Will pulling your punches lead to bad habits?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
My understanding of the OP's concern is this: How you train is how you will fight. I think your analysis is an excellent summary of how any art trains for combat or defense without using up training partners.

I think a punch can be pulled with or without hitting the target. During self-defense drills and other practice, I try really hard not to hit someone in the face or head -- never the neck -- especially since pads are not being worn. Shots to the body are another matter. Depending upon the experience and fitness of the participants, I think a certain amount of contact is to be expected.

Now, when sparring with pads, I'm still holding back on head shots, but there will be contact from time to time because it's free form, because people are trying seize the advantage, etc. Again, I'm less worried about hitting or getting hit in the body because I figure I'm supposed to be able to take some hits now and then.

Whatever I'm doing, I always feel like crap if I hit someone too hard. Hitting a lower belt, or especially a beginner, too hard is the worst feeling in the world for me.

As you suggest, control is always being taught and practised. Ideally, that sense of control, even when confronted with real violence, will serve the practitioner.

Hello, Remember if you are training NOT to hit the neck,head, or trying not to hit really hard? This will become a part of your unconcious mind.

When you get into a real fight? These thoughts will come up in these fights....than you will find yourself fighting against these feelings.

When the time comes for you to fight back? .....then you will know truths of the way you train.

Always prepare you mind for the real thing! ...Aloha

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Most of us do not practice for actully full on fighing. Like it is for real. Full contact at every practice.

In a all out, go for broke style of training. Full intense....striking almost for real, at prime tarkets. This is where your real style of skills will come out. Most of it will be "the way you train" is how you will fight back.

Take sparring? Do fights end up like a sparing match? Maybe a few, most are all out, anything goes style of fighting, NO rules either!

If I was going to war? this is how I would like to train. When you go into a boxing ring just to box (full on). ....you will under stand "the way you train" is the "way you will fight!"

Today full contact is NOT consider a good way to keep students....Aloha