Status
Not open for further replies.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well if you can show me a FMA school that trains differently than the others for self defense, that'd be great.
There are several folks around MT alone who train FMA among others with an eye towards self defense... Again, it's not the style, but the focus and training approach that matters. Even the exercises can be the same... if the purpose is understood. There was an enormous reaction to a video of Bobbe Edmonds demonstrating an exercise a few months ago. For those who understood the exercise, and saw what was happening, it was scary and effective. Those who didn't get that? Well, it looks silly. Those tap-a-tap drills that FMA folks do? They aren't intended to be used directly in a fight... but to develop certain skills.

Here's my simple problem with everything I've seen you post. You're flogging dead horses, without showing any understanding of what you're talking about. You barely see the surface, and figure that what you see is all there is... and yet you feel that people should flock to your blog.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok well if you can show me a FMA school that trains differently than the others for self defense, that'd be great.

Why?

You profess to know everything about every art, even though you've been proved wrong on every single point you've ever made...

Anything anyone says is only going to be ignored.

Might as well just...

hB17D76D9

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, once upon a time there was a guy who watched a few videos and came up with a story about training for 8 or 5 years and how he developed his own ultimate self defence non-style.

And when he told everyone he was all like

latest

And everyone was like

704.jpg

And he was like

im-confused-m08wjd.jpg

And we were all

25f7db88513d4981daec5a74d8099472.jpg

And then one person in the corner was like

emageht.png

And we were all

cf6ce4f1dc16b96bc12441e06b7f82dc.jpg

So he said

33e.php

And we all agreed

9b5.jpg

And OP was

1ef91c67108c0ec5dbef8b5e3c95dd48.jpg

Repeat as necessary.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doce Parres was attacked by a couple of knifemen. He stabbed two, but got hit from behind with a chair. His attacker took his knife and stabbed him repeatedly. Doce Parres disarmed him back and stabbed him back before passing out. He woke up in a morgue because people thought he was dead. What was his mistake? Lack of situational awareness.

Er what? You, mate, are having a giraffe.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are several folks around MT alone who train FMA among others with an eye towards self defense... Again, it's not the style, but the focus and training approach that matters. Even the exercises can be the same... if the purpose is understood. There was an enormous reaction to a video of Bobbe Edmonds demonstrating an exercise a few months ago. For those who understood the exercise, and saw what was happening, it was scary and effective. Those who didn't get that? Well, it looks silly. Those tap-a-tap drills that FMA folks do? They aren't intended to be used directly in a fight... but to develop certain skills.

Here's my simple problem with everything I've seen you post. You're flogging dead horses, without showing any understanding of what you're talking about. You barely see the surface, and figure that what you see is all there is... and yet you feel that people should flock to your blog.

I keep hearing people say that what they do is just training drills, but hardly anyone can demonstrate it work in full-contact sparring without a script.

If it's not the style, let's throw out all styles. They don't matter. After all, it's the training right?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it's not the style, let's throw out all styles. They don't matter. After all, it's the training right?

Up to a point it's the training.

But it must be good training done well.

Not your abortive mishmash of inconsequential crap.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that what they do is just training drills, but hardly anyone can demonstrate it work in full-contact sparring without a script.

Yep training....training which you have none of...honestly I feel sorry for you...that your life is that sad and empty you have to make all this stuff up

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between sparring and an assault?

A style is few things. It's a structure for training. It's a set of principles and methods both to train and to develop the tools/body weapons that you will use. It's a set of strategies and tactics. It's a way to pass on and communicate what worked before to those who come after you, so that they don't have to reinvent the wheel completely. Properly taught, over time, the style "disappears" into the practitioner's movements and responses.

Teaching self defense isn't teaching a style. It's teaching a wide set of tools that may or may not be chosen from one or several martial arts. Those tools should include recognizing danger, evading and deescalating, physical tactics or techniques to protect yourself with minimized risk of being injured yourself, and how to handle the legal and psychological/emotional aftermath. And probably more stuff I haven't listed. (Rory Miller has listed 7 elements, as I recall, for just one example of someone else's opinion.) There's a reason that we don't teach cops a "martial art"; we teach them Defensive/Control Tactics that are designed to be learned quickly, retained easily, and used effectively under pressure with little reinforcement or ongoing practice while still adhering to legal requirements and liabilities.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I explain why FMA will get you beaten or killed in self defense.

