Wing Chun in street fight

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I came across this video of a street fight today. Does this guy look like he was using wing chun?

actually I saw some comments that said this was a movie lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

coffeerox

Green Belt
Reaction score
I came across this video of a street fight today. Does this guy look like he was using wing chun?

Yes it does. He shouldn't have let him bear hug him though. In my opinion, I would have been gone after the kick but for some reason 'chunners' like to counter attack. He had the advantage but I don't know why he wasn't continuing the chain punching once that attack passed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Tanaka

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes it does. He shouldn't have let him bear hug him though. In my opinion, I would have been gone after the kick but for some reason 'chunners' like to counter attack. He had the advantage but I don't know why he wasn't continuing the chain punching once that attack passed.

Well I'm not sure about my question anymore since some people are saying it's a movie.
It's a movie then I'm sure it's choreographed, but for a movie it sure looked pretty real.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . .I would have been gone after the kick but for some reason 'chunners' like to counter attack. He had the advantage but I don't know why he wasn't continuing the chain punching once that attack passed.

Because counter attack is one of the main concepts of Wing Chun. By initiating the attack first, you give your opponent the opportunity to intercept you and strike you first. Even Bruce Lee understood that. Basic precept, punch last, hit first. But if you wait until they punch, commit to the attack, you can counter and hit them first without risking them changing their attack.

I agree with you, he should have continued by doing some battle punching until his opponent was down. He was probably using the kick to prevent the guy from just jumping in or bridging the gap too soon.

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a choreographed movie. Notice how nobody is blocking the open area between the camera and the "fight"? How many barfights have you seen where this happens. It's as real as John Cena vs The Undertaker! LOL

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wonder what movie thats from, anyone?

Re:counter attacking I personally dont agree with that, I see the logic, and to an extent I agree. Counter attacks are tactically sound, and in theory are good, but from my experience its hard to simply evade an attack on the street and then counter attack. I prefer the "**** im in a bad situation, this guy is gunna hit me, im gunna chain punch his face as hard and fast as I can" technique ;) The best defense is a good offense as they say, I am never gunna wait for a guy to attack, what if hes a lightweight boxing champ and can jab before you can blink? Often an attack will happen suddenly and without forewarning, I would personally prefer to keep someone outside of my comfort zone, and when they enter it strike...as opposed to relying on being able to read his telegraphed movements and strike before him.

"By initiating the attack first, you give your opponent the opportunity to intercept you and strike you first"

...or you knock him out immediately before he can even get a chance to attack?

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
i,m with you on this one bloodmoney...
we are taught if the situation is getting critical and you know its about to kick off.....hit first!
thats why sifu has our hands in a defensive "i dont want any trouble" pose the minute my guard is touched.... bam!
just my tuppence
it looks choreographed but cool clip!
matsu

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Often an attack will happen suddenly and without forewarning

Agreed they do but I have a neat little trick for keeping me in my comfort zone when someone is getting verbally agressive.

My sifu pointed it out to me that if someone is being agressive in any other manner than physical then I have a goatee beard and I should use it to my advantage.

I just need to sort of cross my arms and with my right arm I just start stroking my beard like Im listening to him but that I couldnt care a less.

He may see I dont care and walk away or if he does attack my hand that is stroking my beard is in the perfect position to Lap Sau his attack and hit first.

Explains why the stereotypical Kung Fu master would have a long white beard lol.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
lol mate
sifu always has his arms folded... but in a certain way that allows him to do exactly what you hae described.
so youre going for the zz top look from now on yeah ?
wish i had the patience i get to 2 weeks max and its gotta go, itchy and drives me nuts!
matsu

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mines more of a soul patch on my chin lol but its there and thats what matters. Stops my looking like im just rubbing my chin for no reason :)

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What you guys are talking about is just different variations of the fence. Geoff Thompson has wrote some good stuff on the subject.
he also talks about asking your would be attacker an irrelevant question a split second before hitting them with a preemptive strike. their brain will automatically start to engage the question, giving you a split second window of opportunity.
I worked as a doorman at busy nightclub and a couple of city centre pubs in my home town of Hull in the north of England for a short period (about a year, maybe a year and a half) and I would definitely say a good fence is a must.Saved me from eating glass or sovereign rings a couple of times lol.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
just had 2 of mr thompsons books arrived over the weekend. will be an unsociable herbert this week lol with me nose in a book.
matsu

dosk3n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can you name some of these books as I think I may go shopping when I get paid.

