Why Are Georgia and Georgia Both Named Georgia?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why Are Georgia and Georgia Both Named Georgia?What the Deep South and the former USSR have in common.

By Noreen Malone
Posted Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2008, at 7:03 PM ET
Excerpted From SLATE

The Web site of the president of Georgia was temporarily moved to servers based in Atlanta, Georgia, over the weekend, after what appeared to be an attack by Russian hackers. The move was overseen by a Georgian-born executive at a technology company based in Georgia (the state), who happened to be on vacation in Georgia (the country) when the fighting started. Why does a country that was formerly part of the USSR have the same name as a state in the American Deep South?
***END EXCERPT***
Very interesting.
Read the linked story, I'm not giving it away :p

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, y'see now, my mama ... who was borned in Nashville, Tennessee, was one of ten chilllun and her mama? Well, she done already named one of her babies George but he done died before the milk was homo-gene-ized. An' after 'bout six others, she done got tarred of comin' up with names there. So she went and changed the "e" to "ia" and George (who was the doctor who done borned my grandmama of all her chillun and who was the first baby of hers who done died) became Georgia and dat's my mama's name.

Now, my mama an' my daddy, see, they from Nashville and they don't have much more 'magination than they folks, see? So my daddy's name was Bill and my mama's name Georgia ... well, my brother's name is Bill and my name is Georgia.

And that's all there is tew it. :hammer:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, y'see now, my mama ... who was borned in Nashville, Tennessee, was one of ten chilllun and her mama? Well, she done already named one of her babies George but he done died before the milk was homo-gene-ized. An' after 'bout six others, she done got tarred of comin' up with names there. So she went and changed the "e" to "ia" and George (who was the doctor who done borned my grandmama of all her chillun and who was the first baby of hers who done died) became Georgia and dat's my mama's name.

Now, my mama an' my daddy, see, they from Nashville and they don't have much more 'magination than they folks, see? So my daddy's name was Bill and my mama's name Georgia ... well, my brother's name is Bill and my name is Georgia.

:D

That thur's a beeuteefull name gurl. :asian:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That thar story dun brung a teer to ma eye. Ya'll shud be right prowd.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't really mean to hijack this thread ... the article provides the info I pretty much guessed - that the name was inspired by the same individual.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Georgia is the female version of George. George meaning Farmer or Earthworker.

I think because Georgia areas are both Farmer like areas maybe thats a possible reason.

CaffeineKing

White Belt
Reaction score
I've just noticed that the flag of Georgia (the country) looks like the flag of St George (England) so I'm guessing the original George - who slew the dragon - came from around there??

Georgia (the state) named after George III? Or George II? Or George I even! My middle name is George (named after my grandfather) so I'm sort of biased about how regal it sounds! :p

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thread!
icon14.gif

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Read the article linked in the OP, y'all. ;)

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I didn't really mean to hijack this thread ... the article provides the info I pretty much guessed - that the name was inspired by the same individual.
When you go on a tear you really go on a tear...