Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Today's News: The News By Official Decree
clear.gif

Author: Paul K. McMasters Source: First Amendment Center Online
clear.gif

Title: THE NEWS BY OFFICIAL DECREE

When government officials assume that the power to make the news confers the right to define, distribute or dictate the news, they threaten to fling the democratic process into a tailspin.

Yet too often we find those in elected or appointed positions who claim the authority to decide whether you should have more or less of certain information, and to punish or regulate those in the press or public service who offend their idea of what is news and how it should be delivered.

The latest survey of global press freedoms, released last week by Reporters Without Borders, shows the United States falling another nine places since the previous year to 53rd, tying with Botswana, Croatia and Tonga. Cited as part of the reason for the steady decline in the rankings was the sharp tension between the Bush administration and the press that has developed since 9/11 and the federal courts’ refusal to recognize a reporter’s right to protect confidential sources.

But there is much more than that going on that should test our complacency about the democratic role of an independent press and an informed citizenry.
[Read Full Story]

Wren's Nest

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The linked article is an interesting look at the state of the US's main stream press.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
The tension between the Bush Administration and the leftists in the media has nothing to do with the Bush Administration trying to control or suprress news. It comes from so called "news organizations" making up stories, injecting thier left wing biased into the stories and thier desire to use "news reporting" as means to deliver our military/inteligence plans to the enemy we are fighting.

The most recent flap over "protecting confidential sources" came about during the Plame/CIA leak, which again was blown way out of proportion by the leftwing media. Not only was Plame NOT a "CIA Agent" as they kept reporting, so it was not illegal to reveal her name - her own husband was shooting his mouth off at Washington cocktail parties bragging about his wife being in the CIA. In this case, the "journalists" source was being accused of committing a crime. They had an obligation to reveal the name as part of a criminal investigation.

In this case, again, you had the "news organizations" creating the story they were "reporting on".

I did not look to closely at the article. Just out of curiousity, which one of America's enemies put out this piece of propaganda?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like one of those damned institutions of higher learning in some inbred southern state. Damn Rebels.

"The First Amendment Center, at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn., and in Arlington, Va. (see About the First Amendment Center), operates this Web site. See FAQs about the First Amendment Center."

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
The tension between the Bush Administration and the leftists in the media has nothing to do with the Bush Administration trying to control or suprress news. It comes from so called "news organizations" making up stories, injecting thier left wing biased into the stories and thier desire to use "news reporting" as means to deliver our military/inteligence plans to the enemy we are fighting.

The most recent flap over "protecting confidential sources" came about during the Plame/CIA leak, which again was blown way out of proportion by the leftwing media. Not only was Plame NOT a "CIA Agent" as they kept reporting, so it was not illegal to reveal her name - her own husband was shooting his mouth off at Washington cocktail parties bragging about his wife being in the CIA. In this case, the "journalists" source was being accused of committing a crime. They had an obligation to reveal the name as part of a criminal investigation.

In this case, again, you had the "news organizations" creating the story they were "reporting on".

I did not look to closely at the article. Just out of curiousity, which one of America's enemies put out this piece of propaganda?

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Jesus. Tap. Dancing. Christ.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. I was being sarcastic.

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
Want to know more?

For information on the organization "Reporters without Borders" click [here]

Interesting to see the US has dropped into 53rd place, with nations such as Canada, and more surprisingly, Bosnia, Bolivia, and the Czech Republic having a freer press than the United States.

Now if you will excuse me, I must go place my head back in the sand and sing the 11pm manditory patriotic hymns to our beloved and most reverend Leader.

Latest Discussions