Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why Do So Few People Vote In The U.S.?
clear.gif

Author: Calvin Woodward, AP Source: ABC News (US)
clear.gif

Title: WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE VOTE IN THE U.S.?

Government of the people, by the people, will be missing a lot of people Election Day.

It's a persistent riddle in a country that thinks of itself as the beacon of democracy. Why do so few vote?

Compare U.S. voting with foreign voting and it's not a pretty sight. Americans are less apt to vote than are people in other old democracies, in new ones, in dangerous places, dirt poor ones, freezing cold ones, stinking hot ones and highly dysfunctional ones.
[Read Full Story]
Source: Wrens Nest

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, assuming your vote is actually attributed to the candidate you want, even if your candidate wins it will make almost no difference in the outcome. Democrats and Republicans are just two sides to the same coin who try very hard to convine the voters that they are really fundamentally different byt anyone today who think it makes a difference whether the democrats are in power or the Republians is naive at best or deluded at worst. Futurama nailed it when they pointed out the choice is between John Jackson and Jack Johnson.

pic00062.jpg

However, I don't think most voters are as cynical as me so I think few people vote because it's seen as an incovenience...and back to my cynicism but it's an inconvenience with no real impact

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People asked me why I don't vote. Right now we're in the middle of Senatorial election here in Tennessee. Every single ad that's been coming out on the airways has been nothing but mud-slinging defamation of character by either opponent... (and they "approve of their messages").
My step-mother said that I should do my patriotic duty and vote. I asked her; how can I vote for a candidate that doesn't say one whit about their (own) positive attributes but would rather choose to point out all the negative things their opponent that they can dig up. This one had extramarital affairs, that one didn't vote to support the war in Iraq, this one supports Gay marriage, that one gave out abortion pills to teenagers and on and on and on.
Gee fellas looks like NEITHER one of you is fit to hold office according to the other... or are you? Tell US what you're going to do for US and our state(s) and our country? Tell US how you're going to lower unemployment and poverty and raise health-care benefits for those elderly and impoverished? Tell US how you're going to improve the schools and teacher's salaries so that they're more of them and they're motivated to teach our children (read: the FUTURE of our country), what GOOD you're going to do!
Basically I'm tired of two party elections. Oh sure sometimes there's an independent running... but they don't last for long do they? Basically I think we need a hellva lot more parties in this country to balance out the dominate two party monopoly in the houses and senate.
If I got more to choose from then I may consider casting my all important patriotic ballot to help make my country a better democracy.
I think the candidates would probably spend a hellva lot less money digging up and exposing dirt on their opponents if there were a few more of them... I'd love to see a third and fourth candidate get up and speak not on the negatives of their opponents and speak about their positive contribution they could make... I'd love to see what effect it would have on the voters then... and the mule and elephant.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say about 70% of the people I know fairly well vote and about 30% do not.
The ones that do not vote feel frustrated because they do not believe that much of what is said or promised is honest and they don't really care for any of the candidates running!
Many of the ones that do vote also feel somewhat the same way but feel like their vote should still be counted and they try and just pick as issue or two that they most care about and support the person / people that take their same view on the issue(s).

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I think it is either because of Zaphod Beeblebrox or the fact that,

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job." - Douglas Adams :) (And yes I know this is not a presidential election)

Multiple reasons, some feel that there vote makes no difference. Some feel that even if they do vote it will really make no difference that wins as far as the way the country goes. Some don't vote because they do not like any of the people running. I have heard all these and more over the years for reasons why people don't vote.

I see not much difference between either party to be honest and I do not think either will really make that much difference. But I still vote hoping I am wrong, so far I haven't been.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know some people who feel that their vote is meaningless, that so many people vote that one person's vote doesn't make a difference, especially on the state and national levels. There are days I wonder myself; that did not, however, keep me from standing in line for 2 hours Friday night to participate in early voting, knowing that I have a meeting after work on Tuesday that would make it hard for me to get to the polls at a reasonable time.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing to consider. Voter turnouts, here and in other countries, tends to get higher the more unhappy the populace is with the government. Like this one coming up is going to have a huge turnout for a mid-term election.

Jeff

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I got an interesting response to this question today from someone from China.

"Why would I vote, I don't know them, they are not my family and no matter who I vote for they will not do things like I would nor will they listen to me or even talk to me if I vote for them and they are elected."

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Terry965: I believe the overwhelming majority of people who don't vote are simply too lazy.

Personally, I feel like my vote doesn't really matter, but I vote anyway: too many people fought and died for my right to vote so I exercise the right in their honor.

Plus, I feel that, having voted, I am entitled to complain (b-word got ****** out) about things political. Even if my participation is inconsequential, I DID participate.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think most people just don't care who wins, don't pay enough attention to know who is who, and considers all the candidates equally distasteful.

