Why my wife loves "Ultimate Fighter"

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My wife has recently become a fan of the Ultimate Fighter television program on Spike. It is not for the fights, though she enjoys a good fight. It is because the amount of whining, crying, tears, drama, etc tops her other favorite reality shows that involve top models, hair dressers, and fashion design. This current season has featured a fighter getting a colonic, incidents of sobbing on a regular basis, and all of the drama that her other faves miss.

I thought you were going to say because the contestants never wear their shirts. I enjoy the show and like to see a good match and I'll even admit to secretly enjoying the dramatics but the hour long parade of half-naked men reeks of gayness more than What Not To Wear or Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.

_don flatt

LordBwithU

White Belt
Reaction score
My wife and I watch it too, however my wife feels the way I do. This boys need to stop crying and start fighting. And the behavior at the "house" is rediculous, painting stuff on the walls, getting drunk and acting stupid, I guess I forget these guys are young 20's but seems to me, a dedicated guy wouldn't be doing all that and would dominate.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would like to see them go back to challenge's to decide who gets to pick the fights. That would be a big step up and back in my opinion.
icon6.gif

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like to tune into the last 15 minutes to watch the fights. But now with two fights per show, I have to pay more attention to the timing.

If I wanted all the drama I could go to work, or watch a different TV show. I really do not like the other reality shows. The only reason I liked TUF was to see the fighters perform and to watch and learn.

Is the show moving to TNT/TBS? I know they have that DRAMA commercial. With all the Drama Spike just might let it go to TNT/TBS? I am not sure which station has the Drama Commercial.

TUF and its drama will do what "Vampire the Masquerade" did to RPG's. It will bring in women and children. (* Not that were not some before just not lots *) It does open up new markets so some could argue it is good for that. But for me they have lost me this season. I have not been interested.

shinbushi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I personally would like to see them go back to challenge's to decide who gets to pick the fights. That would be a big step up and back in my opinion.
icon6.gif
I hated the challenges, they were really lame. If you based it on specific training drills or something then I would agree with you. I want to seem more training but, I know the majority of the viewers (No martial artists) would not.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Guess again bro. Their highest TV rating on SpikeTV EVER is 2.0. Raws LOWEST during this entire competition was 2.6. The average is 3.8. WWE's flagship PPV's are selling at about 500,000 buyrates. Their puny little monthly ones average 250,000 to 300,000. UFC's highest PPV buyrates are between 200,000 to 250,000. Competing with WWE's monthly PPV market? Yes. DWARFING WWE in the numbers game? Not even close. ;)

Disclaimer: As much as I would love to see Titan Sports get overtaken in a ratings war once again it hasn't happened and is probably a long ways off.

Sources for Ratings:
http://www.mmaweekly.com
http://www.steveswrestling.com/info/rawratings.html
http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfraw.htm

An update on FOX sport news: MMA PPV sales averaging 20 million. Boxing PPV sales averaging 16 million. Wrestling PPV sales averaging 12.5 million.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hated the challenges, they were really lame. If you based it on specific training drills or something then I would agree with you. I want to seem more training but, I know the majority of the viewers (No martial artists) would not.

I agree, I never understood what doing the challenges had to do with the concept behind MMA....not to mention the fighters risked injury performing pointless tasks.

mystic warrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have to face facts as far as things like this happening.
They do it for a reason money, they dumb down shows with things like this to get more of a market. Not to say that there are women that dumb.
But it is playing to there need for drama it is all about money people.
Sad but true.
But if it keeps the show on the air it is better than the women on the view or oprah.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
just watch the fight and ignore the drama, although it is good for a chuckle or two ( seeing grown man crying is really funny), but u must admit lot's of strong guys in there now, although there are weak guys too.

Latest Discussions