Why are you here?

The Master

Bow Before Me.
Reaction score
I lurk and ponder many things, as time oft leaves me lacking to formulate a proper communication for this medium, but ponder much I do.

One of the recent ponderings I entertained was the question of why we are here. Now that question might seem better suited for another section, but please indulge me for a moment.

In reading the many many topics here in this section of MartialTalk, and then comparing those participating with those elsewhere I made a most interesting discovery. One that did take much time lurking and did limit much time for otherwise participating.

I have discovery that there are a few who seem to spend the majority of their time here, engaged in the enjoyable game of Internet sparring over topics of a wide range of issues, most of them of the Body Politic. These are of course passion filled debates, yet one often wonders, why here? Is there not a political forum better suited to such discussions? I ask because in reading through the profiles of some of the more active master debaters you will rarely find them in the areas defining the arts they lay claim to study. I wonder why something as fleeting as a candidate would rise such passions and flame, while something as life long as a study of the arts martial would warrant nary a whisper.

So I ask, why are you here?
if you do not seek to discuss martial arts.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
really, i wouldnt mind the Study section of the forums being removed. It is too heavily moderated to be fun anyway:roflmao:

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I discuss martial arts, but maybe less than 45% of my posts are martial art related....the remainder are in the Study.

Lately, my purpose has only been to piss off Twin Fist and Big Don-why?

Because it gives me pleasure.:lol:

Nah, I'm only kidding about that-I piss them off just by being myself......being myself, and expressing myself, gives me pleasure.

Pissing them off is a bonus....:lol:

Just kidding-don't really care what anyone thinks, most of the time....do enjoy a good but of mental sparring, but it doesn't mean much.

In any case, "why" doesn't matter....what matters is that I'm here.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I discuss martial arts, but maybe less than 45% of my posts are martial art related....the remainder are in the Study.

Although I dont agree with it, that was funny....

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
While most people here have martial arts in common, its not the only thing, obviously :)

I have a group of friends I frequently go out to lunch with. We are all technical, most of us programmers. However, when we meet to eat, we seldom talk shop. Occassionally we will, but most of our conversation flows dynamically across the spectrum. Religion, politics, relationships, finances, you name it.

We have martial arts in common, but as real people, thats no the only part of our life. I kind of see the study, or other non-MA forums, in that fashion. Going out to lunch, but not "talking shop".

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
I don't wish to speak for the modlings, but "to be a raving pain in the poop shoot" might be against some rule or policy or law or somehing.

I'm here because I get a notice every so often saying I'm missed, and since me mum can't pick up a bloody phone and text me, I come back here, read a bunch, post a bit, then go get **** faced until the next time I get a "get your fat stinky **** back here BlackAdder!" note in my email box.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Because I have to be.

really, i wouldnt mind the Study section of the forums being removed. It is too heavily moderated to be fun anyway:roflmao:

Riiiiiight.

Nah, I'm only kidding about that-I piss them off just by being myself......being myself, and expressing myself, gives me pleasure.

Pissing them off is a bonus....:lol:

Just kidding-don't really care what anyone thinks, most of the time....do enjoy a good but of mental sparring, but it doesn't mean much.

Uh, there is this thing called an ignore feature....folks need to push that button as the other one's marked "Eject" and was made by some guys from ACME.

Although I dont agree with it, that was funny....

While most people here have martial arts in common, its not the only thing, obviously :)

I have a group of friends I frequently go out to lunch with. We are all technical, most of us programmers. However, when we meet to eat, we seldom talk shop. Occassionally we will, but most of our conversation flows dynamically across the spectrum. Religion, politics, relationships, finances, you name it.

We have martial arts in common, but as real people, thats no the only part of our life. I kind of see the study, or other non-MA forums, in that fashion. Going out to lunch, but not "talking shop".

I'm permanently out to lunch.

I don't wish to speak for the modlings, but "to be a raving pain in the poop shoot" might be against some rule or policy or law or somehing.

