Why are boys failing in our schools?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My father was a teacher. At the time, he was one of the few men in elementary ed. To this day, he maintains that teachers, who are predominantly women, expect boys to behave the same as girls--and of course they don't. He feels there should be more men teaching elementary ed.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
I keep telling folks, schools should be run on the local level, but they keep telling me the federal government knows best.

Who is "They" ?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Who is "They" ?
'They' are a plot device, designed to be nit-picked when 'we' are bored, and have nothing better to do with 'our' time.
icon12.gif

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
My father was a teacher. At the time, he was one of the few men in elementary ed. To this day, he maintains that teachers, who are predominantly women, expect boys to behave the same as girls--and of course they don't. He feels there should be more men teaching elementary ed.

When I was in elementary school. I struggled the first few years and I think that part of it was because of what your father feels. My first four teachers were female and I had a real hard time learning from them. In the fourth grade I had my first male teacher, Mr. Gange, and he really turned education around for me. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I felt that I could learn in his class and that I could be me.

The other teachers were nice women...even my third grade teacher, who was an extreme disciplinarian, still cared about us. Yet, the classroom experience was different with them. One of the things that Mr. Gange did was set up competitions between us. We had spelling Bs, science trivia, and timed math tests that really forced me to my limits because I wanted to win. I'm not sure if that is a male thing, but it worked for me.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
'They' are a plot device, designed to be nit-picked when 'we' are bored, and have nothing better to do with 'our' time.
icon12.gif

Well, "they" could also be the same people who made NCLB. Both the left and the right want to stick their grubby fingers into the pie instead of just leaving it to the professionals. "They" read "A Nation At Risk" and flipped out...and they didn't bother to check who was actually being tested and compared. In the US, we test everyone. In other countries, they are more selective or fewer are actually in school. The poorest people in Singapore are illiterate, but their scores never make it into their averages.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
When I was in elementary school. I struggled the first few years and I think that part of it was because of what your father feels. My first four teachers were female and I had a real hard time learning from them. In the fourth grade I had my first male teacher, Mr. Gange, and he really turned education around for me. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I felt that I could learn in his class and that I could be me.

The other teachers were nice women...even my third grade teacher, who was an extreme disciplinarian, still cared about us. Yet, the classroom experience was different with them. One of the things that Mr. Gange did was set up competitions between us. We had spelling Bs, science trivia, and timed math tests that really forced me to my limits because I wanted to win. I'm not sure if that is a male thing, but it worked for me.
I agree Upnorth, I had more luck with male teachers myself. It's as though some female teachers, especially in early elementary education, don't know how to connect with young boys, and turn the experience in to a learning one.

Perhaps part of the problem is how we view women and men at that age. Perhaps it's easier for us to want to learn from men as young boys. I know I looked to my mother for comfort, but when I wanted to know something I went to my father. He's the one I wanted to emulate. Perhaps it's nothing more than that.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Perhaps part of the problem is how we view women and men at that age. Perhaps it's easier for us to want to learn from men as young boys. I know I looked to my mother for comfort, but when I wanted to know something I went to my father. He's the one I wanted to emulate. Perhaps it's nothing more than that.

Bingo. That is exactly how I felt. This would make a good argument for separating boys and girls in some classes in schools....which flies in the face of some education dogma.

Then there was also the fact that I was bored out of my mind in school. I didn't have any incentive until I wanted to win. Some people are really anti-competition, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Bingo. That is exactly how I felt. This would make a good argument for separating boys and girls in some classes in schools....which flies in the face of some education dogma.
It's not a bad idea. In fact, I think we'd have less behavior problems. Boys learn to be men...from men.

upnorthkyosa said:
Then there was also the fact that I was bored out of my mind in school. I didn't have any incentive until I wanted to win. Some people are really anti-competition, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing.
Boys are naturally competative. Girls, not so much so. Female elementary school teachers, most definitely not. In fact, most female elementary school teachers view competition as some sort of evil thing to be disuaded.

Perhaps you are right about male teachers in elementary school. Boys need competition (most anyway).

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
It's not a bad idea. In fact, I think we'd have less behavior problems. Boys learn to be men...from men.

Boys are naturally competative. Girls, not so much so. Female elementary school teachers, most definitely not. In fact, most female elementary school teachers view competition as some sort of evil thing to be disuaded.

Perhaps you are right about male teachers in elementary school. Boys need competition (most anyway).

I do think boys need competition, but I know a good many girls that do too, myself included. And though I realize the point of the thread is why are boys falling behind, I don't think a general get male teachers cause they can provide competition isn't the end all answer. I was just as bored as you all probably were in school growing up and that only began to change when my parents got involved and forced the teacher to make some changes.