Wrong mindset - FMA train for fights, not self defense. FMA were used during a time of war against the Spanish. The claims that FMA helped Filipinos defeat the Spanish during the Philippine revolution are exaggerated. If you study history, you'll see that guns ultimately helped the Filipinos win the war.

Unrealistic techniques - In FMA, you'll hear alot of concepts like checking the hands and trapping or parrying then attacking. You might see them do something like this.

The problem with that is knife fights are completely different from knife attacks. Knifemen usually ambush you. By the time you realize what happened, you would've been stabbed or slashed repeatedly. These are some clips of how real knife attacks go down.

No multiple attackers - Other issue with FMA is there's no training to deal with multiple attackers. Doce Parres was attacked by a couple of knifemen. He stabbed two, but got hit from behind with a chair. His attacker took his knife and stabbed him repeatedly. Doce Parres disarmed him back and stabbed him back before passing out. He woke up in a morgue because people thought he was dead. What was his mistake? Lack of situational awareness.

In conclusion, FMA is not ideal for self defense. It's going to get you beaten or killed most likely.
Per your own words:
"I suppose this could work in some situations but I don’t see it happening in every situation."
Do you honestly believe that there is something that works every time in every situation?

You talk about not seeing something as having been done so that is to be discounted.
Therefore by your own words we are to discount what you have stated for you haven't shown anything you do that works every time in every situation.

Situation awareness is very important. But just because one is aware that alone doesn't prevent one from taking damage.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I explain why FMA will get you beaten or killed in self defense.

Wrong mindset - FMA train for fights, not self defense. FMA were used during a time of war against the Spanish. The claims that FMA helped Filipinos defeat the Spanish during the Philippine revolution are exaggerated. If you study history, you'll see that guns ultimately helped the Filipinos win the war.

Unrealistic techniques - In FMA, you'll hear alot of concepts like checking the hands and trapping or parrying then attacking. You might see them do something like this.

The problem with that is knife fights are completely different from knife attacks. Knifemen usually ambush you. By the time you realize what happened, you would've been stabbed or slashed repeatedly. These are some clips of how real knife attacks go down.

No multiple attackers - Other issue with FMA is there's no training to deal with multiple attackers. Doce Parres was attacked by a couple of knifemen. He stabbed two, but got hit from behind with a chair. His attacker took his knife and stabbed him repeatedly. Doce Parres disarmed him back and stabbed him back before passing out. He woke up in a morgue because people thought he was dead. What was his mistake? Lack of situational awareness.

In conclusion, FMA is not ideal for self defense. It's going to get you beaten or killed most likely.
I'm glad you got around to posting another one of these. I missed them. Your arguments are all over the place, and not once have you proposed how any of these issues can actually be addressed.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Dude, we've all seen how you move from your videos, and what you know from your posts.

We all heard you huffing and puffing after 30 seconds of lurching around in front of the camera like you were in the later stages of ALS in your 'shadowboxing' video, and watched your man boobs bounce while getting shot with Nerf darts.

We've seen you talk about training in WC but not knowing any of the basic terminology or theory, and how you taught yourself jkd.(lol) Everyone here knows you are a liar and a fraud, with no skills at all and too out of shape to go more than a few seconds in real life. My grandmother could beat you up.

But yet here you are, taking yourself completely seriously. It boggles the mind.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You have already made up your mind and are so deeply embedded into your delusional world. Trying to convince you would be a complete waste of time. However, I'm clarifying a few things in case others who aren't familiar with FMA will not be deterred by your false statements about FMA.

FMA focuses on drilling responses to various angles of attack regardless if it's an unarmed(grabs, punches, kicks, etc) or weapon attack(knife, stick, etc). That's why techniques in FMA are universal, meaning we apply the same concepts when defending against a knife or unarmed. This helps in covering more than one combative situation at a time because we are still moving like knife fighters even when it's not a knife fight.

