and their karate belt equivalent (sp)? I'm asking because I see where people hold the title "6th Level Instructor"...what does that mean?

Thanks,

Vince

We have 6 levels of intructors in our school, and if its at all the same it just means they have been instructing for a while and can teach the whole system. Although the levels are little more than a guideline, i mean level 2 intructors just haven't been teaching as long. They probably wouldn't convey the aspects and nuances of the later forms so well and generally wouldn't be an instructor in that area.

While a few schools adopt ranking systems with coloured sashes usually, the majority of wing chun schools don't use ranking with too much emphasis. Perhaps a different coloured t-shirt to resemble what part of the sylabus you are studying is a more common form of ranking.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Loosely I would say there is no basis except time in, and even thats a tough one.
Some schools teach the material ( forms and such) in different order, in addition to the great variation in the forms. Also some schools try to teach alot more material in a shorter period of time than others.
So somebody who spent 3 years one place could be completely different from 3 years spent someplace else, with ALOT less consistency than you would see in karate.

barriecusvein

Green Belt
Reaction score
At our school there is no differentiating between most practitioners. Only the Sifu and highest level instructors have a white band on their top. They say you don't need a coloured belt to know how good someone is, you will find out when you touch arms with them.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
When i started in wing chun....my school had no belt or sash ranking system, it was introduded shortly after my sifu moved to a new gym and the students wanted a method of grading (sash)

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
There is no ranking system as such, Yip Man had no ranking system, and my Sifu has no ranking system, he just teaches and either you have the skill or you dont, however in the school we are setting up we will have a ranking system. I believe it is an effecient way of dealing with students in a school setting, where as if I was teaching privatly I wouldn't be concerned with a grading system.

D

Dazzla

My association has 6 gradings to get to black belt.

White
Yellow
Green
Blue
Red
Black

There then another 6 levels after that.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dazzla said:
My association has 6 gradings to get to black belt.

White
Yellow
Green
Blue
Red
Black

There then another 6 levels after that.

Out of interest what sort of things are focussed upon when you are at the black belt level?

D

Dazzla

ed-swckf said:
Out of interest what sort of things are focussed upon when you are at the black belt level?

I will find out for you. I know the dummy and weapons are not part of the first black but I know the first black covers all the hand forms.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dazzla said:
I will find out for you. I know the dummy and weapons are not part of the first black but I know the first black covers all the hand forms.

thank you for that.

J

Jan sing sang

Through history Wing Chun was taught to a small group of people (usually fammily and few students) so there was no need for a grading system. Universal grading still doesnt exist. As you different schools or lineages have different ways (if any) of grading.

Dazzla, aren't belts something that is connected only with Japanese martial arts and arts that have derived from them, or am I mistaken?

thanx,

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ive never heard of a ranking system but off the top of my head, i could create one....

belts 1-9
_____

1-3 = sil lim tao

4-6 = chum kiu

7-9 = biu tze

im not sure about karate colors but lets call it
white
yellow
orange
green
blue
purple
red
brown
black

so like, i believe once all 3 empty hand forms are learned, you are considered able to teach. wooden dummy, 6.5 pole, ect are other levels of "black belt" i believe.

D

Dazzla

Jan sing sang said:
Through history Wing Chun was taught to a small group of people (usually fammily and few students) so there was no need for a grading system. Universal grading still doesnt exist. As you different schools or lineages have different ways (if any) of grading.

Dazzla, aren't belts something that is connected only with Japanese martial arts and arts that have derived from them, or am I mistaken?

thanx,

Our ranking system is in line with the Southern UK Wing Chun Association which is affiliated with the Ip Man WCAA Hong Kong and the Ip Chun WC Academy. The ranking was developed with them. So who am I to argue.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dazzla said:
Our ranking system is in line with the Southern UK Wing Chun Association which is affiliated with the Ip Man WCAA Hong Kong and the Ip Chun WC Academy. The ranking was developed with them. So who am I to argue.

