Wing Chun against Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If Wing Chun doesn't have a defense for BBJ, it's about time to start developing one.
Why? What about WC makes it imperative that they can defend specifically against BJJ?

I have a different mindset when walking the streets. It is to bring a gun or a knife. Martial arts is a secondary. But there are too many factors when it comes to street brawls. But the idea that learning martial arts for the purpose of self-defense is absurd. There should be more to martial arts that just self defense. But I am not after self defense.
What if you cant get out your knife or gun in time?
Why is learning it for self-defense absurd?
What are you after? Fitness, competition, or something else?

I am after WC developing it's own defense and offense against BJJ, and I want to throw this idea out there to a person who is able to practice with a BJJ practitioner. Why should WC do that in the first place? I do it for the satisfaction of knowing that WC would feel a little more advance than it's predecessor, achieving a more evolved state. You should feel the need for any kind of improvement instead of deeming it as a futile task.
From another perspective, you are interested in turning WC from something that focuses on very specific things, into a 'jack of all trades master of none' style. If you do it badly, you may also put it in a 'devolved' state..the notion that arts improve linearly is not necessarily correct.It is most likely a job for your sifu's sifu to decide whether or not to 'evolve' WC, not your job.

All I want to know is your thoughts about WC against BJJ.
If they are starting standing up...whoever is the better practitioner at their given art. If they for some reason start on the ground, most likely the BJJ practitioner.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I know nothing about about WC since I've been training and studying WC for a only few months now, and I'm only applying what I've currently learned about WC. I also feel as if 3-4 years of WC is not close enough to be termed as an expert.

Still puzzled, you are a complete beginner which is fine but surely you need to ask your instructor these questions. You've not even got past the very very basics of your style yet so you have no idea whether it's got defences against BJJ or anything else, I think you may have got a little ahead of yourself in your enthusiasm, not a bad thing but I think you need to be a be more patient and learn what WC can give you before thinking it has to change. :)

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... but I think you need to be a be more patient and learn what WC can give you before thinking it has to change. :)
Yes. In order to think that something has to change from state A to state B, or at least from state A to state not-A, we have to know what state A is first.

OP
WingChunEnthusiast

WingChunEnthusiast

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, I went ahead of my self by thinking I can change WC overnight when I am suppose to continue practicing basics, which are fundamental. I still need to practice SLT and other forms, as suggested in later posts of this forum.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a different mindset when walking the streets. It is to bring a gun or a knife. Martial arts is a secondary. But there are too many factors when it comes to street brawls. But the idea that learning martial arts for the purpose of self-defense is absurd. There should be more to martial arts that just self defense. But I am not after self defense.

Welcome to Martialtalk, bro, hope you enjoy it here. Love your avatar by the way, I'm a dog guy myself.

I think "absurd" might be too strong a word for the above. And, yeah, there's more to Martial Arts than any one concept.

I don't understand why you're not after self defense. Why would you care about how Wing Chun applies to BJJ?

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If Wing Chun doesn't have a defense for BBJ, it's about time to start developing one.

Wing Chun and BJJ have very different strategies and methods. Wing Chun is primarily a striking art used for standup fighting and defense. BJJ's strategy is to put you on the ground, achieve a position of control, and then apply a submission hold (if you don't submit, something will get broken) or choke you out.

Both arts have some overlap with the other, but very little IMO. I learned some WC groundfighting before I took up BJJ, but its purpose was to keep the opponent away, knock him over as well, or incapacitate him long enough to regain your feet. No real concept of continuing or finishing a fight with both of you on the ground.

The concept of trying to adapt an art primarily designed for standup striking to defend against a grappling art is inherently flawed. Grapplers will always develop better defences to grappling attacks, because they understand the attacks better and are dealing with them ALL the time (all the time in the gym, anyway). There may be a very few exceptions to this, which I have yet to see, but the probabilities are overwhelmingly against this.

Wing Chun's forte is in a medium to close range striking distance, where chi sao is usually practiced. Grapplers prefer to work from a clinch range where there is little or no space between you. There are some exceptions to these "rules", but I think they hold up on a macro level.

A decent grappler can position his body in the clinch so that striking him effectively is very difficult. A Wing Chun guy or other striking purist will need to stop him before he can get in close. Your window of opportunity is not wide, especially if the grappler has half decent striking defence. If he can eat up the space between you and get a decent upper body or leg control on you, if you have no grappling experience he is almost certainly going to take you down.

Once you are there, if you have no groundfighting experience you will be in trouble. BJJ knows all the usual reactions of people in such situations, including strikes, eye gouges, throat and testicle grabs, etc. and has counters to them. You normally pick these up in the first few months of BJJ. If you haven't done any ground grappling, you will have little idea of what movements are safe or unsafe in a particular position, and you are going to lose. And most neophytes cant distinguish the mount from the guard - well maybe watching UFC videos, but not while on the ground wrestling with someone trying to submit them.

Being controlled on the bottom on the ground is NOT a good place to escalate a grappling situation into a fist fight or maiming contest. The other guy is in a MUCH better position to hit, claw, eye gouge, fishhook, etc. There is no law that says grapplers can't hit you or that they can't learn to hit you competently.

I started Wing Chun in 1989 and became an instructor. My instructor and I both took up BJJ in 1998 while continuing to practise Wing Chun. I was awarded a black belt in BJJ in 2013. One of Jim Fung's WC inheritors, Dave O'Donnell, got his black belt on the same night at the same club.

