Why do people think grappling arts always beat striking arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
??????????????
Ok. Breaking it down to one technique.

A grappler isn't aiming for your hands he is aiming for your hips. If you punch at a person's head then you open up your hips to be attacked.

If you block punches to your head then you open your hips to be attacked.

Retracting your arms quickly is kind of factored in to this.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hard to tangle with arms when the other guy is to the outside of your arm, which is really the only place he can be if he's slipping the rhino guard. Your arms can only bend inward or upward, and there's no reason to have contact with the arms in either of those directions.

Sort of. The classic version of the rhino suggests you can enter and gain an underhook.

So Mabye it is possible with the rhino? I don't know. I don't like the disadvantages of either version.

The main one being you Ironically give up a lot of your ability to defend takedowns.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

You still have to guide your opponent's arms away from your entering path. So you still cannot ignore your opponent's hands position.

This is why wrestlers like to put both hands in front of their knees. If you attack their leg/legs, you have to deal with their hand first.

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Breaking it down to one technique.

A grappler isn't aiming for your hands he is aiming for your hips. If you punch at a person's head then you open up your hips to be attacked.

There is A LOT more to takedowns than that. Every part of the body is involved.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, why you would say that. Hand fighting is a very important part of grappling, and several techniques do target the feet as well.

When you're in a grappling match with another grappler, sure. However, you're not handfighting when you're fighting a striker who is hitting you and pulling their hands back repeatedly.

However, even when you're hand fighting with another grappler, the GOAL isn't the hands, the GOAL is to get passed their hands and get to the body. Further, you wouldn't target a foot until you've isolated a limb, and if you've isolated a limb, the feet are merely one of several targets at that point.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of. The classic version of the rhino suggests you can enter and gain an underhook.

So Mabye it is possible with the rhino? I don't know. I don't like the disadvantages of either version.

The main one being you Ironically give up a lot of your ability to defend takedowns.

I do think in the right circumstance that can work. If you move up the middle with it, you are inside the arms. If they slip to the outside and block your pivot (easy enough against the outstretched arm), you lose that option.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of grappling in Goju Ryu. Ground techniques. But let's leave them ignorant.
The mystery of this hidden, within the kata, is the unique aspect of this old traditional art. Only, to be reveled in the black belt ranks, do we understand the treasure that has been handed down......But I digress to the non-traditionalist pertaining to Okinawan GoJu Ryu

Last edited:

Unkogami

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When you're in a grappling match with another grappler, sure. However, you're not handfighting when you're fighting a striker who is hitting you and pulling their hands back repeatedly.

Depends on the circumstances and the environment.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's got very little to do with it.

wackaflocka.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The mystery of this hidden, within the kata, is the unique aspect of this old traditional art. Only, to be reveled in the black belt ranks, do we understand the treasure that has been handed down......But I digress to the non-traditionalist pertaining to Okinawan GoJu Ryu

Then what is the point?

You could just learn grappling pretty much anywhere and not have to wait for black.

And then when you do have your black and everyone is learning the mysteries of grappling. You would have years of practical experience under your belt and basically smoke the whole room.

Latest Discussions