I'm here because I get a notice every so often saying I'm missed, and since me mum can't pick up a bloody phone and text me, I come back here, read a bunch, post a bit, then go get **** faced until the next time I get a "get your fat stinky **** back here BlackAdder!" note in my email box.

It does not mention how stinky your *** is dude.....

Because I am not over there.

That's almost zen. :)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
People argue their political and religious viewpoints here people like to argue against other people, not faceless entities.

Most of the long term posters here know many of the other long term posters. They have built a relationship, and as such they enjoy trying to argue against them more than they would someone random.

People don't post as much in the dedicated arts forums because there is no room for debate. As far as the martial arts themselves are concerned, most of the arguments have been done and dusted, and everyone posting "I agree" makes for a very boring forum. So people come to the Study, get all riled up by what people are posting, and then set out to 'set the record straight' about whatever issue has got their gander up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont post much in the section about my art anymore cuz it gets silly to post in there. Someone asks a legit question, or a seemingly legit question and is aswered with "I like mac and cheese, it sits on my shelf and its taste does please" and a large portion of the serious students of the art got sick of the BS and left... so all you are left with are guys posting like the one above... So I lurk in there but rarley post anymore.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I beg to differ on that. The study actually gives a little more wiggle room compared to other areas of the board. 9 times out of 10 a study topic will be one that will result in high tension, mixed views, 2 or more sides that are so headstrong in their ways, they refuse to budge and see any other views.

What the study is not: It is not a free for all. It has been stressed many times to attack the post, not the poster. But that does not mean that its open season to bash the hell out of someone.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. Its natural to disagree with someone. But, if it can't be done in a civil way, then perhaps the study isn't for that person.

In closing I'll say this. I started a thread on motor vehicle checkpoints in DC. During the discussion there were a few members who didn't seem to be agreeing with each other. I was one of those members. Interesting that while we initially had disagreements, we still maintained a civil attitude. Its too bad more couldn't follow that pattern.

If people can't have a discussion without telling someone to **** off, that they're stupid, they suck, or any other non-adult like behavior, then the study isnt for them!

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I dont post much in the section about my art anymore cuz it gets silly to post in there. Someone asks a legit question, or a seemingly legit question and is aswered with "I like mac and cheese, it sits on my shelf and its taste does please" and a large portion of the serious students of the art got sick of the BS and left... so all you are left with are guys posting like the one above... So I lurk in there but rarley post anymore.

Cryo it is to bad you do not post there much anymore. Your input or thoughts could produce some interesting topics.
icon6.gif

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because political confrontation can be fun. Its almost a philosophic brother to MA. Hell, arent a lot of the longest and most involved MA threads political in nature as well?

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because my friend got me hooked on the Study forum here. I enjoy the arguments, even when I'm proven wrong. I don't currently practice martial arts, although once I begin, I would like to have this forum as a resource.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I lurk and ponder many things, as time oft leaves me lacking to formulate a proper communication for this medium, but ponder much I do.

One of the recent ponderings I entertained was the question of why we are here. Now that question might seem better suited for another section, but please indulge me for a moment.

In reading the many many topics here in this section of MartialTalk, and then comparing those participating with those elsewhere I made a most interesting discovery. One that did take much time lurking and did limit much time for otherwise participating.

I have discovery that there are a few who seem to spend the majority of their time here, engaged in the enjoyable game of Internet sparring over topics of a wide range of issues, most of them of the Body Politic. These are of course passion filled debates, yet one often wonders, why here? Is there not a political forum better suited to such discussions? I ask because in reading through the profiles of some of the more active master debaters you will rarely find them in the areas defining the arts they lay claim to study. I wonder why something as fleeting as a candidate would rise such passions and flame, while something as life long as a study of the arts martial would warrant nary a whisper.

I tend to only visit the study when its a topic that interests me or that I feel that I can really understand and attempt to have some good debate. Politics...forget it. That is something I steer clear from. Other issues such as the DC checkpoints, shooting in NYC, and things of that nature...those are the topics I will be likely to reply to.