I guess you can figure out my take on the best way to learn to deal with grapplers.

Last edited:

anerlich

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I disagree. Many, perhaps most, self defense situations outside a war zone do not legally justify you producing or using weapons.

If you pull out a knife or a gun on someone who is arguing with you or pushing you in a nightclub line, someone yelling at your kid, etc. you are pretty much straight into excessive force from a legal perspective. Arguably, you have then made it justifiable for the other person to pull out their own lethal weapon. Congratulations on turning a potential fist fight into a knife or gun fight.

If the cops get involved, even if you don't use the weapon, you'll almost certainly be arrested and probably spend at best a short time in the lockup. You'll probably have to attend court as well. Worst case, and you have to use the weapon, you might be going to jail for quite a while. Or to the hospital or an early grave.

I'm not saying that carrying a weapon and learning to use it effectively should a situation justify it (and the law in your jurisdiction permit it) isn't a good option. But I wouldn't want it as my only option. There is a spectrum of justifiable levels of violence related to self defence. You might disagree. Tell it to the judge.

It isn't quite clear exactly what you are after, if not self defense against a BJJ fighter.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm new here, so I apologize if I come across like a jerk, but I am surprised to see that this conversation is still being had. We are now 23 years following UFC 1, and this has been proven many times over.

If all one is interested in Martial Arts for is self development, fitness, etc. then this is less of an issue. However, if one is interested in martial arts for the purpose of self-defense, and they do not compute the ground, striking, and weapons, then I believe they are deluding themselves. MMA is incredibly popular, and the average fan can pick up a few chokes, an armbar, and can figure out the basics of mount, guard, and the ground and pound game without too much trouble. If they are willing to practice a bit with each other, then can develop them enough to be a threat to someone with no ground game at all.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do people think criminals spend time training in martial arts? They don’t "fight", in fact a "fight" is the last thing they want, as such becoming an "all round martial artist" is not necessary for dealing with career criminals. In The Complete Book Of Urban Combatives, Lee Morrison says "The physical side of the equation is pretty simple: just develop two or three effective strikes that can be executed hard and that work well."

You only need to become an "all round martial artist" for the purposes of self defence if you a) are martial artist who wronly assumes you will be gettign into street "fights" with other skilled & trained martial artsist, or or b) you do not understand the realities of criminal violence, or the "rituals of violent" used by professional criminals.

You are correct in that trained martial artists are rarely go around looking for fights, but career criminals fight all the time. A huge part of the gang culture is fighting, and most gang-bangers in their late teens will have had many real fights. Your idiot punk out looking to rob someone of their wallet might not, but plenty of others will, to include "former high school wrestler guy", who knows enough of the ground to make your life miserable if he chooses to do so.

As for the rest, I agree to a point with Mr. Morrison. Good fundamentals will take you a long way. I would expand his recommendations to include 1's and 2's with a weapon, basic knife defense, a couple of solid chokes, a couple of solid arm locks, how to pull guard, and how to keep from getting head smashed in if someone gets a mount position on you. Of course, I would want to know much more than that, but those things would be my bare minimum.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is s drill for you. It involves three people.

One hold the pads. One hits the pads and one does takedowns.

So you do about three minutes of striking as hard as you can while that third person randomly shoots for a double legleg. Then you just contest that until you have separated or been taken down.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are correct in that trained martial artists are rarely go around looking for fights, but career criminals fight all the time. A huge part of the gang culture is fighting, and most gang-bangers in their late teens will have had many real fights. Your idiot punk out looking to rob someone of their wallet might not, but plenty of others will, to include "former high school wrestler guy", who knows enough of the ground to make your life miserable if he chooses to do so.
True, but career criminals generally don't invest 10 years of their life getting good at BJJ, and the thread is about WC needing to have a defence against BJJ.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
True, but career criminals generally don't invest 10 years of their life getting good at BJJ, and the thread is about WC needing to have a defence against BJJ.

That is not what I was responding to. I was responding to your claim that the last thing career criminals want is a fight, and therefore there is little need to become an all-around martial artist for the purpose of self-defense. I believe that statement is false, and I responded in kind.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah, but depending on where you live, you do have a large population of 18-35 year old males who love wrestling (fake and real), football, and MMA, and practice at least one of those sports in their formative years. Those males can easily fall off the track and attack people. Further, you have access to numerous grappling techniques on youtube that are fairly easy to pick up by anyone with a bit of grappling experience, aggression, and free time. A 20 year old who took wrestling in secondary school can pick up a takedown, to mount, to ground & pound, to rear naked choke with little trouble.

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, but depending on where you live, you do have a large population of 18-35 year old males who love wrestling (fake and real), football, and MMA, and practice at least one of those sports in their formative years. Those males can easily fall off the track and attack people. Further, you have access to numerous grappling techniques on youtube that are fairly easy to pick up by anyone with a bit of grappling experience, aggression, and free time. A 20 year old who took wrestling in secondary school can pick up a takedown, to mount, to ground & pound, to rear naked choke with little trouble.

Exactly right.

OP
WingChunEnthusiast

WingChunEnthusiast

White Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I came to this website. I know now that I am wrong to be making arguments like "BJJ vs Wing Chun" without understanding the basics and fundamentals of WC. This thread was a mistake from the very beginning because I didn't learn enough about WC. I now have slightly better questions to ask about WC since time has passed.

Despite having to make this thread by mistake, I have took into consideration on what you've guys have been telling me, and for that I thank you all.

I am also still perfecting Sil Lim Tao.