Of course if Zaphod runs for anything I am elidgible to vote in, I'll vote for him :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why Do So Few People Vote In The U.S.?
clear.gif

Author: Calvin Woodward, AP Source: ABC News (US)
clear.gif

Title: WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE VOTE IN THE U.S.?

Government of the people, by the people, will be missing a lot of people Election Day.

It's a persistent riddle in a country that thinks of itself as the beacon of democracy. Why do so few vote?

Compare U.S. voting with foreign voting and it's not a pretty sight. Americans are less apt to vote than are people in other old democracies, in new ones, in dangerous places, dirt poor ones, freezing cold ones, stinking hot ones and highly dysfunctional ones.
[Read Full Story]
Source: Wrens Nest

1) The Apathy is too high
2) Most people do not understand the difference between a Republic versus a Democracy
3) They are just stupid in my opinion. But that could be considered harsh and not PC, so please look at four.
4) Those who do not vote, in my opinion, are more likely to take other people and or governments to court.

:soapbox:

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
A lot of reasons.

Some think thier vote doesn't count, so i tmakes no difference. They think that thier one vote won't make a difference so they do something else they want to do. But they don't understand that if 100 people who feel the same way go and vote, it makes a big difference.

Some are just cynical and think both parties are the same so it doesn't matter. If this is the case they should go and vote for an independent or a 3rd Party. Right now, it seems like a 3rd party vote is a waste of time and no 3rd party candidate will ever win. What we have seen is a 3rd party candidate put George H.W. Bush out of the White House and put Clinton in.
It was a close race, and with no Ross Perot, Bush would have won.
That put some on notice - for a short time until the idea of 3rd party candidate was beat down again. If enogh people voted for 3rd party, independent or even write-in candidates, it may not put them in office. But the party constantly coming in 2nd place election after election would sure change.

Sadly others are just too lazy and do not want to be inconvienced. In elections that are as close as they are this cylce, it's the turnout of the base that will make a difference. If it happens to rain on election day, some party is going to lose because thier voters looked out the window and said "I don't want to get wet"

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
"2) Most people do not understand the difference between a Republic versus a Democracy"

To make things more confusing for them, we're a Democratic Republic

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a wide variety of reasons why people don't vote and truthfully it is sad to see that some people don't execute their right to vote yet still seem to think they have the right to ***** about what happens after the election. Those people irritate me the most.

Here in Canada with the way our federal elections go, all of the western provinces can vote the same party in and if the east disagrees and wants another party in, they have enough seats to form a majority government. It leaves a lot of westerners thinking that there is no point in voting in the first place.

My take is if you truly wanna make your country stronger and you truly wanna make a difference in peoples lives then don't throw away your opportunity to be heard. Cast your vote and work for change.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the old adage,"familiarity breeds contempt", probably fits this situation. Most of those who can vote in this nation.Were raised under the condition of democratic freedoms. Therfore we just don't hold dear these wonderful ideas. I think if more people from the USA had to take a look at how life under pseudo democratic law plays out. We would have more appreciation for our freedoms, and in turn more voter turn out. A person close to me just informed me that he does'nt vote! His rationale for this,"they all lie, they're all crooks, and they won't keep their campaign promises anyway. My response to him, then I don't want to hear you complain. Not about laws,leadership performance,nada!!! In my eyes it is absolutely outrageous that free citizens of this nation. Who refuse to take part in our democratic process. Will be some of the first to voice complaints about this leader,rep., ect.. After having played no part in trying to get someone reasonable in office,or law changed etc.. Then again they do have that right by GOD's Grace in this free nation.How ironic!!!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I didn't vote because I've become completely disillusioned with politics. A politician is simply a person who makes promises to get into office, repeats them every four years, and passes legislation to get paid more until they're arrested for sexual propositions to a kid in a chat room.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also abstained from Voting...

Just because I had the right to vote, didnt mean it was RIGHT to vote. Given the choices presented to me, of, a couple used car salesmen and NO leaders... the only choice I would have had was to make up a candidate like several of my friends did... which was, as far as I am concered a wasted vote... it would have meant more for them to vote "none of the above" as far as political statements go...

Everyone feels that voting, as a right, is somthing then that MUST be done... got news for you people... Owning a gun is a RIGHT... do you all own one? No... many of you feel that doing so is wrong, and therefore abstain... much like I did this election cycle. If we had a strong LEADER and not a Smiley Glad Hand running, my feelings might have been different. But I was not willing to compromise my feeling towords the candidates (who like 'caver said, we know very little about except all the negatives that their opponents told us about) and vote for one simply because it "was my right" to do so. Thats so much ******** you could drown in it.