I spend the majority of my time in the general and art related forums. Even in those forums things can get a bit tense, but like I said, nothing wrong with a good deabte. Its when things get too hot and rude, and then it makes it less fun for all.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I ponder as well and also lurk. I find that I am not in the mood to argue, which is why I just browse and lurk most of the time.

I am here for self enlightenment and discovery. I walk my path, and hope to share it with many others. I recently had a Condo sales patch given to me, and while I explained going and visiting friends in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Buffalo, Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago, California, and other places including part of Michigan, she commented wow it must be nice having all those friends one can go and see and spend time with.

Data gathering is a good resource and you should offer this to the staff of Martial Talk.

As my most posted section is still the Mod Forum Lounge, I guess I do not post enough in the arts section either. I do know that while on staff here I spent a lot of time reading and following up and discussing what was posted here on Martial Talk.

The three things people are not to talk about in polite company are Religion, Taxes, and Politics. It seems that get people upset with these topics. The study allows people a place to go and express their opinion and or frustration, and have discourse upon it. They have friends here that they come and visit and see. Given that it is the internet and people can post on their time, distance and timing are no longer a factor so people can express their points of view and also their opinions with people who also study martial arts, which is the way they met them, a common piece to bring them together.

And as to why the discourse here and not in the arts section? I can express my point of view on a technique, and I get people calling me or e-mailing me asking why I did not like it or them. Or that their instructor will want to talk to me and "EXPLAIN" it to me. Well, I have made the calls to many people and to their instructors, and in the end, no fights or conflicts were had.

Some do not "believe" my experience. Others do not want to follow a non-Filipino teaching Filipino Martial Arts. Others, are just upset that I can use this forum to express myself and get some seminars, while they try and try and try and no one wants them to teach them anything, so they go on the attack. They create false identities and log in not as themselves to poke and cause problems.

So given the issues, above why should I go out of my way to give away here anymore knowledge that others put into their books, or start teaching and using themselves and they never used it or understood it before? They claim it to be there own and that they invented it or that their instructor taught them, and in the end they portray yet more falsehoods.

So, I am here to lurk and occasionally post, and to ask some questions and to try to understand people, for right now I understand very little.

To learn about people? To try to understand what makes people tick? To talk to those who also have Martial Arts as a Hobby or passion on other subjects.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If people can't have a discussion without telling someone to **** off, that they're stupid, they suck, or any other non-adult like behavior, then the study isnt for them!

Mike

but thats the FUN part..........:D

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I'm here for the Martial Arts discussion...I get rather disappointed when my sections of interest are calm. But then, I also tend to spend time in other style's forums to learn more about them and offer the occassional "third party perspective" or question.

I like it being there, but honeslty part of the reason why I like the study and the entire forum for that matter is because of the moderation. There are plenty of other forums and boards out there (you all know which ones) that people can go to if they want to insult people. But honestly, I've looked around there....and there is ZERO technical discussion. Basically, it is a flame fest. Topics are started under the guise of being about MA and quickly decline into nothing but insults.

I come to MT BECAUSE of the moderation and the general attitude. This is the friendliest place on the internet. There are enough jerks in real life, I don't need to deal with them on the internet too; though the occassional heated debate is fun, the moderation of this board is what keeps it from degrading into personal jabs and insults and keeping things somewhat on topic. If you want to know why people are on MT....go look at another forum and try to get an honest MA question answered. Good luck....

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm here because I want to be and because I know that life is more than just Martial Arts (dodges throwing stars while typing this) and it's more than caving and I could go on and on about that subject too.
I'm here because you also get to know people better by seeing more than just ONE side of them. I've been compared to a diamond in the rough so as multi-faceted as I may be I can't just show ONE side of myself and I don't want to. Why should I? There more to me than meets the eye and I'm sure that applies to just about everyone here.

Don't like the Study? Stay out of it. Simple and easier on everyone including yourself. :asian:

Latest Discussions