Parents Boycott Buffalo Schools over poorly performing students.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Parents who are upset their children are doing poorly in school, kept their kids home as part of a boycott. They also prayed a bit, and hung out on the steps of Buffalo City Hall.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43055010

Superintendent Dr. James Williams had this to say as a response: "Overall attendance in the district was near 53 percent today, compared to 61 percent on the last half day, May 9th. Without a doubt, attendance needs to be better every day for continuity of instruction."

So, your kids not doing well in school, so you keep them home. Good. While he was there, did you go over his lessons with him? Insist he crack his text books, put some time in studying? Nah, you let him go out and play. Education begins at home dumb ***.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Parents who are upset their children are doing poorly in school, kept their kids home as part of a boycott. They also prayed a bit, and hung out on the steps of Buffalo City Hall.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43055010

Superintendent Dr. James Williams had this to say as a response: "Overall attendance in the district was near 53 percent today, compared to 61 percent on the last half day, May 9th. Without a doubt, attendance needs to be better every day for continuity of instruction."

So, your kids not doing well in school, so you keep them home. Good. While he was there, did you go over his lessons with him? Insist he crack his text books, put some time in studying? Nah, you let him go out and play. Education begins at home dumb ***.

Sadly it's probably the kids that don't do squat anyhow that were in school...or the ones were the parents could not get a sitter, or don't care one way or another.

(around here homeschooling is popular....some do it for the wrong reasons, but generally it's an option)

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, keeping your kids out of school to protest poor academic performance is an interesting tactic to say the least. Perhaps the parents should take a little time to look up the word "irony".

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, keeping your kids out of school to protest poor academic performance is an interesting tactic to say the least. Perhaps the parents should take a little time to look up the word "irony".

I don't know, it seems like a good enough tactic, don't schools get money based on attendance? I was always taught if I want to hit someone or something where it really hurts do it in their pocketbook.
If those parents do not have the option of moving to other schools that perform better, then removing them and in turn their money from the poor performing schools sends a message.... improve it or we will continue to take your money away.
I have seen what is done in schools. take any typical school day of 7 hours or so, I bet you could get the same amount of work done in 2 hours of uninterrupted home time. Not saying that any of the parents did this... but still

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob its the teacher/systems responsibility to educate the kids, didn't you know that? If the child is doing poorly in school it's the school/teachers fault. The parents and children are all without blame or responsibilty here.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buffalo, its like a trailer park, without the trailer.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know, it seems like a good enough tactic, don't schools get money based on attendance? I was always taught if I want to hit someone or something where it really hurts do it in their pocketbook.
If those parents do not have the option of moving to other schools that perform better, then removing them and in turn their money from the poor performing schools sends a message.... improve it or we will continue to take your money away.
I have seen what is done in schools. take any typical school day of 7 hours or so, I bet you could get the same amount of work done in 2 hours of uninterrupted home time. Not saying that any of the parents did this... but still

I suppose the system is screwed up enough that every day is accounted for in the books in terms of money. (as if the school runs any cheaper when the kids are not in...)

However, I can see it with the inflexibility of the powers in charge that it takes something of a massive walkout to get their attention that some things aren't right.

Latest Discussions