Why Some Countries Can Be Ill-Thought Of

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think this goes to show that there are indeed stupid people in this world and lots of them. All of the political correctness and multiculturalism in the world is not going to change that. Middle eastern women are still being indicted for witchcraft and Texas still has laws on the books that say you can only hold certain government positions if you are a christian. I am not even going to get into president bush telling us how god talked to him and how he is going to wage a crusade against the "enemies of freedom". The bad part is most christians and muslims are decent people who just want to get on with their lives. Sadly, it is the nutjobs who mess it all up for everybody. This is what happens when the stupid people are allowed to hold prominent positions within humanity's most prized institutions.

well put! i didnt know about the texas "jesus jobs" or bush talking to "god" (wonder if he was smoking anything with Clinton when this happened)

"The bad part is most christians and muslims are decent people who just want to get on with their lives." :asian:

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
well put! i didnt know about the texas "jesus jobs"
As far as I know, the last religious test for office was removed from the books in Texas decades ago (I remember when it was on the news, so it was within my lifetime)

or bush talking to "god"
When asked about his decision to go to war with Iraq, Bush said that he had evaluated the evidence, consulted with his advisors and our allies, and prayed about it. His intent was to communicate that this was a serious decision, not taken lightly, and made with only the gravest consideration of all the ramifications. (And that is what it communicated to others like me, who take matters of faith seriously in daily life). Certain elements ran with the 'prayed about it' part. I have even seen it drastically distorted in media soundbites and on bumper stickers, to the point of saying that 'God told him' to invade Iraq. As far as I know, he never said or implied any such thing.

Be careful of buying soundbites that bolster stereotypes already held.

"The bad part is most christians and muslims are decent people who just want to get on with their lives." :asian:
I believe this to be true also.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, the last religious test for office was removed from the books in Texas decades ago (I remember when it was on the news, so it was within my lifetime)

I didnt see how it could be that certain religious beliefs could legally be a prerequisite to get any job, let alone government positions. Its not usually like me to just accept what im told, thank you for reminding me to stay alert!

When asked about his decision to go to war with Iraq, Bush said that he had evaluated the evidence, consulted with his advisors and our allies, and prayed about it. His intent was to communicate that this was a serious decision, not taken lightly, and made with only the gravest consideration of all the ramifications. (And that is what it communicated to others like me, who take matters of faith seriously in daily life). Certain elements ran with the 'prayed about it' part. I have even seen it drastically distorted in media soundbites and on bumper stickers, to the point of saying that 'God told him' to invade Iraq. As far as I know, he never said or implied any such thing.

Be careful of buying soundbites that bolster stereotypes already held.

I believe this to be true also.

This DOES sound like the media to me, and i agree that its unlikely Bush ever said anything of the like. it seems politicians in general avoid making any religious statements like this.
it would appear that my pleasure in questioning the government overruled my habit of questioning what im told. again thank you

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bringing this topic up a bit.
Evolution is a nice thing. Humanity can't really decide to work AGAINST it or FOR it.
If we choose to work for it, stop curing diseases, start heavy research on genetic engineering, start destroying-eliminating any other culture than your own while sparing yours; this goes for all sides.
If we want to work against it... again, start heavy research on genetic engineering, cure all possible diseases, work out diplomatic solutions for problems, ensure equal rights for everyone and so on.
Both ways will end in world peace (how could you see the difference between living in a monocultural global monostate and living in a multicultural global alliance?), but only if the ways don't interfere. When they do... we have this. Some choose way1, some choose way2, and some choose both.
About beliefs: if you believe in God, then you believe in Satan as well. If you believe in the miracles done by Jesus and the saints, then you believe in the magic witches and wizards do or did. This is true for every religion, and not only for supernatural elements. I have only met a few people who knew what they believe in, and followed their religion. Not only parts of it, the whole. Some used to accurse Islam for the "martyrs go to heaven" part... but the same is present in Christianity as well. Martyrs fallen for God go to heaven, just as those who built God's empire. Hungarian saint Stephan (our first Christian king) was rather close to a mass-murderer, made ethnic cleansings, killed a few of his relatives, yet - he is a saint, accepted by both Catholics and Orthodoxes. This is not necessarily a bad thing - the bad thing is when people take things out of context to prove their points.
I didn't mean to hurt anyone's personal opinions or belief, if any part of my post came across as such, my apologies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my daughter was living in Dubai she said the rulers were very pleased with themselves there because they had decided stoning women to death for crimes like being raped, talking to a male not their relative and other crimes against men was to be redundant, they'd shoot them instead.

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tez3: this is exactly what I meant at "the bad thing is when people take things out of context to prove their points"... I'm sure that somehow they can prove that they're right when doing so according to the Korán (sry, always forget how to spell that in English, so I stick to the Hungarian spelling), while they're obviously wrong.
Hm, if it's true that when hell's full, dead walk the streets... in a few years we'll be having much fun with swords and bite-proof hauberks.:partyon: A lot of normal people and some of the most "fundamentalist" religious guys will go to their hells if their religion is true - whatever it is. And it'll make full house in all hells. (just joking - having a strange sense of humour)

Latest Discussions