Wing Chun Boxing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Are you trying to miss the point, or what?

Who mixed martial arts they didn't understand?

Everybody.

Everyone just went out their with their own good ideas. Some worked some didn't. That is how you understand a martial art.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not fully. Everyone had to go back to the drawing board to make their system functional.

That doesn't mean no one understood even a single MA they trained! :facepalm:

When cross-training, people actually went to learn legit BJJ and worked it into styles they already understood.

That is entirely unlike making modifications, just based on what you've seen others do, to an already fragmented understanding of a base-style.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't say charging in with chain punches.

If someone wants to hit you, they will advance and throw serious punches.
They will not present one punch and let you do three things to it.

Didn't say charging in. Only a fool will run past you when you "step off the line".

Where was there a jab, cross, hook? What are you talking about?

You did a step back raising bong-sau, then step forward with laap-da, and a body punch.

Unrealistic. Not comparable in the least to jab, cross, hook.

Your replies are just argumentative non-sense and don't deserve a reply. Please go elsewhere.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your replies are just argumentative non-sense and don't deserve a reply.

Ha!

You said I don't think "jab, cross, hook" is a practical combination when we're talking about your multi-step combo that involved none of the above.

Talk about argumentative nonsense!

Please go elsewhere.

You wound up here instead of KPMartialtalk.com again!

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha!

You said I don't think "jab, cross, hook" is a practical combination when we're talking about your multi-step combo that involved none of the above.

Talk about argumentative nonsense!

You wound up here instead of KPMartialtalk.com again!

Your credibility is continuing to suffer with your argumentative non-sense posts. If you can't see a "jab" in a fast back-hand blow, a "cross" in a rear-hand punch to the solar plexus and a "hook" in a shovel-hook to the ribs.....then I don't know what else to tell you. You are as clueless about real fighting as you think I am about Wing Chun. ;)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you can't see a "jab" in a fast back-hand blow, a "cross" in a rear-hand punch to the solar plexus and a "hook" in a shovel-hook to the ribs.....

Yeah, not the same at all, and that was not your combo.

You stepped straight back and used bong-wu as a "don't hit me" shield, then pulled the arm that was posed for you, dropping a backfist toward the nose that was blocked, and gave an unchallenged punch to the gut.

You're telling me that's the same technically or conceptually as jab, cross, hook?

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, not the same at all, and that was not your combo.

You stepped straight back and used bong-wu as a "don't hit me" shield, then pulled the arm that was posed for you, dropping a backfist toward the nose that was blocked, and gave an unchallenged punch to the gut.

You're telling me that's the same technically or conceptually as jab, cross, hook?

:rolleyes: Clearly you didn't even bother to watch the whole video lesson. :confused:

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
:rolleyes: Clearly you didn't even bother to watch the whole video lesson. :confused:

I did.

In your "application" version, you did the same combo as I just described, but added another unchallenged punch to the other side.

That's even more impractical coming off your unrealistic setup.
You will not get past the step back bong-wu "don't hit me" shield.

Even if you do, the rest of your mutli-step follow ups are not going to go unchallenged.

Jab, cross, hook can certainly work, but not this convoluted "Wing Chun Boxing" application.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That doesn't mean no one understood even a single MA they trained! :facepalm:

When cross-training, people actually went to learn legit BJJ and worked it into styles they already understood.

That is entirely unlike making modifications, just based on what you've seen others do, to an already fragmented understanding of a base-style.

I would definitely suggest KPM goes and learns boxing if he is integrating it. He already understands wing chun. Not sure what you are arguing here.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As would I.

How do you know?

Good point. we have moved back to functional. And there is pretty much no way to tell with WC or VT. As there is no good platform to test function.

On the plus side you can test boxing function. So there is at least part of an answer there.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good point. we have moved back to functional. And there is pretty much no way to tell with WC or VT. As there is no good platform to test function.

Of course there is. You have just chosen to ignore it and run your mouth instead.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course there is. You have just chosen to ignore it and run your mouth instead.

Was that when you just said it was so?

Well we can subject kpm to the same intense scrutiny.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Was that when you just said it was so?

No. The annual open-style tournament that has been hosted and competed in by a VT group in Germany for several years now was just posted about. Alan Orr has also been putting his WC guys into MMA cages/rings for years.

Plenty of people test WC/VT in the sport fighting arena, if that's what you want. It could do with more, but you just seem more interested in ignoring those who do and running your mouth about "lack of evidence" instead, which I think is a clear form of dishonest style-bashing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. The annual open-style tournament that has been hosted and competed in by a VT group in Germany for several years now was just posted about. Alan Orr has also been putting his WC guys into MMA cages/rings for years.

Plenty of people test WC/VT in the sport fighting arena, if that's what you want. It could do with more, but you just seem more interested in ignoring those who do and running your mouth about "lack of evidence" instead, which I think is a clear form of dishonest style-bashing.

So we know one style of wing chun is functional. and lets put this open tournament at a mabye as I know nothing about it.

And does alan orr cross-train in boxing?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So we know one style of wing chun is functional. and lets put this open tournament at a mabye as I know nothing about it.

You should stop saying "we" when you really mean "I", and when you've never bothered to look.

And does alan orr cross-train in boxing?

I think he's gone to lengths to try showing how his WC is not WB.

Latest Discussions