Why do you come here?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have often wondered what brings the various people to this board and how do they decide what they read or respond to. Is it a particular poster that you seek out? Someone that knowledgeable in a certain art? Someone with like political affiliations or is it the debate that keeps you here? Did you find that you joined for one reason and now it has changed? Has MT helped you define yourself as a person or Martial Artist?

For me, I log on and look at the posts, I sift through the ones that interest me and yes, I seek out certain posters, especially ones that have made me truly think, laugh hysterically, or perhaps have shed some light on an issue and even have changed my mind about things. I have been fortunate enough to become “friends” with some of the posters and have had great conversations with them off the forum as well, dare I say even with people that don’t share my political views!

I enjoy the political debate a lot, although I don’t participate much in it. It has opened my eyes and reaffirms that every country has its problems and we are all just trying to work them out. Truthfully, we really aren’t that much different.

Although there is controversy here and sometimes discussions get heated and somewhat beyond where they should be, I have learned a lot about the various arts. It has helped keep my interest in martial arts and has expanded my views and my desire to try new things.

How about you?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I joined MartialTalk because of the friendly atmosphere. When I joined, it was SO REFRESHING to see and hear positive conversation and productive debate without slamming and insults, or at least when they did occur, they were quickly and effectively moderated. Posts were abounding then.

Recently, a fistful of negativity has been trying to gain ground here and sometimes it burns me out.

I'd like to get back into positive conversations, honest conversations, explorative conversations without finger pointing, hidden agendas and the like. It makes for a great place to hang while I'm waiting for my email to load. :ultracool

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I joined MT cause I was just taken aback by how much awesome information was our here and the depth of knowledge that seemed to exist. I stayed cause I felt welcomed and like not only can I add something to the various discussion, but that my contributions are appreciated.

Plus, I feel like it lets me live vicariously through others at time when I am unable physically or finacially to train.

I tend to do a skim over the topics and then read the ones that interest me. I don't really seek out the posts of specific people, but am more likely to read threads created or posted to by people whose opinions tend to be well-formed (even if I don't agree with them) or people who have the ability to make me smile with their humor even on serious topics.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Planas (from the Ed Parker's American Kenpo training circle) told me about this site. He said it looked good and might be fun to try out so I checked into it.

I was warmly welcomed and liked the fact that there were a lot of Kenpo people here......but also a lot of other arts represented. I like being able to discuss martial arts with people who understand......other than talking with my classmates, it's a good place to voice questions, discuss tech. differences or problem areas, etc. with a variety of people from a variety of backgrounds.

I really like the women's area too.......as a female martial artist, it's nice to talk to others in your same position.

I don't tend to look for a certain member when reading things......I just look for topics that sound interesting to me.

Good post Nalia- thanks!!

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I sort through the ones that interest me.
Everyone seems to be real Friendly and honest here and alot of Great information on the site too.
I have alot of Fun reading what everyone thinks.:asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like to take this all as a metaphor for the martial arts.

Get in there, play rough, play by the rules. Sometimes the punches get a little too personal and its up to the refs to give warnings, end the fight or disqualify contestants.

Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started as a request from someone. This is a great site to share info. with others you can't normally come in contact with. At this point I have decided to sit in the shadows and post only ocassionally. I enjoy reading when I have the time to.

Originally posted by Shodan
Mr. Planas (from the Ed Parker's American Kenpo training circle) told me about this site. He said it looked good and might be fun to try out so I checked into it.
Well where's he at? I didn't know that he was on here. :asian:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm a glutton for punishment

;)

Cthulhu

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Initially I came to find out info on a few different martial arts.

Now I just come in to pass the time, argue and get a laugh once in a while.

It has been added to the list of web boards that I frequent

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
I originally joined because I couldn't find anyone to listen to what I had to say about martial arts. I had the "audacity" of noting similar movements in dance and martial arts, whereupon the response I got from my friends was "shuttup with your Krav Maga already!".

I started posting and came to see that most of the people posting here were intelligent people, people who are worth talking and listening to.

Being part of a martial arts "melting pot" is also an excellent way of learning from other arts and getting a professional opinion on techniques. Joining this forum has also taught me appreciation of other arts, as well as learning of arts I never new existed at all.

Naw, not really, I'm just here for the post count and computer-generated rank.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like this forum mostly because the people here
are generally trying to help or answer questions
from other people! There is quite a bit of
information here! I would not have known about
Rich Parsons if it were not for this board. Now
he is coming for the second time to my Training
Hall to teach a seminar! That is very positive
in my mind!

Brian R. VanCise

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good question, Nalia! :)

Originally, I came here to see what certain people would post. Then, eventually I became addicted! :D Also, the LLR has been good for me; there aren't any advanced ranked women in my school (& very few women in Kenpo in TX at all), so having a place where can I give &/or receive support from other female martial artists is wonderful. Being on MT has helped me 'broaden my horizons' by exposing me to other martial artists from other systems as well as hearing different points of view about the art I study. Like Rob Broad said, "I come here to learn & share." I'm learning from the folks who have consistently thoughtful & positive posts, as well as from the "trolls," because I believe that you can learn from everyone, even if it's how NOT to behave. :lol: If someone posts about a subject with which I have had some experience, I will share my experience in the hope that it will help them.

Thanks for starting this thread. When things get heavy & negative, threads like this help us remember why we came here in the first place & hopefully when we remember those things, we can focus on them & keep MT the place for "friendly discussion of the Martial Arts" that it is.

:asian:

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like the icons and the smileys that they offer %-}
But I also enjoy most of the forum conversations I have here. See, most people in here know enough of their styles to hold a conversation with another person, most people on MT are also quite polite and are eager to learn and share, there is also a very nice diverse and mature community here. The community is pleasant and we all learn from one another, in my opinion its the best MA forum out there.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I come here to discuss more particularly my art, but I enjoy discussing the arts in general and the things we commonly encounter. I generally sift through the threads by using New Posts and if the subject catches my eye, I may dive in and see what is going on. If I feel compelled to post I will. Lastly, I come here so I can talk about training with my sempais because outside of the dojo, I don't have any outlet to discuss my training (except on another board), because the family and friends neither understand or can tolerate my long winded and sometimes deep training discussions. :D

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's nice to find out origins of the MA I study as well as others' Arts. I also like to learn about others' arts and meet some good people to have conversations with. I will usually try to find something within the Arts I am interested in and then look at the specific titles of threads to find something that I feel comfortable discussing or that I would like to inquire about. Many times, I don't even have to respond on a thread, but just read it to find out many answers to questions I may have. I respond to threads like this on occasion because I think it helps support this site.

Farang - Larry

Latest Discussions