Why my wife loves "Ultimate Fighter"

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My wife has recently become a fan of the Ultimate Fighter television program on Spike. It is not for the fights, though she enjoys a good fight. It is because the amount of whining, crying, tears, drama, etc tops her other favorite reality shows that involve top models, hair dressers, and fashion design. This current season has featured a fighter getting a colonic, incidents of sobbing on a regular basis, and all of the drama that her other faves miss.

Now, there have been some good fighters to come out of the show and many of the fights on the show are entertaining, but there has to be a better 'farm system' than this for ufc. I so wish that they would cut out all of the manufactured drama and simply rely on the drama of the fights. Focus solely on the training and fighting. Until UFC finds a way to market itself that doesn't so closely resemble pro-wrestling it does not stand a chance of gaining recognition as a 'legitimate' sport.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Ummm...Since it's dwarfing Pro Boxing, and pro-wrestling in the numbers game (both of which used to dominate their 18-35 yr. old market by the way) and establishing a hold on those age groups, I would say it's already legitimate. When it aires on Spike tv the ratings are always high. There's also a boom with women doing it as well. I deal with teenagers all the time and they all talk about it, and want to do it too.
Add to that, they bought out Pride. I think it's safe to say it's growing and will continue to do so, for some time to come.

As for the drama, I agree with that part. I'd rather see the fighting and training too. Honestly though, like it or not, the drama stuff dominates on tv in our culture now. Reality tv tops the scales presently, and no sign of that dropping off either.

brianhunter

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Did you watch last night?

BJ should have knocked Wang out.

Then he wanted to whine and cry about going to Pulver's team.

MMA needs more budo at times ;) but yeah...I am a fan and love watching the fights.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
AMEN BROTHER!!! I feel the same way. You degrade the sport by allowing constant "smack talking" and drama. Where's the sportsmenship? Can't count how many times I've seen two guys beat each other senseless in a boxing ring only to hug or shake hands at the end of the fight. I'm not saying all the MMA fighters are bad sportsmen I'm just saying it seems like the sport encourages bad sportsmenship in order to add drama and draw viewers and there fore leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

Actually, I'm really glad that The Contender dropped that format for this season. They're not showing a edited 5 round fight anymore. Instead they are giving the audience a full ten round fight and I've seen some great match ups and great fights this season.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ummm...Since it's dwarfing Pro Boxing, and pro-wrestling in the numbers game (both of which used to dominate their 18-35 yr. old market by the way) and establishing a hold on those age groups, I would say it's already legitimate. When it aires on Spike tv the ratings are always high. There's also a boom with women doing it as well. I deal with teenagers all the time and they all talk about it, and want to do it too.
Add to that, they bought out Pride. I think it's safe to say it's growing and will continue to do so, for some time to come.

As for the drama, I agree with that part. I'd rather see the fighting and training too. Honestly though, like it or not, the drama stuff dominates on tv in our culture now. Reality tv tops the scales presently, and no sign of that dropping off either.

Beat me to it.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... I'd rather see the fighting and training too. ...

Sad thing is, that was how the first couple were TUFs were: they had "challenges" to see who got to pick the fight, more footage of actual training — THAT was what had ME watching the show.

Once they went to the "Big Brother" drama format, they pretty much lost me. The last TUF (4 maybe?) I "watched" I would actually channel surf for the first 40 minutes, then tune in for the fight at the end.

If I want to watch drama, I'll tune in to the reality show of the moment or a soap opera. If I want to hear smack talk, I'll watch pro wrestling.

I was watching TUF for the FIGHTS! Lately, I haven't bothered to tune in at all. Someone let me know if they get back to focusing on training and fighting.

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Once they went to the "Big Brother" drama format, they pretty much lost me. The last TUF (4 maybe?) I "watched" I would actually channel surf for the first 40 minutes, then tune in for the fight at the end.

I did the same thing with The Contender the first two seasons. The fight was only the last fifteen minutes of the show so that's all I'd watch.

OP
redfang

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I know that mma is legit, I love to watch it and train it. However, I was speaking more of mainstream recognition. I want to be able to go and buy a newspaper and read about a championship bout that I might not have been able to see, just the same as I can with a boxing match. I want to watch sportscenter and see mma coverage.

Also, Pro-wrestling is not a legit sport. (Unless we're referring to the (now defunct, I think) Real Pro-wrestling show or something similar.

Now UFC is doing what they feel they must to get mma out there, not so much for the benefit of the sport as for the benefit of UFC's accounts. I'm just saying that my wife feels ultimate fighter is gayer than her shows about fashion design (and that's primarily why she watches, for a good belly laugh). Out gay friends feel the show is gayer than those same shows about fashion design (They especially loved the one when the fighter, trying to make weight, stripped naked and laid out by the pool. Oh and the thong worn in the weigh in the next week was good). That, coupled with the trash talk, lack of respect, and pro wrestling style theatrics seems to be something of a hinderance in achieving mainstream respectability.

