why the us team will never be as good as others..

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We do not get together for training camps. We do not rotate head/assistant coaches enough. There is no residency program at otc for tkd athletes.
Other reasons???
The other national teams are wiping the floor with us at the us open. A shame that our athletes are not given the opportunity to gather as a team for training and technique/strategy sharing.

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps the other countries national teams are beating us at the US Open is because our national team IS NOT AT THE US OPEN! So USA is fielding all of it's 2nd - 15th rate players.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do not get together for training camps. We do not rotate head/assistant coaches enough. There is no residency program at otc for tkd athletes.
Other reasons???
The other national teams are wiping the floor with us at the us open. A shame that our athletes are not given the opportunity to gather as a team for training and technique/strategy sharing.
Not sure about the rest of the country but here in Nor Cal (Northern California) and to some degree So Cal as well, I have seen many schools train with one another.

Last month we had Master Singer come to our school with a few of his students, including Kiana Lo (just won gold at US Open girls jr. welterweight) and he gave a great training session.

We have also done them with Master Givans, and Master Cruz as well. Jason Alverz (sorry spelling), TJ Curry, Phillip Yun and others have rotated dojangs, open for competitors to train with one antoher all the time.

There is a Nor-Cal training session coming up right after the US Open and before qualifiers.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All I will say is our governing body USAT does not help in the developement of our athletes like other countries. We wait and see who emerges and then put all of our eggs in that single package. Major counries have special training and bring in there best to help develope there future hopefuls.

America is the land of everything including greed, simply those in charge only want what they can make off of someone and not invest in the future of the sport.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely Terry! From all account there does appear to be a lot of greed and money grabbing going on!
icon8.gif

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems to me a team consists of athletes, coaches, and organizational support. Our team selection process makes you earn your way on annually. Coaches should be the same way. Those coaches who are permanent staff don't have to add value and prove themselves every year. What incentive is there for them to train and coach our athletes at events like this? Look at any college or professional support: produce results or hit the road. Performance at events like this should be a requirement of not just national team members but COACHES TOO. How else will you know if they're improving athletes?

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had a student who came from the philippines. He won a tournament and received a 2 year college scolorship. That's the type of incentive we need to getour athletes up to par.
Bty, why is our national team not there? It is the us open after all. Sounds like usat is being cheap if you ask me.

Latest Discussions