They're just NOW figuring this out??

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Unrequited love can be a 'killer'
Lovesickness can kill and should be taken more seriously as a legitimate diagnosis, according to health experts.

Frank Tallis, a clinical psychologist in London, is among those calling for greater awareness of the "illness" in a report in The Psychologist magazine.

He said many are "destabilised by falling in love, or suffer on account of their love being unrequited" and this could lead to a suicide attempt.

Few studies deal with the "specific problem of lovesickness", he said.

Physical exhaustion

Prof Alex Gardner, a clinical psychologist in Glasgow and a member of the British Psychological Society, agreed that doctors needed to be more aware of lovesickness as a possible diagnosis.

He said: "People can die from a broken heart.

"You get into a state of despair and hopelessness."

He said as a result of love, in some people it could lead to an extreme state of physical exhaustion.

In extreme cases lovesickness could drive people to take their own life, he added.

Dr Tallis said that before the 18th Century lovesickness had been accepted as a natural state of mind for thousands of years.

He said in modern day terms the symptoms can include mania, such as an elevated mood and inflated self-esteem, or depression, revealing itself as tearfulness and insomnia.

Aspects of obsessive compulsive disorder can also be found in those experiencing lovesickness, such as preoccupation and obsessively checking for text messages and e-mails.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4240579.stm

He said as a result of love, in some people it could lead to an extreme state of physical exhaustion.
:rolleyes: Oh gee, wonder what made him think that?? :uhyeah:

:ladysman:
%think%

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe its true, but its really not for doctors to be diagnosing. There are other factors involved in this not just simply because of one person but maybe the fact that somebody has become lovesick having lost their lover and then their entire world has tumbled down around them.
Some point in love is to 'get over' as they say and to start new again, you cannot be a slave to love, its the whole point of trying to start again without that particular person and accepting what has happened otherwise it will led you down that dark and lonely road.
Yeah maybe doctors should recognise it but they are not JUST NOW figuring it out, people have know it for along time but probably taken the view that its a part of life for most people, which it is. Its a personal challenge for the self if you like!

Regards

DarrenJew

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Love or infatuation? Isn’t love a mutual feeling between two people? When someone does not “love” you in return is it really love you’re feeling?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
DarrenJew said:
Love or infatuation? Isn’t love a mutual feeling between two people? When someone does not “love” you in return is it really love you’re feeling?
You still have 'love' for that person, I see what you mean, depends on how you define Love and loving!

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
DarrenJew said:
I've been a "victim" of this a couple of times. I can say unequivocally that it was love. How could it been anything less or different? Love doesn't always end up being a two way street. Whatever a person feels is truth. However they interpret those feelings is subject to one's own interpretation of truth. :D But having been in love before (and returned) and then being in love again (unreturned)... it was the same, reciprocated or not. The difference was when finding out how she felt is letting go asap and coming to terms with the reality of the situation. At present I'm not IN love but I do love several people because they're my closest friends. Is that the same thing? Isn't it the same thing? Prolly not. Does it matter? Prolly not.

Latest Discussions