Why should I learn Martial Arts?

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Is there any new and genuine reason that I've never heard about learning martial arts?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is there any new and genuine reason that I've never heard about learning martial arts?
The human body is like 3 separate springs, without MA training, each and every spring will be compressed and released individually. With MA training, all 3 springs can be compressed at the same time, and also released at the same time.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe you find it interesting and enjoyable? Only you can decide.
Agree! When your opponent throws 20 punches at you, if you can dodge/block all 20 punches, you will smile in your dream for the next 3 nights. Even money won't be able to buy you this kind of fun.

You want to do at least one thing better than everybody else on this planet. that will be your lifetime MA goal.

Last edited:
OP
J

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What reasons have you heard? Without knowing those we can't tell you one you haven't.
I mean to say that most things we all have heard usual things about MA. I want to know is there something new or unique that we all haven't heard about MA

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studying the martial arts gives you the opportunity to learn more widely about the cultural context of the art, making you a well-rounded person with a wider knowledge. For example, learning to use a Japanese sword may introduce you to Zen, Shingon, Buddhism, the Japanese visual arts, architecture, literary arts such as haiku, sen ryu, haibun, atmospheric neutrinos etc. But only if you are slightly interested in these things in the first place!

OP
J

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Studying the martial arts gives you the opportunity to learn more widely about the cultural context of the art, making you a well-rounded person with a wider knowledge. For example, learning to use a Japanese sword may introduce you to Zen, Shingon, Buddhism, the Japanese visual arts, architecture, literary arts such as haiku, sen ryu, haibun, atmospheric neutrinos etc. But only if you are slightly interested in these things in the first place!
Great..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean to say that most things we all have heard usual things about MA. I want to know is there something new or unique that we all haven't heard about MA
Some of us have being in MA for decades. I don't think there are likely to be any new reasons we haven't already had or heard of from training partners. If you're asking whether there's some new inducement (new methods that are suddenly better) then the answer is no. Change is (and always will be) incremental. What's around now is slightly different than what was there twenty years ago.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still not sure what you mean to that, but here's my off-the-top-of-my-head list of reasons I like MA. YMMV.
- It's fun.
- I was told to (as a kid).
- It gives me a good excuse to get out of my house, on days where I might otherwise not want to get out of my bed after work.
- It has done wonders for my aggression and impulsiveness.
- It taught me breathing techniques.
- I can forget about the outside world for a while when I do it.
- Can forge new friendships.
- Not for me necessarily, but I've seen it help people develop social skills as a result of it.
- It keeps me at some base level of health.
- It encourages me to workout outside of MA (don't want to 'lose' a sparring match because I run out of breath).
- My friends do it.
- I'm a physical learner, and this is an easy and readily accessible way of continuing physical learning as an adult.
- something something self defense something something (actually pretty low on my personal list).
- I like to test myself, and this provides plenty of ways of doing so.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you have learned 20 forms. If you train 1 form 20 times daily, and train a different form next day 20 times daily, for the next 20 days, your physical activity will be different.

If you run everyday (or bicycle, swim, ...), you will just repeat the same activity everyday. It can be boring.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Physical activity has been shown to be the best method of pushing off cognitive decline and loss of IQ as you age. The range of activities you can do, if your in your 60's, 70's and older narrows significantly.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While not in my ball partk. Learn martial arts to be an action stunt person for Hollywood
To make money
To have something that you can eventually call yours that you can pass on to your family and future generations..

OP
J

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Some of us have being in MA for decades. I don't think there are likely to be any new reasons we haven't already had or heard of from training partners. If you're asking whether there's some new inducement (new methods that are suddenly better) then the answer is no. Change is (and always will be) incremental. What's around now is slightly different than what was there twenty years ago.
Yes you're right..

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Learning Martial Arts is fun and exciting at the same time u learn self discipline and self control of your self it is fun when you learn techniques and kata and basic each martial arts is unique in there own way and you can choose any martial arts you want there a lot like shotokan goyu Ryu seido kyukoshin judo aikido hapkido taekwondo tang so do kung fu wushu tai chi chigung ninjutsu Kenpo karate krave maga and other Martial Arts choose the one like and joint if it suits you

Latest Discussions