I still think a lot of where things go wrong for boys in school goes back to the teacher and how your taught and if nothing is done to make it interesting, then you shouldn't be surprised if boys fall behind or have problems. Anyone is going to be bored staring at a teacher (male or female) talk all day and sitting and doing worksheets. I had a male elementary teacher who didn't teach any different than the women, his class was the most boring. You aren't likely anytime soon to get a large influx to all schools of male teachers, but there is nothing that says you can't begin to change the way all teachers are taught how to teach.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm a teacher and I've contemplated home schooling my kids so I can give them what they need developmentally in order to be successful. Our schools, as long as they are driven by outside forces that have no idea what they are doing, are only going to get worse. Top down mandates written by ideologues never work when it comes to education.

Can't really argue with the truth.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
I do think boys need competition, but I know a good many girls that do too, myself included. And though I realize the point of the thread is why are boys falling behind, I don't think a general get male teachers cause they can provide competition isn't the end all answer. I was just as bored as you all probably were in school growing up and that only began to change when my parents got involved and forced the teacher to make some changes.
Quite true. All boys don't thrive under competition, but many do. Most girls don't thrive well under competition, but some do. It's important to understand where the individual fits along that spectrum.

Ping898 said:
I still think a lot of where things go wrong for boys in school goes back to the teacher and how your taught and if nothing is done to make it interesting, then you shouldn't be surprised if boys fall behind or have problems. Anyone is going to be bored staring at a teacher (male or female) talk all day and sitting and doing worksheets. I had a male elementary teacher who didn't teach any different than the women, his class was the most boring. You aren't likely anytime soon to get a large influx to all schools of male teachers, but there is nothing that says you can't begin to change the way all teachers are taught how to teach.
No, most especially in the elementary levels. What male teachers there are coming in, avoid elementary school like the plague. That realm seems reserved for a certain type of female teach. The kind who like nurturing and still like the feeling that all the kids love her.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
No, most especially in the elementary levels. What male teachers there are coming in, avoid elementary school like the plague. That realm seems reserved for a certain type of female teach. The kind who like nurturing and still like the feeling that all the kids love her.

This may be true which is why my main point is nothing will change in how the boys do in school until you educate or push the teachers at all levels to change the way they teach and force them to begin to recognize that some groups need different motivators to learn and try to think outside of the box to reach students. If you have to do worksheet to learn something, why can't the teacher say, all that is needed is for you to complete it, but top score from last year on it was an 88, who thinks they can beat that. Though it is a cheesy example, my point is even when you have to do something you can present it in more than one way to try and engage more students.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think another thing is fathers. Kids need their dads. Dads need their kids. In a perfect world, there would be a lot less divorce than there is...but until that happens, I really think kids are being hurt by the way that fathers fathers are not treated equitably and sometimes even villified in family court

If I meet a divorced father...it hurts me to see the honest pain that he feels for not being around his children enough. I can't imagine the effect on boys...it must hurt them terribly!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, So many studies on this. My two cents here. Boys have a different learning patten from girls.

Boys need more hands on and girls learn faster at an early age.

How can American schools adopted new ways of teaching? It will never happen in our life time.....future may change this. Because computers will making learning more personal and individual. ...........Aloha

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
lady_kaur said:
I think another thing is fathers. Kids need their dads. Dads need their kids. In a perfect world, there would be a lot less divorce than there is...but until that happens, I really think kids are being hurt by the way that fathers fathers are not treated equitably and sometimes even villified in family court

If I meet a divorced father...it hurts me to see the honest pain that he feels for not being around his children enough. I can't imagine the effect on boys...it must hurt them terribly!
I agree most whole-heartedly. In my profession, I know MANY divorced fathers who try to make time between shift-work, two jobs, working weekends and holidays....and still make sure they pick up their kids on the one or two weekends a month they manage to get off work to pick them up.

In fact, where I work, the divorced parents are the rule, not the exception.

It would be horrible to be seperated from my two young children like that.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think another thing is fathers. Kids need their dads. Dads need their kids. In a perfect world, there would be a lot less divorce than there is

I think it's unfair to make the assumption that divorced fathers aren't involved with their kids. And the best studies don't necessarily indicate that divorce is a factor in school failure. A better indicator seems to be the way the parents relate to each other, and to the kids, regardless of marital status. I mean, you can't compare kids of divorce to kids of some ideal fantasy family. They should be compared to kids of some dysfunctional marriage where the parents stayed together. Any bets on which kids do better?

Latest Discussions