Why do people fight with their hands down

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know some use that as their main fighting stance and it's obviously effective for a lot of fighters but personally I don't see what benefits it has all it has is Increased risk of getting knocked out.i know fighters like Stephen Thompson and Anderson silva and lyoto machida do it and I'm not saying I know more than them and I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all but I just don't see why people would that's why I'm asking. I mean look at chuck liddel when his chin went he caught all the time with his hands down and like I said if you've got a good chin it won't matter but as your chin starts to go and you get caught that styles not great for a long career (Anderson silva vs chris weidman)

So yeah that's what I'm asking does anyone any benefits of it having the hands low

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It could be a matter of simply not paying attention, or it could be that these fighter's are purposefully baiting attacks to the head in order to set up their opponent for a counter.

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know some use that as their main fighting stance and it's obviously effective for a lot of fighters but personally I don't see what benefits it has all it has is Increased risk of getting knocked out.i know fighters like Stephen Thompson and Anderson silva and lyoto machida do it and I'm not saying I know more than them and I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all but I just don't see why people would that's why I'm asking. I mean look at chuck liddel when his chin went he caught all the time with his hands down and like I said if you've got a good chin it won't matter but as your chin starts to go and you get caught that styles not great for a long career (Anderson silva vs chris weidman)

So yeah that's what I'm asking does anyone any benefits of it having the hands low

I tend to spar with my hand low in my school, because there are rarely strikes to the head. In a full contact match I would most definitely keep my hands higher. If I was to make a guess. I would say the pros you mention do it, because they either feel confident that they are fast enough to dodge and counter or they do it ro conserve energy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
does anyone any benefits of it having the hands low
When your hand is down, you expose your face as a bait. When your opponent punches at your face, you can use "stealing step" to move yourself out of your opponent's attacking path. Your downward hand can use a circular hay-maker at your opponent's head.

If your opponent moves in

- slow, your hay-maker can knock down his straight punch arm.
- fast, your hay-maker can hit on the back of his head, and knock him down.

Since it's very difficult to create a chance to hit on the back of your opponent's head (the best striking target IMO), it's a great "set up".

Last edited:

paitingman

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It's harder to see the punches sometime when they come from down low and way outside.
As opposed to their hands being in front of their chin and in front of your eyes.

I like and dislike the term Anti-boxing. Things they do (like hands down low) go against conventional wisdom, but it's just another fighting/boxing method basically.

You can't just fight conventionally and then drop your hands. You'll probably get caught. But fighters who do fight like this don't often have the most conventional footwork or timing either so it just works stylistically.

Going into all the details why anti-boxing works would take too long. And due to it's renegade nature, there isn't really a clear "system" among those who are called such.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Put your right leg forward.
- Keep your right hand down.
- Move your left back foot to your right behind your right leg, and spin your body to your left (stealing step).
- Swing your 45 degree "downward" haymaker at your opponent's head at the same time.

If you repeat this drill 100 times daily, after 1 years (365 x 100 = 36,500 reps), you will be good at this. IMO, this is one of the best counters to deal with any straight punch, a great tool to have in your toolbox.

Last edited:

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It could be a matter of simply not paying attention, or it could be that these fighter's are purposefully baiting attacks to the head in order to set up their opponent for a counter.

Lyoto Machida. For sure. He relaxes his guard and uses a few karate techniques and catches people off guard. Be it the left right combo or the crane kick.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Those fighters have also paid the price for having their hands down. No matter how good someone is, having the hands down is always risk.

OP
Kickboxer101

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Those fighters have also paid the price for having their hands down. No matter how good someone is, having the hands down is always risk.
Yeah I know that's the fight I mentioned in my post it's the best example well tbf that fight was more because he was taunting and pretended to get hurt before he got dropped

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
having the hands down is always risk.
When you are in

- kicking range, your opponent's arms cannot reach you, In order for him to punch you, he has to step forward. When he steps forward, you will still have time to raise your hands. There is no risk to have your hands down in kicking range. Since the only attack that may come from your opponent will be his kick, to lower your hand to deal with his kick will be more effective.
- punching range, your hand should fly toward your opponent's face already. There is no good reason to drop your hands.

So the only time that you may drop your hands is

- When your opponent is in the kicking range.
- His hands can not reach you.
- You try to bait him to step forward and punch at your face.
- So you can take advantage on it.

If your opponent's "forward stepping speed" can be faster that your "arm raising speed", you (general YOU) will have serious problem in your "speed" training.

Last edited:

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They have better timing and so know when to put them up and when not to.

My instructor has basically told us hands up - until - when - you get really good.

We also study/practice a little MT and he his always on us not to do the stereotypical hand drop/swing on the Thai Kicks.

Red Sun

Green Belt
Reaction score
...it might just be because having your hands up doesn't actually 'defend' you. This is why we need head movement, footwork, ducking, bobbing, weaving, leaning, etc. It also creates a 'psychological' barrier by making you seem further away.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Because somebody has to get punched in da face!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
...it might just be because having your hands up doesn't actually 'defend' you. This is why we need head movement, footwork, ducking, bobbing, weaving, leaning, etc. It also creates a 'psychological' barrier by making you seem further away.

People have been successful using both methods.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I know is that, for me, it's a very bad idea to fight with the hands down.

And, since it is a bad idea, then if you see someone witht heir hands down, they are providing you the tempting target, so yes, it's most likely a baiting thing, I'd bet.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Damfino.

Your butt's already got padding on it; you don't need to guard it. Your head doesn't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damfino.

Your butt's already got padding on it; you don't need to guard it. Your head doesn't.

And unless your anatomy is a little off, there's nothing all that vital in your butt anyway. Sure, it hurts, but it won't harm you when you get kicked in the butt.

Latest Discussions