why the Lone Ranger flopped...

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
True Grit and Django Unchained were successful westerns...The Lone Ranger flopped...this article looks at the reason why...

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/08/23/Where-Have-All-the-Cowboys-Gone

I didn't hate The Lone Ranger as much as other people. In fact, I enjoyed it. Never, though, did I think it was a true western. It was a film that was trying far too hard to appeal to the biggest audience possible. It was goofy, strangely dark in places and it attempted to be deep on some level by shifting the focus to Johnny Depp's Tonto. The last thing the film did, however, was try to be a western. Never did we get the sense of the individual above all else in the flick. The movie could never even decide who the main character was or what the exact motivation for each character really was. We also didn't get any sense of old school grit or overall values when it came to freedom or anything else examined by most westerns. The Disney flick kinda just made us want to smile and not much more.
Our hero, John Reid, walks around in the beginning of the film spouting early theories about government and eventually learns that a gun is sometimes the right way even when the law doesn't approve. It's a cool theme for a western to examine, but Lone Ranger glided right over it. That was something Grit and Django didn't do. The first brought us an anti-hero that fought for real values and justice and an innocent and strong little girl. He was a drunk that still believed in something. The latter film brought us a character fighting for freedom above all else. It was a spaghetti western celebration of the individual's right and right to fight for that right.

The other two were true blue westerns while Ranger was just trying to fill seats by showing us cool stunts and throwing green paper at the screen.
Real westerns are hard to manipulate into mass appealing Disney certified fast food entertainment. Old John Wayne westerns celebrated heroes and real American values while old Clint Eastwood westerns celebrated the individualist mentality. It's all very American, very cool and very fun to watch. Lone Ranger didn't get it unfortunately. It cost too much and tried to be too innocent in its nature which is unfortunate for the overall genre because Ranger was seen as the film that could invigorate the genre thanks in large part to its big names, giant studio backing and huge advertising push.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But, bill, what's your opinion? Why do YOU think that the movie was a flop?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought True Grit was awesome....

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet. The trailers made it seem cheesy. Will probably catch it later on Netflix.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet, but when I do I'll let you know if it was any good. I thought the article was a nice look at westerns and what may make them enjoyable to people. I saw Django, and True Grit, and was surprised at how good the two were. That it was a flop isn't a secret, it was a huge flop. The fact that Hell on Wheels and The Hatfields and McCoys is successful shows that they can be successful even if The Lone Ranger wasn't.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a couple reasons I won't pay to watch this:
I'm not that impressed with Johnny Depp, or the stupid bird on his head.
Without looking it up, can you tell me who played the Lone Ranger? He is, after all the title character...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw Django, and True Grit, and was surprised at how good the two were.

I expected Django to be good (and it was--incredible performances by several actors) but was wary of True Grit. However, it definitely worked.

But of all the relatively modern Westerns, Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven stands alone. Absolutely classic.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Without looking it up, can you tell me who played the Lone Ranger? He is, after all the title character...

His main claim to fame was playing the heads of both Winklevoss twins and the body of one in the Facebook movie. I was surprised he got the lead here. A bigger name than "Armie Hammer" might've helped.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
His main claim to fame was playing the heads of both Winklevoss twins and the body of one in the Facebook movie. I was surprised he got the lead here. A bigger name than "Armie Hammer" might've helped.

Lead? You mean side kick to side kick?

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But of all the relatively modern Westerns, Clint Eastwood in Unforgiven stands alone. Absolutely classic.

Yeah, the final scene in the bar was great...It was probably one of my favorite westerns...just surpassing The Outlaw Josey Wales...obviously Clint Eastwood really understands westerns so perhaps they should have asked him to do the Lone Ranger.

It was funny when they had the trailer out...I had no idea who Armie Hammer was...so it seemed like a bad sign for such a big movie. The lead was already outclassed by Johhny Depp...I hope it is better than the critics...and the public said it was...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, the final scene in the bar was great...It was probably one of my favorite westerns...just surpassing The Outlaw Josey Wales...obviously Clint Eastwood really understands westerns so perhaps they should have asked him to do the Lone Ranger.

It was funny when they had the trailer out...I had no idea who Armie Hammer was...so it seemed like a bad sign for such a big movie. The lead was already outclassed by Johhny Depp...I hope it is better than the critics...and the public said it was...

Eastwood is nearly 80....although he is to Westerns what Chuck Norris is to the rest of the world, I don't think he would be believable riding through a train...not to mention the Lone Ranger never killed anybody....Eastwood's punks never were that lucky!

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score

He would have made a great consultant for this film.

Latest Discussions