Pretty much anyone can be affiliated with the ving tsun athletic association and to be an instructor in that association isn't completely credible either. Same goes with the ip chun academy, if the ranking was devoloped with them then why don't all schools in the vtaa or ip chun academy tow the same line? And i am pretty sure none of ip chuns official 14 representitives worldwide follow the same belt system if they, many don't follow one, they do tend to work on a similar sylabus but thats about it.

I mean theres nothing wrong with you guys using a belt scheme if it works for you and i'm not belittling it in anyway. But i don't think you should qualify it in such a way, i mean neither certifications qualify it. And neither certifications are something that means you or anyone else shouldn't have a valid argument for or against it. I'm not making a personal attack i just think people should be very wary of putting to much weight in all the certification that floats around.

D

Dazzla

I am not agreeing or disagreeing, I am just saying I do not have the expertise or experience to argue with the way I am taught. I have just passed my yellow (2nd of 6 to 1st black belt) and it has taken taken me twelve months. It will take me another six months to pass my green. The jump in our org from green to blue is a large jump indeed and it takes most people about 18 months to bridge that jump. But at blue belt you are able to participate with instructing the beginners, and I would say I learnt just as much from the blue belts helping me out in classes as i did from the sifus. All blue belts are encouraged to still go to beginners lessons as they practice their basics all the time. And from what I have seen so far in my training f you master the basics you are very much on the way to being a very good wing chunist.

I feel in my org people who have not achieved a certain grading look for people who are a higher grading for advice and help. And I must say even though I am not that advanced I still really enjoy helping people who have just started, and also going to the advanced classes where I learn from my fellow students who are of a higher level.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dazzla - nothing wrong with your posts keep training its good to have a visible curriculum to gauge practice, even though after awhile everyone knows where they stand in time in and skill compared to everyone else.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Dazzla said:
I am not agreeing or disagreeing, I am just saying I do not have the expertise or experience to argue with the way I am taught.

But you are able to question what people tell you, and we aren't talking about how you are taught here, i'm sure from my understanding and experience of people from your org that your training is all very good stuff. But you can agree or disagree with their ranking system without much experience in wing chun.

Dazzla said:
I have just passed my yellow (2nd of 6 to 1st black belt) and it has taken taken me twelve months. It will take me another six months to pass my green. The jump in our org from green to blue is a large jump indeed and it takes most people about 18 months to bridge that jump.

Congratulations on your yellow, keep it up but i would say one thing in hope it is something you already know. Don't set yourself too much of a precise path, i mean sure going for your green is a goal but don't fixate just on that, take the time to learn your wing chun really well regardless of ranking.

Dazzla said:
But at blue belt you are able to participate with instructing the beginners, and I would say I learnt just as much from the blue belts helping me out in classes as i did from the sifus. All blue belts are encouraged to still go to beginners lessons as they practice their basics all the time. And from what I have seen so far in my training f you master the basics you are very much on the way to being a very good wing chunist.

Its also really good practice for the blue belts to get an experience of conveying their knowledge of wing chun to others. The basics are always of upmost importance, the first form is so important even though it doesn't look like much. You are absoloutely correct in making sure you concentrate on creating a solid understanding of the basics, it will indeed make a better artist in the end.

Dazzla said:
I feel in my org people who have not achieved a certain grading look for people who are a higher grading for advice and help. And I must say even though I am not that advanced I still really enjoy helping people who have just started, and also going to the advanced classes where I learn from my fellow students who are of a higher level.

I don't dispute that at all and i feel thats how it should be, its all about passing on the tradition. Good luck in all your training.

kaszodis

White Belt
Reaction score
The instuctors who don't believe in ranking...well, how did they get ranked to be instructors? If there was no sytem of ranking when they were training, how did they become sifus? I find it odd that an instructor is reluctant to give rank to deserving students. Are they perhaps afraid of possible contenders?

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
kaszodis said:
The instuctors who don't believe in ranking...well, how did they get ranked to be instructors? If there was no sytem of ranking when they were training, how did they become sifus? I find it odd that an instructor is reluctant to give rank to deserving students. Are they perhaps afraid of possible contenders?

Our ranking comes in our own ability.

Latest Discussions