More fighting and training, less appeals to the lowest common denominator please.

Crimson Ghost

White Belt
Reaction score
Ummm...Since it's dwarfing Pro Boxing, and pro-wrestling in the numbers game (both of which used to dominate their 18-35 yr. old market by the way)

Guess again bro. Their highest TV rating on SpikeTV EVER is 2.0. Raws LOWEST during this entire competition was 2.6. The average is 3.8. WWE's flagship PPV's are selling at about 500,000 buyrates. Their puny little monthly ones average 250,000 to 300,000. UFC's highest PPV buyrates are between 200,000 to 250,000. Competing with WWE's monthly PPV market? Yes. DWARFING WWE in the numbers game? Not even close. ;)

Disclaimer: As much as I would love to see Titan Sports get overtaken in a ratings war once again it hasn't happened and is probably a long ways off.

Sources for Ratings:
http://www.mmaweekly.com
http://www.steveswrestling.com/info/rawratings.html
http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/wwf/wwfraw.htm

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guess again bro. Their highest TV rating on SpikeTV EVER is 2.0. Raws LOWEST during this entire competition was 2.6. The average is 3.8. WWE's flagship PPV's are selling at about 500,000 buyrates. Their puny little monthly ones average 250,000 to 300,000. UFC's highest PPV buyrates are between 200,000 to 250,000. Competing with WWE's monthly PPV market? Yes. DWARFING WWE in the numbers game? Not even close. ;)

Disclaimer: As much as I would love to see Titan Sports get overtaken in a ratings war once again it hasn't happened and is probably a long ways off.

Sources for Ratings:
http://www.steveswrestling.com/info/rawratings.html

Well Bro...Still proves the point doesn't it? The "puny" MMA numbers now compete with the WWE and are growing. The MMA's still have a strangle hold on the demographics (were the real numbers count !) that were solidly owned by Boxing, and wrestling. Which, by the way, all of these entities NEED to expand. How big is it getting? Even women headline fights on Showtime, with HBO picking up the MMA's too. Starting to hear and see the MMA's on radio and all over cable as well. They were fringe, now are more than competeing overall. The MMA is doing nothing, but progressing. The others are either in decline (boxing) or are staying level, with some dipping (wrestling).

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

P.T. Barnum wrote about theatrics and showmanship and WWE has taken these lessons to heart, and reaping the success. (Barnum also wrote that there's one born every minute).

Theatrics and drama are the way to go to get a$$es on seats. People know that WWE is a fake exhibition/performance... they're there for the show!!

It is important to note that we here are a minority percentage of the viewers.

TUF has moved that way I suspect because the producers know the formula that works. That is why many reality shows are successful. They know the formula and it works rather consistently.

Note now that there are 2 fights per show instead of 1.

It is a business andhas to appeal to as many as possible to keep growing.

Even boxing had to resort to such tactics! Unfortunately, the De la Hoya/Maywether fight was dissapointing for many viewers...

Onward.

Juan M. Mercado

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Too late for an edit, but, I just thought I'd add that it wasn't the littlle ticker at the bottom of the screen that told me who won on ESPN. It was the announcers showing the knockout and talking about it. They also built up the pre fight showing the weigh in and discussing the Ice Man.

Not too shabby!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Too late for an edit, but, I just thought I'd add that it wasn't the littlle ticker at the bottom of the screen that told me who won on ESPN. It was the announcers showing the knockout and talking about it. They also built up the pre fight showing the weigh in and discussing the Ice Man.

Not too shabby!

Times certainly have changed and the UFC is now rapidly becoming a major sport! It definately will surpass any other combat sport soon.

OP
redfang

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Not too shabby!
Missed that on ESPN, nice to know.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw tonight the VS. Channel (the one that plays the NHL if it sounds unfamiliar-LOL) announced a new show Sunday night at 9pm. It's a show called extreme cage fighting! Even the lowly VS. Channel has MMA!

Still growing! LOL!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course, there's probably another reason your wife likes to watch it. Muscular, sweaty young men rolling around on the ground wearing almost nothing...

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
I'm friends with one of the guys on that show this season, and although he's under contract and can't say much, I suspect from what he does say, the producers stir the pot to make for better TV watching. He certainly acted out of character on the show.

Not that this should surprise anyone.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a oddball girl. I can't stand the smarmy, whiney, boo-hooing shlock, I'd rather just watch a good fight. ;)

Latest Discussions