Getting that Wing Chun Warrior book also.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does look staged. Its good stage work though.

I personally like counter-fighting. It just suits me better. It has also kept me out of trouble.

Mr Police Officer: "Who started the fight?"
Witnesses: Pointing at the guy that is not me "He did!"
Me: doesn't have to sit in the back of a squad car

I'm not saying every situation you should wait for the attack. Just saying that I prefer to if it is unarned. Someone pulls a weapon, then waiting is not a good idea.

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
type in geoff thompson in amazon mate....

watch my back is his autobiogra[hy
and dead or alive is the self defence book. its not a steb by step guide. it has lot of mental aspects to the topic. very in depth.

i hope ill b able to use the counter attack more as i get better at reacting rather than reading. i often get caught in sparring as i,m trying to almost guess his move.
oops
matsu

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think whoever directed this camera work did a great job. that so many people thought it was a real fight says something.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
thats why sifu has our hands in a defensive "i dont want any trouble" pose the minute my guard is touched.... bam!

hahah we do the exact same, exactly. Some may call it "cheap" and my answer is yup, I definitely put in cheap shots. I want to win not get an honor badge, I dont see a ref and no ones paying me to take this fight, its only ever gunna be some dickhead accosting me on the street as I am a passive person so yeah, hit first...and second, and forth and fifth....

Agreed they do but I have a neat little trick for keeping me in my comfort zone when someone is getting verbally agressive.
*snip*

hahah love it!

Same with asking them a question and then attacking...absolutely love that **** lol! Derrin Brown mixed with Bruce Lee ;)

Mr Police Officer: "Who started the fight?"
Witnesses: Pointing at the guy that is not me "He did!"
Me: doesn't have to sit in the back of a squad car

Fair call.

Mine would go more like this:

Police Officer: I wonder who knocked this young street thug out?
*looks around the empty street*
Witness: Some guy that ran off that way
Me: *long gone*

Seriously, I know it sounds bad but ive seen bouncers get arrested for fighting off multiple attackers, friends go to jail for defending themselves against weapon attacks etc...I aint sticking round for the law, I dont respect them enough in my country to actually think theyll see the situation for it is. Ive had it before, guy is KO'd, im fine without a scratch, I must have been the aggressor. Pfft. Its harsh but I tell my students the same, dont be there when the law shows up.

Rion

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hahah we do the exact same, exactly. Some may call it "cheap" and my answer is yup, I definitely put in cheap shots. I want to win not get an honor badge, I dont see a ref and no ones paying me to take this fight, its only ever gunna be some dickhead accosting me on the street as I am a passive person so yeah, hit first...and second, and forth and fifth....

hahah love it!

Same with asking them a question and then attacking...absolutely love that **** lol! Derrin Brown mixed with Bruce Lee ;)

Fair call.

Mine would go more like this:

Police Officer: I wonder who knocked this young street thug out?
*looks around the empty street*
Witness: Some guy that ran off that way
Me: *long gone*

Seriously, I know it sounds bad but ive seen bouncers get arrested for fighting off multiple attackers, friends go to jail for defending themselves against weapon attacks etc...I aint sticking round for the law, I dont respect them enough in my country to actually think theyll see the situation for it is. Ive had it before, guy is KO'd, im fine without a scratch, I must have been the aggressor. Pfft. Its harsh but I tell my students the same, dont be there when the law shows up.

Can't agree anymore, in the UK it's even worse you hurt someone breaking into your house and your the one going to jail.

So do what you have to do and move along.

Latest Discussions