Why is Zen not emphasized in most dojos?

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's right, it's a inner wedging block then as we learn it.

Here's a handy site I sometimes use for revision... I know we've kinda hijacked the thread but i don't suppose Freestyler will complain!! heehee

Shall we open a thread in the TKD section?

Not a bad idea at all, Shaderon. I actually think there is a thread somewhere or other out there on Korean MA terminology... haven't been able to locate it yet, though.

Meanwhile, I think that a consensus of sorts has emerged amongst those who've responded to this post: MAs in general don't teach Zen because many of them don't originate in places where Zen is a component of the culture, and even in places where it is a component, the arts originating in those places are not dependent for their effective functioning—or maybe it's more accurate to say, practitioners are not dependent for their effective utilization of these arts—on Zen as a whole or particular tenets of Zen. As a result, instructors are not trained to deliver education in Zen as part of their skills in imparting the MAs in which they have expertise, and most would therefore be completely unable to present Zen competently, even if the clientele for their art wanted to know Zen.

I don't know that there's anything more that needs saying on this topic... have I left anything out?

So now, about those inner spread/wedging blocks... :wink1:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, it seems that only gorillas post on this website. I read all your replies, and it seems that not one of you realize that single, unarmed combat, which is wrestling, is not even practiced anymore on the street. I doubt Karate, or Jiu-jitsu, or Kempo, or TKD, or JKD is very effective against a gun or knife. And don't tell me about disarming techniques, that is fantasy. Martial Artists are by nature weak people who speculate on what works in a real fight, but never actually do it. Believe me, Mr. 280 Crackhead doesn't care if you know all the hot new techniques coming from Brazil, or the ancient techniques of Okinawan Karate, or even if you are a judo champion. There are very few cases of anyone using martial arts to defend themselves, largely because martial arts are mythology. If you don't realize that, I feel sorry for you. You go back to your fantasy kata, and i'll go back to speaking truth and kindness. Without philosophy, martial arts is a strange form of gymnastics.

Bye.
I think this is the most non-zen post I have ever read. However, replace the word Zen with the words christianity or Islam and you will find that he believes what he is saying and feels sorry for us. What I do see is his complete misunderstanding of the martial arts and its usefullness. I feel the zen is always there in a good school, but we don't need to become shintoists to bennefit from it, because the gist is universal.
sean

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't emphasize Zen in my "studio" for several reasons. 1) - there are several other fine schools of Buddhism besides Zen. 2) - I'm not Buddhist 3) - I don't emphasize my personal faith to my students, why would I emphasize something else. 4) - The study and practice of Zen have nothing to do with any aspect of my martial practice.

Latest Discussions