Your premise of "Well the Filipinos had to use guns against their enemy who also had guns, thus FMA is useless", is filled with logical fallacies. You would probably be saying that FMA is useless if they lost the war. You seem to have you bases covered, you can't be wrong regardless.

In FMA, you'll hear alot of concepts like checking the hands and trapping or parrying then attacking. You might see them do something like this.
No, the concept is attacking you're opponent without getting stabbed to death. You have to deal your opponents weapon arm, that can be done by either disarming, controlling or revering the knife on them. If you are attacked with a knife and I focus on their non-weapon arm I'm going to get severely injured or more likely killed. That's why the parries, arm checks and de-fanging techniques are in there, you have to deal with the weapon first.

"Knifeman" must still use knife attacks to inflict injury. There are plenty of instances where people have defended themselves against knife attackers. It's a disadvantageous position to be in to defend yourself against a knife-wielding opponent, but I rather know what to do if faced with one opposed have a self-defeating approach and never training it.

You're completely wrong. FMA schools work multiple attacker drills as well as spar one-on-multiple. You clearly haven't done any research into this. Doce Parres is a system of Kali, not a person, thus I don't know what attack you're referring to.

No, standing around and pretending dodging a nerf gun dart is the same as a bullet from a firearm(on your YouTube channel) will get you killed. Waiving your arms around with no structure, speed nor power will get you killed(Your video). Teaching a self-defense class when you have no understanding of martial arts will get OTHER PEOPLE KILLED. I hope you don't actually teach self-defense. If you want to exist in your own little world of delusion then only include yourself in that world, don't invite other naive/inexperienced into it.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP: @Isaiah90, I think you've got some learning to do. I've said before that I'd love to share ideas, and that's still open. This thread might end up getting you banned, so I'm dropping this in now. If you get in touch with me (either PM me with your contact info, or reach me through my website, from my signature), I'd be more than happy to get together. And if you find yourself in WNC, give me a yell and we can get some time on the mats.

I think you're headed in the wrong direction, but if you're honestly interested in learning and helping others learn, I'm more than happy to share whatever knowledge I have that might help. Just know that I'll be honest with you about what errors I see in your thinking, and would expect you do to the same with mine. And if we get time on the mats, I'll share any technical knowledge that might be useful, with the same caveat.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the OP: @Isaiah90, I think you've got some learning to do. I've said before that I'd love to share ideas, and that's still open. This thread might end up getting you banned, so I'm dropping this in now. If you get in touch with me (either PM me with your contact info, or reach me through my website, from my signature), I'd be more than happy to get together. And if you find yourself in WNC, give me a yell and we can get some time on the mats.

I think you're headed in the wrong direction, but if you're honestly interested in learning and helping others learn, I'm more than happy to share whatever knowledge I have that might help. Just know that I'll be honest with you about what errors I see in your thinking, and would expect you do to the same with mine. And if we get time on the mats, I'll share any technical knowledge that might be useful, with the same caveat.
He's not interested in learning he doesn't listen to anything. He thinks he knows everything. Don't waste your time or energy on him

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I think your wasting your time and effort. It don't seem to sink in what any of the guys who do know have said

sorry if that offends I am just stunned that a person can dump on things without any insight and post vids that do not exactly show anything effective (ops own vids) and ............well I ain't saying it or I'll get banned

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's an entirely different argument, and there's actually some truth to it. Change the training of an effective style, and you can render it ineffective for any chosen context. Any style with reasonable tools can be taught for effective use, and most can also be taught for flash and demo fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's not interested in learning he doesn't listen to anything. He thinks he knows everything. Don't waste your time or energy on him
If he takes me up on it, it means he's willing to learn from someone who doesn't agree with him, which means there's actually a chance for him to learn. I don't expect he'll ever take me up on it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he takes me up on it, it means he's willing to learn from someone who doesn't agree with him, which means there's actually a chance for him to learn. I don't expect he'll ever take me up on it.

If he does, please oh please video it.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

If he does then credit to him

As well as working on the techs you might want to give him a few lessons on interpersonal skills ie ....slanging of established arts is not professional and not in any way a good business practice, especially if you can't actually do the techs you slanging

Oh and not to go posting vids of things that either don't work or make him look a .......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions